Blue Angels

Rockets

This is a copy of an email I recently received. There are some really nice photos here. Check it out!

Check out these great San Francisco Air Show photos my friend, Bruck Hardman, took! I believe this is the same show in the video I sent out a few weeks ago that showed a Blue Angle F18 Jetfighter skimming the water between boats at around 700 MPH. Bruce did an excellent job! Thanks Bruce! I know you'll enjoy them as much as I did, for it will surely entertain you while you wait for the shuttle launch! Enjoy...

http://home.comcast.net/~bzee1a/

Had the oppurtunity to do some work in El Centro CA a couple of occasions. El Centro is in the valley and hosts a Navel Air Facility where the Blue Angels train. Other, too - Canada has a formation team that trains there.

If you like air shows; well it was like that every day - very loud, very close (I was working at the facility). Did get to lunch with some of the pilots and crews in the cafeteria.

No one in El Centro can use a car alarm - the jets would be setting them off all the time.

That is awesome.

Legal airspeed is 250 knots under 10000 feet. Air shows get a special waiver as the airspace is closed and cleared of all other aircraft.

The Blue Angels generally do their high speed passes at 400 knots which is about 550 mph. Looking at those shots, that is the speed I would say he is going. Hope those people in the boats were holding on when No 5's wake hit them.[:D] Looks like his afterburners were off which makes sence as that would have been serously deafening to those boat people.

I see Sean Tucker was there too in his Oracle pits special. Sean Tucker is always fun to watch fly too as he is the king of torque rolls. Sean has a 400hp engine in that plane. The stock engine is 220 hp. He was telling me at Oshkosh a few years back that he had enough torque to flip his plane on the runway if he accelerated his engine to fast on takeoff.

I saw the F22 last summer, amazing how quick that plane can corner.

JM

Very cool shots. Not breaking the sound barrier with that close of proximity to civillians however. I love the Angels - and air shows in general. Having been an Air Force Brat, I was privy to lots of open houses and shows over the years. They were always awesome.

Here are a couple of shots I got of the angels from the John Hancock building in Chicago when they came in 04. Yes - the planes were flying *below* me :)

http://www.robak.net/images/mil/2004blueangels1.jpg

http://www.robak.net/images/mil/2004blueangels2.jpg

Sheesh.....a friend of mine sent this link to me just this morning!! Amazing how fast something like this gets around cyberspace. Almost as fast as those F/A-18's fly.

JM - my Dad told me of how he nearly ground looped a P-51D back during WW2. Said he didn't believe the instructor was telling the truth about the torque of the engine and how good of a bite the prop could get.

I am amazed though that considering what happened at the Beaufort, SC Naval Air Show that they let the Blue Angels fly in such close proximity to civilians.

One things for sure.....these shots really bring to light the awesome capability of today's DSLR's. And to think Colterphoto fought against digital for all those years. [;)]

Tom