Blade Runner - Final Cut

mas

Being a big fan of the movie (and book - Phillip K D!ck's: Do Androids Dream of Electric Sleep)...Has anyone had the opportunity to see the new release and edit of Blade Runner - The Final Cut?

I would be interested in hearing your impressions... and how does it differ from the first two releases?

Also, there are a variety of packages with various extras...I am curious as to which components are worth investing...(...if other than the simple conclusion that everyone needs the 5 disk set!)

[;)]

Thanks!

I always wondered about that whole theory also. When Deckerd was being briefed, Captain Bryant, the head of the section advised that there were six missing replicants, but during the film, Deckerd could only account for five (one killed in the escape from off-world, Zhora, Leon, Pris, and Roy). But I really don't think that Deckerd was one of the "bad guys" group. There was apparently no sixth replicant; Bryant's dialogue line was incorrect and that's how that theory probably got going. The Scott comment that Deckerd was a replicant? Dunno, but probably (IMHO) he just stated it to "stir things up".

Quoting brmovie.com's FAQ's,

"An early version of the script called for a character called "Mary" (Stacy Nelkin was even cast in the role). The character's scenes were dropped due to budget constraints, but one reference to the extra replicant had already been recorded and survived the changes, creating a small continuity error in the process - and giving birth to a popular theory: namely, the idea that Deckard might himself not only be *a* replicant, but actually be part of Batty's group of escaped replicants! This would make Deckard the sixth replicant! The strange thing is that Scott had Walsh redo the line for an overdub but then decided not to use it. According to the theory, Deckard would have been captured and "reprogrammed" (false memory implants, like they did for Rachael). The fact Roy Batty calls him by name even though they've supposedly never met before might suggest Batty knew him, thereby giving impetus to this theory, although there are other equally valid ways he would find this out, such as Roy hacking into the police Esper, overhearing his name or just simply that Deckard has a well-known reputation as the ace Blade Runner. "Aren't you the good man?" In fact there are so many holes in this particular theory that many Deck-a-Reppers acknowledge it as just a continuity error. Incidentally, the fifth replicant, (the one that got fried), was called Hodge."

Interestingly there have been a number of academic dissertations on Blade Runner. The most interesting site that looks at Blade Runner is probably:

www.brmovie.com

• 1 year later...

i brought this movie un bluray without seeing it as I have read many people here speek very highly of it.

I think for its age they have done a great job on bluray as the picture and sound is excellent. but I just have not seen the whole movie.. i start playing it but i find it very slow moving and then i end up putting on another disc.

i know it must be a good movie I just have not given it the time it deserves.

Put simply, Ridley Scott owes me the purchase price.

A little extra footage in the hotel investigation is nice. A few cleanups are nice, too (opening scene, replicant number, running through glass scene, flying dove scene, snake merchant scene etc.)

However, the language change in the Batty/Tyrell scene from fker to father is pathetic and the extra blood and gore in various scenes adds absolutely nothing to the film and IMHO significantly detracts.

I'll stick with the prior 'Director's Cut'.