Please Help: Synergy F-3 mains w/ RC-62 center channel. Will this sound terrible together?

chazwylie

1st post; any help is appreciated.

Black Friday sale @ Best Buy I purchased a pair of Synergy F-3 speakers to upgrade a small Klipsch mini system I'd bought a couple years ago. I like them a lot and thought, what the heck, I'll buy a nice new center channel to finish things off (already had a good synergy sub and 2 small rears). Well, last night I did a little research and thought the RC-62 was the way to go. It was a little pricey but with what I'd read (70% of movie's dialog/soundtrack come through it...) this was the one speaker to splurge on so I ordered one.

Well, I was bored @ work today so I thought I'd read a little about my new speaker and now I'm scared to death. Something about timber and how my Synergy Mains wont sound right with my Reference Center... Well, I called the company to cancel the order (convinced I should have gone with the Synergy C-3 center channel). Well, my RC-62 had already shipped. It will cost me $100.00 shipping and re-stock fee to send it back!

SO, HERE's MY QUESTION: Should I keep the RC-62 or return it and get the C-3 (realize this will cost me another $100.00 over the price of the C-3? Will the difference in Timber (whatever that is) be so great between the RC-62 and my Synergy F-3s that things will sound off? I have no plans to upgrade in the future as this system is plenty for me.

I just thought that by getting a Klipsch center channel everything would be ok since all speakers are the same brand.

I didnt realize this home theater thing was rocket science. THANKS for any comment or suggestions.

It is important to have your speakers closely match in timbre. Picking speakers isn't rocket science, so don't get too worried about it. [:)]

Klipsch has two main home speaker lines: Reference and Synergy. The sound will be different between the two. Ideally it would be best for you to have a Synergy series center channel such as the C-2 or C-3 to go with your F-3s. As sounds pan across the speakers from left to right and right to left it will sound more natural and blended.

Would Best Buy let you return the F-3s you purchased? How much did you pay for them? One option would be to get the RF-52 Reference series speakers that are MSRP of $598/pair. I'm sure you could find an authorized dealer to sell them to you for around $475/pair or so.

Thanks for your imput. The klipsch mini-system that I added the F-3s to are Synergy as well (sub and rear speakers). I've learned that the front 3 (center and 2 mains) are the most important to match up but what about the rest of the system?

I got a good price on the F-3s: $220 each; I think retail is in the ballpark of $450.

So, since the sub and rears are synergy, do you still think I should try taking back the F-3s for the Reference series or just bite the bullet ($100) and return the RC-62 center and order a C-3 off Best Buy.com (I think thats the only place they are available).

SO, I definately should NOT keep RC-62 and match it with the F-3s right (Synergy Mains with Reference Center)? Will it really make that big a difference?

Thanks again.

Thanks Buckey. Thats kinda what I was wanting someone to say. I just hope your right. Have you heard both the Synergery and Reference, ever heard them together? It would cost me just as much to send the RC-62 back and buy a new C-3 as it would to just keep the RC-62. So, in that regards, cost is of no importance; I'll be paying the same for either speaker. Its just a matter of which one would sound best with my system. I watch movies and play video games 75% of the time, the other 25% listening to music.

BTW, I work in Columbus; live a couple hours south of there. Go Bucks! Beat the Tigers, huh.

As an owner of both Reference and Heritage series, and some one who loves to go to Best Buy, I am surprised they charged a restocking fee. I purchased an RC-52 from Best Buy, that afternoon I found it for a lot less from an authorized on-line dealer, so I returned the RC-52, they didn't apply a restocking charge. Maybe it's against the law in MA, lots of things are.

The rule is simple, Synergy stuff matches Synergy stuff, Reference stuff matches other Reference stuff, Heritage stuff matches other Heritage stuff. It's not just about Frequency response and efficiency, but also about timbre or sound characteristics unique to a line of speakers. I fell in love with the Reference as soon as I heard them, my Heresy II's now sit under a blanket. This really gets a lot of the Heritage people going, but hey everyone has their own taste. I see the Reference and Synergy series stuff as the company's future and the Heritage stuff, a fantastic past.

The Klipsch families each have a unique sound, I love Reference series, so I purchased everything with the purpose of matching. I wouldn't mix my Heresy II's with my RF-52's and RC-52... which go together nicely, they were designed as complementary stuff. Herein lies the rub, I would love to get a pair of the RF-82's but then I would have to upgrade my center channel as well. Instead, I'm buying an RSW-10d, a Reference series woofer. For back channels I'll go with RB series speakers. The unique sound characteristics of each line, Heritage, Reference and Synergy are part of what make Klipsch unique, all three lines are good. I don't thnk the Heresy II's would make good back channels for my Reference series stuff.

A lot of klipsch people seem to spend tons of money on this stuff, spend on what you really like and can afford (stretch a little), this stuff lasts forever. My mom got a pair of KHorns in 1962 and a Heresy center, she still has them all and the power equipment she bought with them. I bought a pair of Heresy II's back in 1985, they still sound as good as the day I first brought them home.

Listen to both Reference and Synergy series, figure out which one you like better and purchase the matching products for it. Klipsch pretty specifically shows how to match.

Happy hunting

Chaz,
IF you purchased the Center RC 62 from Best Buy, I would,

1. Contact the Manager
2. Explain your situation that you Purchased the F3 from them and didn't realize you'd gotten the wrong Center. They Should work with you.
3. See what he/she can do to exchange for a C3, because they should have expained about a re stocking fee upfront!

OR just listen to the RC 62 and see what your ears tell you. Good Luck.

hi everyone just joined the community yesterday and this is my first post.

we have slightly different problem. i bought a package last monday for the rf- 62 which consist of rf-62l/r, rc-52, rs42, and rpw10 at a very attractive price.

i'm very new to this HT world and don't know anything about timbre or crossovers. for the past three days i've read the forums and expert advices that the three front speakers should match. i've used for only three hours because i've just got my onkyo 805 and just test it and it sound good. i then disconnected it because i'm still waiting for my tv stand to arrive. my question are... is the diffrence of the two really that significant like night and day? or should i just keep the 52 and save a couple hundred dollars. would the different speakers would cause problem to the reciever?

thanks in advance for any help.

i don't know if this is worth the 3hrs drive there and back. but i came from an htib system. a tiny pioneer hitb from walmart that also sounds good since i havn't heard any comparisson. but i was amazed to hear this klipsch. i could hear the richness of the sound and the details that are not there on the pioneer htib. the tiny pioneer produces tiny sound. it's like night and day. now i want to know if it would be like that on the 52 vs 62. thanks

Keep the RC. If nothing else, you can later upgrade the rest of your system to Reference. As others said - returning it or exchanging it would be a serious downgrade.

• 1 year later...

1st post; any help is appreciated.

Black Friday sale @ Best Buy I purchased a pair of Synergy F-3 speakers to upgrade a small Klipsch mini system I'd bought a couple years ago. I like them a lot and thought, what the heck, I'll buy a nice new center channel to finish things off (already had a good synergy sub and 2 small rears). Well, last night I did a little research and thought the RC-62 was the way to go. It was a little pricey but with what I'd read (70% of movie's dialog/soundtrack come through it...) this was the one speaker to splurge on so I ordered one.

Well, I was bored @ work today so I thought I'd read a little about my new speaker and now I'm scared to death. Something about timber and how my Synergy Mains wont sound right with my Reference Center... Well, I called the company to cancel the order (convinced I should have gone with the Synergy C-3 center channel). Well, my RC-62 had already shipped. It will cost me $100.00 shipping and re-stock fee to send it back!

SO, HERE's MY QUESTION: Should I keep the RC-62 or return it and get the C-3 (realize this will cost me another $100.00 over the price of the C-3? Will the difference in Timber (whatever that is) be so great between the RC-62 and my Synergy F-3s that things will sound off? I have no plans to upgrade in the future as this system is plenty for me.

I just thought that by getting a Klipsch center channel everything would be ok since all speakers are the same brand.

I didnt realize this home theater thing was rocket science. THANKS for any comment or suggestions.

You'll be fine with the RC 62......,.,.

• 1 year later...

im wondering also how the rc-62 would sound with the rb-51's even though klipsch reccommends the rc-52 center channel speaker i have the synergy sub-12 and its sounds great with rb-51, i just dont want to compromise on the center since its suppose to be the best part when lot of your sound comes from.