1972 Klipschorns K-D-FR

Tony Perri

Hi everyone, another new guy here. I'm hoping you can help me. I have a chance to buy a vintage Klipschorn (1972, serial number 4K180 and 4K181) These are the basic decorator's model, K-D-FR and I was led to believe they aren't as popular as the B series with risers and grilles on the sides. They were originally raw fir but have recently been veneered in light oak and are in mint shape with original parts inside (AA crossover). My question is, are these worth buying or should I wait until a b series model comes up? I have a feeling I'm paying more for the veneer than the speakers ($3,800).

Thanks guys for any help you can give me here.

Tony.

Be careful Tony, go slow. That's a high price, unless they are really special and local to you.

Do they have grills and new top sections for the horns? Or do they just have the oak on the front of the Decorator cabinets?

Where are you located?

There's a fairly nice pair of Walnut Khorns in Nebraska on ebay right now, no bids yet at $1500. They have some cosmetic issues, but nothing that can't be fixed. Big difference here, because unlike the Decorator model, the top horns are in a cabinet, they have grills, B style cabinet, hardwood veneer, and they were originally factory finished.

Greg

Thanks all of you for some very important advice. I did not go through with the purchase after all and I'm glad I didn't. It helps to stop and think before acting on an impulsive purchase.

These Klipshorns were recently oak veneered on both the front and the sides (no side grills) but had no riser between top and base bin. They were also fir not birch.

I am located in Toronto, Canada. I will keep looking for a B series Klipschorn, the type of veneer or finish isn't as important as the condition.

Having owned Cornwalls a few years back made me realize that with Klipsch, you don't just hear music but get an emotional realism you can feel.

Thanks again, guys for you input and I will keep looking. At least will turn up eventually.

The '72s you described fall into a ballpark range of maybe $1,500-$2,000 if they are pretty nice. I would deduct money for a home veneer job. The stock originals are probably worth more unless an expert veneered them. The seller will never get anywhere near $3800 for those. So....if you like them and they are nice, you may want to suggest he look at the going prices for his model type and then offer him a significantly lower price. This way it doesn't look like you are low balling. It may take a while to find another pair........If the price is the only problem why not try and make the problem go away?

Thanks Mark. You're right. I did tell him that this was the D version not B or C. He said, "what are you talking about? What's B, C, D?" After hearing that I knew I was wasting my time. I will find out how much a new pair of walnut laquer Klipschorns cost and try save up the money.

a new pair of walnut laquer Klipschorns cost and try save up the money

Not to butt in here but if you're going to do that, (and put sound over asthetics) you might want to investigate the Jubilee. You can "probably" get the Jubilee for similar (or less?) dollars than a new pair of Khorns but with the Jubilee, have the last vision PWK had for his beloved Khorn.

I'm not saying they're pretty as they are (do a search on Jubilee & grab a hot pot of coffee) but they sound pretty stupendous.

.02 and all that

[:D]

The 535 is the three-way theater version. The home one that almost all Jubilee owners have bought is the two-way version. It's a custom order, so it's not on the Klipsch website. The home Jubilee uses the 535 bass bin, but the K-69 tweeter is fitted to the K402 mid-range horn, making it a two-way system that sounds really good, from every report on it that I've read.

Some have the smaller K510 horn on top, which is the one shown in the picture of Paul Klipsch standing beside the first home version of the Klipschorn Jubilee, or Jubilee for short, or Jube for very short. Most people prefer the K402.