Shipping Heresy.....

lakedmb

What is the best and cheapest way of going about shipping a pair of Heresy's?

Shipping company and packaging......... 

Thanks in advance.

I've recieved and shipped plenty of Heresy's via UPS and fedex. Just make sure that speakers are double boxed with at least 1/2 inch foam sheets between the speakers and box one, and between box one and box two. Make sure speakers do not move...use cardboard sheets to fill any gaps.

Home Depot sells foam in sheets.

UPS will ship these for about $40 each. FedEx ground might also be competetive with that.

I cannot emphasize enough the advice above on minimum standards for packing. You can take it to the bank that UPS or FedEx will drop these boxes on their corner from a height of five feet. That is a tremendoug amount of energy transferred to the corners of the Heresy cab.

The factory packing probably exceeds two inches on the corners.

How are you guys able to get shipping prices down?

I have been using UPS and FedEX's websites to get shipping quote and they are close to $60 for ground. DHL, $42, has been the cheapest so far and then USPS, at $45.

It seems some people can get shipping prices down to $40......do they use DHL? Would you guys trust DHL with these?

If you don't have a box, moving companies (North American, Atlas, etc.) usually sell boxes called "dishpacks," made for (you guessed it) packing dishes; they are triple-walled cardboard, and if you combine that with the foam boards mentioned above, it might do the trick. I know that the outer boxes for large speakers, like Fortes, use a triple-wall cardboard. The dishpacks are probably less than $10 each, and seem to be about the right size for Heresys.

i just sold my 75 set and shipped them today. i don't double box and i don't use bubble wrap. my local box shop sells me boxes that are 18x18x36. i buy two 4x8 sheets 1/2 thick of pink insulation from home depot and use every bit of it plus some extra laying around. gives me at least 2 inches all around. they end up being 18x18x26 after cutting them down to fit and they weigh 45lbs. each. this is way better than factory. all positive remarks from buyers. i have shipped at least 6 sets this way. all thru UPS

I have been using UPS and FedEX's websites to get shipping quote and they are close to $60 for ground. DHL, $42, has been the cheapest so far and then USPS, at $45.

It seems some people can get shipping prices down to $40......do they use DHL? Would you guys trust DHL with these?

box size is a big factor in shipping cost.....the cost of shipping empty boxes will surprise you.

when using the UPS calculator....use ground rates and go out at least 4 buisness days.

stay away from UPS stores......stores like STAPLES have UPS centers that have good rates and if you sign up for their rewards card...you get refunds on purchases....

i just sold my 75 set and shipped them today. i don't double box and i don't use bubble wrap. my local box shop sells me boxes that are 18x18x36. i buy two 4x8 sheets 1/2 thick of pink insulation from home depot and use every bit of it plus some extra laying around. gives me at least 2 inches all around. they end up being 18x18x26 after cutting them down to fit and they weigh 45lbs. each. this is way better than factory. all positive remarks from buyers. i have shipped at least 6 sets this way. all thru UPS

I use the same method as Budman on the Heresy's that I refinish and ship out. The UPS Store owner is a long time friend of mine and we use their 18x18x26 "dishpack" boxes which are double thick. Had only one problem with any damage in the last several years (box was dropped and plastic 701 horn lens was cracked from the weight of the driver hanging off the back) and UPS pretty much immediately paid the claim. They even let me keep the broken 701 and 53 driver which was still ok.

The problem with anything larger than a Heresy.... is that all of the shippers now charge by dimensional weight. The dishpack box "dimensional weight" is 40 pounds and even if what's in it is only 10 pounds, they charge for 40 pounds. This has really hurt any sale and shipping for Cornwalls, etc. According to UPS, it's the fuel costs.

When I was setting up UPS shipments online, printing labels and just dropping off at the UPS depot, this seemed to have cheaper prices than shipping from a UPS store. Haven't actually compared apples to apples, but this is my impression.

does any one know if this is so or not so? It would make sense of the UPS store has a surcharge built in to handle their overhead, but I don't know.

Is the price difference between $45 and $40 really all that significant? [:o] Don't forget to factor in the amount of time you spend trying to figure out how to ship the package...

I've found that UPS and FedEX have different rates for different areas of the country and for different sized packages. In other words, sometimes one is cheaper than the other.

Five dollars isn't significant, but when compared to UPS who is $15 more per package then it is something to consider. Personally, we have decided to go with FedEX since we have always had good service with them and with out last quote about 20 dollars cheaper overall than UPS. Also, we packed with foam all around, roughly 2 inches on each side.

The reason I brought up prices was not so much to complain about 5 dollars, but to ask how people are able to get such good rates with UPS when so far they have been the most expensive in CA. Each box weighs 45 lbs, is 18x18x26 (?), and is shipping from CA to SC. I guess different areas do have different prices because in SC it seems as though UPS is normally fairly cheap.

Thanks everyone, hopefully they will arrive in the same condition.

I've found UPS store more expensive......Staples UPS center cheaper....and the on line DIY the lesser of all if you can go out at least 4 buisness days to compute your rate.

for large packages....fedex vs UPS, in NYC shipping fedex is less expensive....but they are not in the local area....I would hit 4 UPS locations before hitting one fedex..

If you're sending packages off of the bay, I have been using a shipping product called ShipRush for FedEx. It's free and it interfaces and plugs in all your info from the sell. You also get cheaper pricing from what I've seen. A couple of clicks and your done. Couldn't be easier.