Cornwalls Back in Business

tom b. 57

I replaced the K77m's in a pair of Cornwalls that I had for sale. I can't believe that I didn't realize the darn things were blown when I bought them. Now, with the fully functional tweeters, there is some hesitation on my part to sell them. But, alas, I must. No room in the Inn for these babys. This was my first time replacing drivers in any speaker. I really don't know why I have always been so worried about the procedure. It couldn't get much easier. Well off to list them on craigslist.

Tom

Why not post them in the Garage Sale forum?

I live in the Seattle-Tacoma area and there are not many members in this area. I certainly would not ship them. Besides, I need to get $650.00 for them and would feel compelled to sell them for less on this forum. I feel that there is a comraderie (probably spelled this wrong) here and I would want to give a break to another forum member. That wouldn't be the best choice for me at this time.

Tom

Why would you need to sell them for less to a forum member ???? Any good, honest forum member, which there are many, know the value of a speaker, and a good speaker, for a good price, will pay your asking price without any [bs] .......... $650. for a pair of decent Cornwalls, plus they have new tweets, that's a fair price, without seeing them, forum member or not ..................

For once, I agree with old Pops....[:o]

Let me put it this way... would YOU pay "fair value" for something from someone that you felt you could trust 100% and they were giving you the straight up story on the item, verses paying the same value to a stranger on ebay who might be sending you a pile of junk? I'd rather pay the person I KNOW and trust the full value than a total stranger. Their integrity has some value to me...(well....except for Old Pops [bs] [;)])

I don't agree with the logic that any seller here "has" to cut his price for forum members. If he CHOOSES to do so, that's one thing but I don't like the pressure of suggestion that he should.

For once, I agree with old Pops....Surprise

Let me put it this way... would YOU pay "fair value" for something from someone that you felt you could trust 100% and they were giving you the straight up story on the item, verses paying the same value to a stranger on ebay who might be sending you a pile of junk? I'd rather pay the person I KNOW and trust the full value than a total stranger. Their integrity has some value to me...(well....except for Old Pops PWK BS ButtonWink)

I don't agree with the logic that any seller here "has" to cut his price for forum members. If he CHOOSES to do so, that's one thing but I don't like the pressure of suggestion that he should.

I didn't mean to imply that a forum member has to give a break in price. I was only stating that I, myself, and only me, would want to give a break in the price. My reasoning behind that is, you guys have given me great advice and as stupid as this may seem to some, if I were to sell to a forum member I would put that forum member on a level with my friends that I am in contact with in my personal life. The forum community supports one another and they may differ on subject matter at times and things may get a little heated from time to time, but, at the end of the day there is support for each other. That seems to me to be a trait of a close knit community that I am very happy to be a part of. If I were to sell this to a friend, I would not try to make a profit and I feel the same way when it comes to this forum community. You can call me strange or whatever, but that is basicly my feelings on this issue.

Tom

Ok, your right Tom .............$300. for the pair ? ........... No, just kidding, really, most members here know what a good price is, and I think most of us will pay what the seller is asking, and not take advantage of fellow forum members. I find E-bay and Craigslist one has to be careful, craigslist is getting bad with rude, tirekickers that just make comments with no intentions of buying ....... Your speakers, do what you want, but don't be afraid to ask a good price for good product ............. Good Luck !!!!!!!!

Gee, COYTEE is in my corner on this, I better watch out, wonder what's up? ........... Weak moment, I guess ..............

I didn't mean to imply that a forum member has to give a break in price.

Tom, please pardon me if it sounded like I was directing that towards you. I was not...it was really, just a more general comment. There HAVE been instances where forum members have (IMHO) suggested that the proper protocol is to give forum members a discount.

If someone chooses to do that then it is certainly their business. For example, I 'gave' away a pair of AA networks to Jay because he was trying to put some LaScalas together and I had them laying around. Now...had someone suggested I should do that... would have offended me a bit as it's not their business if I want to give them to him or try to charge him $2.00. (I might even add that I paid to ship them to him)

A lot of intangible value changes hands here and that's cool as beans! [Y] Why...I'm about .008294723934% sure that Craig would tell you that my blatherings on the Jubilees are of very intangible value... [:o] [;)]

My over all point (and wasn't directed to you specifically) is... it's someones CHOICE as to what they want to ask for something. Choosing to give a discount is find/dandy and is just as valid as asking for FMV

I didn't mean to imply that a forum member has to give a break in price.

Tom, please pardon me if it sounded like I was directing that towards you. I was not...it was really, just a more general comment. There HAVE been instances where forum members have (IMHO) suggested that the proper protocol is to give forum members a discount.

If someone chooses to do that then it is certainly their business. For example, I 'gave' away a pair of AA networks to Jay because he was trying to put some LaScalas together and I had them laying around. Now...had someone suggested I should do that... would have offended me a bit as it's not their business if I want to give them to him or try to charge him $2.00. (I might even add that I paid to ship them to him)

A lot of intangible value changes hands here and that's cool as beans! Yes Why...I'm about .008294723934% sure that Craig would tell you that my blatherings on the Jubilees are of very intangible value... SurpriseWink

My over all point (and wasn't directed to you specifically) is... it's someones CHOICE as to what they want to ask for something. Choosing to give a discount is find/dandy and is just as valid as asking for FMV

I understand where your coming from. Thank you for clarifying. I did not take it personal. It is just that in my little peabrain I would feel guilty knowing I made a profit off of somebody who's friendship or help in any way has enriched my life, whether it be on a personal level, financial level, or knowledge level in this hobby of ours. The joy I receive and theraputic value of music heard over the Klipsch speakers in which I have is priceless. I know that $650.00 is a good price for Cornwalls that function properly and are in good physical condition. Hell, I paid $850.00 two years ago for the ones I have in my front room. I guess it is just an ethical thing for me and only me. The knowledge and help along with the kindness I have received on this forum has been second to none, in my opinion.

Tom

Perhaps a short story as to why I feel this way might help (again, this is NOT directed at anyone)

When I first came to this forum... I ended up seeing someone who was selling something that I was very interested in. This item does NOT come up often (ebay) and I was 100% sure I wanted and, (not to sound crass) I didn't really care WHAT his asking price was... I knew I wanted it. I would have probably paid $1,000 without blinking.

I made comment that I was interested and as I recall he gave me a price (I think maybe $900?). Later, he said he was going to reduce the price because of a forum buddy (I think to $800?). Well, this was wonderful and fine & dandy HOWEVER, I was perfectly happy paying his asking price because it was the item I wanted and the price was of second concern to me.

As it unfolded and I was getting the cash scrounged up...I received another email from him, apologizing profusely. Seems he had a change of heart and "I really need the cash, and don't want to take less by selling on the forum so I'm going to sell it on ebay"

Well... we had clearly reached an agreement...HE then chose to lower the price then got remorse and I suppose, he got a bit greedy. I watched the item on ebay and as I reflect (it's been several years) he got about what his original asking price was to me.... a price I would have been HAPPY to pay and all he really accomplished was irritating me towards him because of his rescinding the transaction AND doubly irked at him because he caused me to NOT get the very item I was after (again, something that doesn't come up often)

I have never forgotten that and to be real honest.... when it happened, it rather soured me on "forum discounts" because had he simply stuck with his asking price, his forum buddy would have been HAPPIER to pay 'full' price and get the goods, rather than have said item yanked away and sold to someone else for what was essentially, the same price.

Put another way, my "forum discount" cost me the entire unit. I found one later on so I have what I want but I don't know that I'd ever deal with this individual again, just on principle of nothing else.

I've seen others (on the forum) buy/sell with him and I've never said a word about this. I don't care to make it into an issue.

I have to agree with Coytee on this one, about forum members asking price. To date I have purchased four items from members here. Every time I paid the asking price, with out a second thought. I figured that if that is what they are asking, they know the products condition, and I am willing to pay it then I will purchase it. I have been very fortunate to pick up two receivers, a pre amp, and my Cornwalls all thanks to this madness. I have also sold one item, an amp, to a forum member. Like it was stated, everyone here knows what these speakers are worth and everyone has the max that they are willing to spend on that item. If you do put them up you can look at it as helping a nothing member get something they are looking for without having to deal with ebay or craigslist.

just my 2 cents,

James

E-bay is just awful ........ craigslist has it share of Jerks too ...... I wanted to buy from forum members, but the real nice one's, like Jacksonbart got, was more of a journey than I wanted, or can do ......... I bought from a guy on Audiogon , Audiogon seems to be more serious audio people to me ....

E-bay is just awful ........ craigslist has it share of Jerks too ...... I wanted to buy from forum members, but the real nice one's, like Jacksonbart got, was more of a journey than I wanted, or can do ......... I bought from a guy on Audiogon , Audiogon seems to be more serious audio people to me ....

I just shipped the Cornwalls to Montana to real cool gentleman that is really happy to be getting them. He already has some RF Series speakers. Had great communication with him and I do believe these speakers will be well taken care of.

Don't be discouraged with craigslist or Ebay there are plenty of good people out there.

Tom