Church Fellowship Hall sound project

Daddy Dee

Tony Reed and I have been thinking toward putting together a PA for a church fellowship hall for fairly light PA duty. It's a room approximately 30 x 65 with a small stage at one end. We're not anticipating much heavy full band type use, but for occasional praise and worship.

I've been imagining some sort of rolling rack with a mixer on top for portable use. Don't want to deal with having to put speakers on tripod stands, though, so some permanent speaker installation would be preferred. (Maybe I can get some pics of the room posted)

We've been thinking of building something like Heresy to use for mains and have tossed the idea around that it might be better to have a single speaker in the middle than a pair.

We've been impressed with a center channel project on the forum:

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/85987/866167.aspx#866167

This is built using 8" Dayton series II woofers in a single cab.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=295-100

For this function as a main PA speaker, would it be better to have them direct radiating to the audience or in the manner of the center channel link above.

Also, the VAS: 1.34 cu.

Does this mean that the optimal cab has this volume?

If intending to use two drivers sharing the same cab, does the volume need to be twice this?

Is it better for each woofer to have it's own sealed cab volume?

Would a ported cab be advantageous for this purpose?

We expect to use a K55 mid w/k700 and CT125 tweeter.

Would there be any advantage to making a pair of these (as three ways) over a single with two woofers?

We are also considering building a single or pair of subs something like the original cornscala cab about 2'x2' volume.

Any alternative suggestions for a diy sub?

Any help appreciated.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a couple ideas for the rack, both Gator and SKB make a lot of stuff along these lines, rolling, wrap up tight when not in use. They can be economical if you forego the use as a mixer stand and just grab a rolling SKB with whatever space you need. You can sit stuff on it, but it's probably too low on the side for mixing.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/SKB-SKBRLX-RollX-Rack-Case-with-Wheels?sku=544590

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gator-GRC10X12-PU-Popup-Console-Rack?sku=546162

The sonotube style subs seem among the easiest to construct to me. Especially if you could work them into the decor somehow. Artificial plant stands or something perhaps.

Nice project btw.

Dee, I don't know if this would help you or not... I've got a pair of industrial Heresies (kpt 250???) (I don't know the numbers but can look when I get home)

Anyway, they are Heresy's with handles on top and the hole on bottom for a pole mount, armor corners & screw on front cover. Though I paid $350 for them, if you could use something like that, I'd wiggle around on the price. If of course, you're not looking for something like that then ignore my comments.

Bought them for my seminars and I just don't know if I see us ever lugging them around (while wearing suit/tie) and setting up a sound system for a 1 hour presentation... thus far we've been able to simply project our voice well enough.

I think what Richard meant to say was, "How about Jubes??"

Stepping stones Fini... first I lure them in with the Heresy's...

Dee... preparing a pm now. Then again... thinking of how these are pole mounted and the pole receiver on the bottom... have you ever heard "Fini on a stick"?? [:o]

Any chance of getting a rough sketch as to the layout of the room? And what kind of budget are we talking here? (besides as cheap as possible).

I would not recommend that center channel approach for your application because polars are going to be the most important attribute in this application. Running a mono speaker in the middle, or a mono cluster of speakers in the middle is always a much better approach than running a stereo pair. And if possible, you'd want the subs centered in the middle too. Is there a stage they could tuck under?

How tall is the ceiling? It might make sense to have the woofer section for your mains also perform subwoofer duty. A K48 would be perfect for the application, or a JBL2226H or all sorts of other Eminence drivers from Partsexpress.

Here's a pic. Again, to reiterate... if there is no interest, my feelings aren't hurt. If there is no interest and someone else decides they want them then let me know.

Otherwise... I've got $350 in them (don't know if that was good deal or not), the less I get for them, the less effort I want to put into boxing/shipping... Perhaps if I am able to go to Indy, I can bring them with me unless something else can be arrainged.

post-15072-1381936089497_thumb.jpg

Of the two speakers, the binding posts on this one have evidently been replaced. At the risk of sounding rude, I think it was replaced with a much cheaper one than standard... there is just a very lightweight "plasticy" feel about it whereas the other one has a heavier feel about the plastic. I'd guess the other is original and this one was clearly replaced.

post-15072-1381936089579_thumb.jpg

Hi Dee. We've emailed before and you bought some stuff from me. I'm in LR also and have some stuff laying around that you could probably use. Do you have the drivers for your project yet??? I've got some 12" KP-22-E woofers, a used K52Ti driver, and an unnumbered 12" very efficient woofer that might help. I could help with the cabinets as well. I'll email you.

Dee/Tony,

Our church was looking for something quite similar last year. Our fellowship hall is a tad larger (44' x 62' with 23' ceilings) and is not conducive to high quality sound reproduction so we went with a karaoke machine that has been mounted on a cart with wheels. The cart has a large bottom area where the karaoke machine resides and a shelf on top of that where the power strip and dvd player sit. The projector is on the very top of the cart. I will be over there tomorrow morning so if you would like to see a picture I can accomodate you.

This setup makes setup/takedown a total breeze. One other nice feature of the karaoke machine is the ability to hook up microphones to it. As far as sound quality goes it's not the best but I've had LaScalas in the same room not sound much better (due to room acoustics).

Hi Dee. We've emailed before and you bought some stuff from me. I'm in LR also and have some stuff laying around that you could probably use. Do you have the drivers for your project yet??? I've got some 12" KP-22-E woofers, a used K52Ti driver, and an unnumbered 12" very efficient woofer that might help. I could help with the cabinets as well. I'll email you.

Yes, thanks for the thoughts. Those would indeed be helpful in our project.