My new subwoofer project

michael hurd

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[:o]

You have the KING of subs with this one Mike ! Even the Mighty Gotham has to bow down !

Top quality/performance drivers matched to the best PR's in a an optimal and gorgeous top quality cabinet... this is the centerpiece of a grand system.

Mike you have a PM. Thanks

I see cabling, have you fired it off yet?

Not yet,,, that is what today is for! I had an issue with a lack of machine screws for the T-nuts. Stainless is soft, and some of the T-nuts are not properly formed resulting in a smearing of the threads. This is frustrating, back it out, and install another one ( threads in fine! ) GRRR...Let me tell you that drilling 48 holes, installing 48 t-nuts ( 6 prong ones ) and installing 48 machine screws takes a good amount of time.

Got more screws and am going to grab my QSC in a bit, nothing like waking up the neighbourhood. [:o]

I really love using the Neutrik speakons.... they are beautiful, push, turn and locked. I will never use another type of connector again ( I was a diehard 5 way binding post guy before ) but these rock. As far as getting the 4 conductor Carol 12 awg wire into the speakon, you have to ( 1 ) throw away the strain relief .... and ( 2 ) slightly enlage the bore ( ID ) of the connector shell with a 5/8" drill bit. This can be done by hand, as the plastic is soft enough. The outer shell is still a tight fit on the cable, I feel that strain relief in this case is a non-issue.

I see cabling, have you fired it off yet?

Not yet,,, that is what today is for! I had an issue with a lack of machine screws for the T-nuts. Stainless is soft, and some of the T-nuts are not properly formed resulting in a smearing of the threads. This is frustrating, back it out, and install another one ( threads in fine! ) GRRR...Let me tell you that drilling 48 holes, installing 48 t-nuts ( 6 prong ones ) and installing 48 machine screws takes a good amount of time.

Got more screws and am going to grab my QSC in a bit, nothing like waking up the neighbourhood. Surprise

why didn't you use hurricane nuts?

I figured with a finished weight north of 500 pounds, rocking would be a non-issue, but I have witnessed some slight rocking at higher excursions. [:|]

The result? I need to fix a few air leaks and add more power. ( currently enough to get the drivers moving, but they want more! ) In the garage where it is currently located, I shook some spray cans and bottles off a shelf with low bass from Three Days Grace. I also experienced panel vibrations. ( the garage walls, not the enclosure )

The fluorescent tubes were making some rattling noises and so on.. but I can't wait for the final in-room result.

• 2 months later...

As an update.... had money all set aside for more power amps... and another LMS came up on eBay. I was going to build a smaller box utilizing the TC 3000 I already have and the pair of 18" black cone TC passives I have sitting here already. I won it, and it is going to be shipped this coming wednesday after crating. [:D]

I am pretty sure I will just build a half sized version of "The Beast".... but I might go with a simpler rectangular construction.

Thanks Elden... ! The maple is just gorgeous, I can't thank my guy enough for his work in machining and gluing up the panels that make up the accents. The paint really turned out well, and as far as the windows... well I might be in trouble. Pretty wild when you can put your entire weight against a wall, yet have it move sympathetically.

[:o]

... and as far as the windows... well I might be in trouble. Pretty wild when you can put your entire weight against a wall, yet have it move sympathetically.

Surprise

Now that I'd say qualifies as a REAL SUBWOOFER. Very SERIOUS SUBWOOFER. I agree with Dtel, you are a sick, sick man, in a good way of course.