Klipsch at the Theaters

jamesV

Well for the first time I went to the movies last night, yes on new years eve, that had Klipsch speakers. I do have to say that this was a great experience. I told my gf that this is going to be the place from now on for movies. Is that me just being bias, maybe but she also agreed that the movie sounded great.

What speakers are used for the theater application?

James

There are quite a few....take a look thru the commercial section of the speaker pickoff back on the home page.

There are a few behind the screen models, and a few, not so behind the screen

On the home page of the web site. Called Theater Locator

How up to date is the theater locator or does it include "full blown" klipsch systems?

I noticed that the local cinema by my house has klipsch surrounds (don't know what is behind the screen) but it is not listed in the theater locater.

www.classiccinemas.com in the Chicago Burbs uses Klipsch. La Scalas in the front and multiple Heresys hanging from the walls on the sides and in the back. It is really outstanding. They also have digital projection screens at some of their locations.

I won't go anywhere else since I discovered them while out seeing 300.

Which suburb are you refering to? The one in St. Charles has some klipsch speakers on the sides (don't know which ones but they are not Heresy's) however the sound is not that impressive.

Guest srobak

If you search a half dozen chicagoland zip codes - you will notice there are only about 5 theatres in the entire area that sport klipsch. Considering how many theatres there are out here, that's a pretty dismal number. What gives?

www.classiccinemas.com in the Chicago Burbs uses Klipsch. La Scalas in the front and multiple Heresys hanging from the walls on the sides and in the back. It is really outstanding. They also have digital projection screens at some of their locations.

Classic uses the HPS 4000 system at the Tivoli and other theaters, that's considerably better than mere LaScalas behind the screen.

Classic uses the HPS 4000 system at the Tivoli and other theaters, that's considerably better than mere LaScalas behind the screen.

that's what the guy at the Oak Park theater told me. It doesn't surprise me about the Tivoli. I have heard great things about that place and have yet to make it down there.

Are they all the HPS 4000? Or, are some of the screens something else at the other locations?

James, et al--

I was fortunate to visit the new Malco theater complex here in Fayetteville, AR before it opened a few months ago.

Roy, Mark K., and Chuck Mulhearn (the Klipsch theater loudspeaker rep/engineer) were here to EQ the all-Klipsch systems in each of the 13 rooms and to evaluate one of the super secret surround models Roy has been working on.

Since I don't see the surround model listed on the Klipsch website, I won't comment other than to say it offered better coverage with far fewer enclosures than the other Klipsch surround models at another Malco theater we auditioned earlier that day.

The EQ process was to me very cumbersome. I believe the software was a THX product and all EQ & level functions were controlled via mouse/keyboard and virtual on-screen equalizer. Each of the seven arrays plus subs were EQ'd in-turn using 1/3-octave filters with pink noise source. There were four mikes set up about 2/3 back in the arena seating area and their outputs were averaged.

I'd say each array took 20-30 minutes to get the EQ dailed in to the industry standard X-Curve. That works out to over 45 hours of manually EQ-ing 13 rooms!

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_9_2/feature-article-curves-6-2002.html

UnEQ'd, the three identical front loudspeaker arrays were remarkably flat. Roy can tell you the model numbers but it might be the KPT-Jubilee-535. The subwoofer performance was awesome. The un-EQ'd subs had remarkably flat output down to 25 Hz with pink noise as a source.

http://www.klipsch.com/media/products/cut-sheets/KPT-JUBILEE-535.pdf

We watched a digital "print" of Transformers projected by a 30,000+ lumen DLP projector. Sitting 2/3 back, I was measuring 125dB peaks and, according to Mike, the Malco engineer, the system wasn't at "cinema level". BTW, the amplifiers in use were made by QSC and might have been the DCA3422 rated at 700WPC @ 8 ohms.

My primary impression of the Klipsch cinema system is that the dialog is very intelligible, the dynamic range is limited by the source material and the bass is to die for.

Let's see, one would have to spend $15k-25k for a home theater system that might come close to the Klipsch cinema system. But you probably wouldn't have sticky floors and cell phones going off every five minutes!!

Lee

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_9_2/feature-article-curves-6-2002.html'>