New Forte owner questions

sberger

I was lucky enough to pick up a beautiful pair of '89 Fortes. I have been using Heresy's, which I love, but am really looking forward to adding these to my system.

I used the Heresy's without grilles, but what do most folks do with the Forte's?

Do folks typically just position them on the floor, or do they couple them with stands, or anything else?

Thanks in advance for helping this Forte newbie.

A great speaker, had a pair for 5 years. Keep 'em on the floor and experiment with their positions in your room. Go to www.cardas.com or a number of other sites that help with room set up and positioning of speakers. When you get the position right and you sitting in the 'sweet spot' you will not be able to wipe the grin off your face. Much like making love!

All the best

On the floor 12-16 inchs away from side wall, 10-12 inchs away from back wall, firing straight ahead. I have mine tilted back about a half inch. You are going to love them.

Tom

Tom,

You don't toe your's in?

And are you propping something under them to tilt them, or leaning them up against a wall?

My room is 14X25, I don't toe mine in. I tried toeing and found I liked them better firing straight ahead. I put some inexpensive spikes in the risers, screwed the rear spikes down and backed the front spikes out to pitch the speaker back, you could achieve the same results with a 1/2" piece of wood under the front of the riser to see if it helps or hinders. Mine sit on carpet. As a previous poster said, you will have to play with them until you find the sound you like. There is a wealth of info here and many helpful folks. Don't feel like there is only one right way. Experiment.

Tom

I know I only have Quartets but on the floor, about a foot and a half to two feet from the back wall and about a foot from side walls...toe'd in about 45 degrees...when you find "that spot" you will really dig these over the Heresys...mine made me reluctantly move on from my beloved Heresys...

Bill

Well, after listening for about 12 hours or so, gotta say that it's a much different experience than the Heresy's. Warmer, punchier. The Heresy's were more trebly, but not harsh. The Forte's soundstage better, and the mid's are terrific. And of course, the bass thumps bigtime with the Forte's.

Still experimenting with placement. The great thing about the Forte's is that I can get them to be rigid on the floor. With the Heresy's on stands, I had problems. I live in a 60+ year old house with wood floors, and there is some level problems. You could rock the H's back and forth on their stands, although that didn't happen when playing music. Still, I know it wasn't good for the sound. The Forte's, however, are rock steady. Gotta believe that's a good thing.

Thanks again to everyone who posted in this thread. Yes, experimenting is good, but also good to hear from experienced owners.

I just figured out that my Forte's are from '87. Are there better/worse years for them, or are they all pretty much the same?

I have had both Forte and Forte II's and listened to both side by side and thought the Forte was a slightly more dynamic in sound. I then moved them to my basement and found the bass was too boomy. It's all about room acoustics and placement. I still have the II's in the living room and found a pair of Lascala's for the listening room in the basement, now there is a wonderful speaker. What ever you have is what you enjoy.

t

My current amp is a 6wpc SEP. It worked beautifully with my Heresy's, but there seems for some reason to be a bit less clarity, if you will, so far with the Forte's. The sound is certainly deeper, there seems almost to be a slightly veiled presentation. Could be I need to get used to the sound. I would think 6 watts would be fine with Forte's, but have been reading on some other forums that the Forte's typically like 10wpc and up, and that the Cornwall would be better at less than 10.

Would love to get some thoughts on this.

Thanks.

Well I think I found out my problem. The amp is fine, but my preamp has adjustable gain control from 0-36 volts. I was probably down around 10, now I'm up to about 20 volts. No more strain, just a lot of punch and in your face music. The Decware pre and amp I'm using really work well together in tandem if you give them the chance. And I'm really finding that out.

I also played with setup, and measured everything to make sure both speakers were equally apart from my rear wall. Never did that before, and I'm sure it's helped.

I may still replace the caps, but for now things are sounding a whole lot better.

Thanks for all your help. The veil has lifted.