Tube Amp

res757

I've been reading this forum for quite awhile. I'm looking to buy new tube amp and pre for the khorns and have seen many different combo's. Will prob do JM Merlin Pre. AND?..... have 2500 to spend for amp. My room will end up as 16wx26xL8h. I listen mostly to Classic Rock, Jazz and New age Jazz.

I know that there are used options but have reservations.

1990 KHorns all original. Denon DCM777, Denon PMA920.

KHorns I bought new and were made to order.

You should take a look in the Garage. Krudet has a set of pCats that would be awesome with those Khorns.

I am using pCats and a Blueberry Xtreme with LaScalas and love it.

Jeff

And I second this idea. I've had the same set-up as woodsman (except for the speakers...mine are Khorns) for three weeks, and am digging it! He's offering them at a good discount, too.

I second Nosvalves. I've heard the Bluebbery from Juicy Music with Craig's (Nosvalves) VRD's and it's quite a match. He has seperate monoblicks and a stereo amp.

Also, where are you located? There might be somebody from hear near you, they may have the gear your are looking at, and they may offer to have you over to hear it.

Thank all for their input, I live east of the Fort Wayne, In area. Nothing close to go and get some ideas. Usually make it to Indy once a month for business.

It would be nice to hear a few ideas live but have been listening to what you guys have said. Sounds like some very good ideas.

Rick

If your looking for what may be the last amp you buy go with the Pcats. If you are interested in having fun and exploring a lot of options go with some of the others and end up with the Pcats. I havent heard them all but I have heard a lot and owned a lot and IMHO juicy music pre matched with pcats are the cats meow!

Josh

Although I haven't heard pCATs myself, tube Class A by a master designer should be VERY nice, and would be my preference. Josh's testimony is worth considering.

That said, I know you cannot go wrong with Craig's VRDs. I believe the quality of those two units and the guys who stand behind them cannot be approached among store brands for less than twice the price, and probably more than that.

That was very interesting to read.(the links to shoot out?) I'm sure all of you know this........ It IS in the ear of the beholder. Everyone has their niche as far as what really gets them going.... and usually at a GIVEN moment. LOL right now, Peter White. Could be Steely Dan, Rush..... Who knows.

I've made no decisions as I will try to hear a few options. I will also continue to watch and read and enjoy all that you have to say. Music is bliss, heard well and re-produced.