LED Christmas lights.

Daddy Dee

I saw first hand and up close yesterday an LED light setup for the first time (at least in a Christmas display)....

They look very "intense" and richly "color saturated". When comparing the LED setup (at night) used on a home next to another home with a standard light type, the differences were very noticeable. The LED setups really stand out.

The only caveat on these is the same as on currently produced standard lighting: The green cords contain lead (produced overseas), so it is important to wash your hands after handling/installing/uninstalling the lighting. NEVER allow one of these cords to end up in a child's mouth (and it is considered risky to allow children to handle these cords then place hand in the mouth as well).

These do seem to be a leap forward, not just for holiday lighting, but for many other portable light uses as well.

A few days ago I was on the Champs Elysee in Paris, they had them animated on all the trees. At night it looked like icy water flowing down the trees, my wife even commented on them and said we should do the same next year.

They do look pretty cool, but what is the cost vs the old style?

Walgreens had a set of 16 LEDs for $3.99. They are powered by two AA cells. I replaced those with two Ds. On the blink setting they alternated beween half the LEDs on and the other half on. One of halfs is red, the other is green with a few yellow. On blink, it reminds me of a railroad crossing signal. Left-right-left-right.

I put these on a plastic wreath for the apartment door.

The blinking worked out better when I added a second set. The frequency of blink is a little different and they heterodyne, which isn't bad.

I calculated battery life at about 40 days in blink mode but we'll see.

Walgreens also has them in white. If I had a patio and and an umbrella, I would set them up for summer use under the umbrella. It strikes me there is a summer use for these out in a yard where there is no a.c.

Gil