A new twist

Hunt

I've not been impressed by the movie theater for over 30 yrs or so. The picture and sound quality (or lack thereof), the mess, uncomfortable seats, etc. I took the kids to Nat'l Treasure 2 this week, and WOW was I impressed with the eye-popping color, crystal clear Huge widescreen and great sound (I hope they were commercial Klipsch!). With a new AMC theater nearby (Indianapolis/Castleton) I couldn't believe the dramatic improvement in equipment. while I love the High Def at home (bluray and Comcast HD), I will definately be going back to the movies once again. Other than an occaisonal trip to the local IMAX, I had pretty much given up on the dinky screens and artifact laden excuse for movie houses that have been churned out over the years. If you've not been to a theater lately - give it a try. Big, comfortable, roomy seating, and awesome picture (must have been 1080p)/sound. Any of the locals checked out that theater yet? Anyone else have similar experience? Just curious.

• Like 1

Here you go........

Klipsch - The Leader in Cinema Sound

If you’ve been to the movies in the last 27 years, chances are you’ve enjoyed Klipsch professional cinema sound. The world’s largest cinema chains, including Regal Cinemas and Malco Theatres, turn to us to provide the power, detail and emotion of today’s complex film soundtracks. In fact, one of every two new theaters in North and South America installs Klipsch.

Klipsch Theater Locator

Enter Zip/Postal Code*
(Required)

*Required Fields
LANDMARK KEYSTONE CINEMA

Indianapolis, IN 46240
Approx. 8.20 Mile(s)

REGAL GALAXY STADIUM 14

Indianapolis, IN 46256
Approx. 10.86 Mile(s)

REGAL VILLAGE PARK STADIUM 17

Carmel, IN 46033
Approx. 13.53 Mile(s)

REGAL SHILOH STADIUM 18

Avon, IN 46123
Approx. 19.59 Mile(s)

actually the last theater i was at had a full bar. it was the Imax near minneapolis...im only 3 days away from being legal! so i didnt partake at the time...but i might next time i go...although i think a beer was 5 bucks...typical movie theater prices...

I had the same experience on New Years Eve, my gf wanted to go to the movies and this is where we went.

AMC RIVER EAST 21

Chicago, IL 60610
Approx. 20.38 Mile(s)

GREAT EXPERIENCE

No sticky floors and very clean, I told her afterward that this is the place from now on. The last movie that I seen in the theater was "Mr. Brooks", and I can't even think of the one before that. I am now looking forward to going to the movies from now on, at least once a month.

James

• Moderators

Yep Ob it's hard to drag these old coot's out of the house, I can't stand people or kids talking during a movie. When they insist on talking here while watching a movie I just slowly turn up the volume, they get the idea, unless the movie sux !

I sympathies with you old coots. I am in the same boat for staying home, but I do go every now and then. I hate crowds also but if you go in the afternoon you will be alone in some theaters. You guys do need to go again to a new theater. The seating has improved now that it is stadium style and you may have also forgotten how exciting that big screen really is.

Guest srobak

I only go to the VIP section at Muvico near Ohare. Great, quiet seating. Free drink, popcorn, coat check, valet. Only way to watch a movie outside of the home.

Guest srobak

I hate crowds also so I wait about two weeks after the movie comes out and the theater is almost empty or about half empty.

Unfortunately this is also when they start moving it down the hall to the smaller theatre with the smaller screen and crappier sound system... in my experience anyhow.

I have not gone to a theater that the surround sound was better than my home theater, louder yes but not better. The only advantage is the big screen.

On movies with a lot of surround effects jets, spaceships going from behind to front or from front to back, bullets, etc my home theater does a better job of the sound going from front to back or back to front than any theater I've been to.

The big screen is what I go for.

I agree with JamesV. AMC 21 is a wonderful set of theaters. There is a bowling alley and bar off the lobby. I'll try that.

In my view there has been a cycle.

I saw the Beatles movie "Help" in first run (!). The sound system was much better than what any of us had at home. BTW it was a double feature with "The Russians are Coming." A terrifically funny movie during the cold war and set not to far from where I lived at the time.

I saw first run Star Wars at the Esquire (a big classic movie theater) in Chicago. Good sound and big screen but not up to what THX would demand.

Then the state of some / many theaters declined. The owners must have decided to milk their old cows to the last drop and not feed them. Sound systems must have suffered for this reason. Some were real ear wire.

Gil