straight dope on Monster cable

Daddy Dee

I may not be a Monster Cable fan, but aren't 50-100% markups typical on lots of retail stuff? On furniture, for instance? It seems more glaring on audio cable because prices vary from pennies a foot to thousands of dollars a foot and it's still just copper wire, or silver in some cases.

Monster is not the only one with crazy-sounding prices. Does it really cost so much to produce those cables that sell for over $5000 for an 8-foot pair? There are several brands of them, along with lots of magazine reviewers to rave about them.

Monster is a bit tricky in that it's hard to find out what wire gauge any of their cables are, making it difficult to compare them with other brands.

Monster Cable is fine , it's all clearly labeled as to what gauge it is. They are no different than any other Seller, if they can get Top Dollar they want it. If you surf the net, you always find a sale on Monster Cable, especially, speaker wire ...... amazon had 16 gauge, 100 ft Roll, delivered to my door, for $20.00, that in my opinion, is a good deal ..............

Forget what member posted this, but check them out for all cables .... www.monoprice.com ... great site, good prices, FAST service .....

Monster Cable is certainly not worth what you pay for it. That being said, my system is mainly connected with Monster Cable that was purchased several years ago when I believed the salespeople who told me it was the best.

The markup on those cables doesn't seem to be that bad. I would have guessed it to be higher than 80% over cost. In most industries there is a huge difference in wholesale vs. retail price.

"After having a monster cable crap out on me"

Could you enlighten us a little on this? Cables are inert, there is nothing to fail unless it was built improperly or perhaps it became extremely oxidized. Not picking on you I am just not clear on what you mean.

Personally I am in the buy the cheap stuff camp.