Randy Jackson discusses why "cd sales are down"

Guest srobak

I've not posted here in a long time and just started the other day. This thread, I think, we can all understand. At another website I've been at, too much, there is a guy who does "Play Overs" for guitar. He live in LA and is disgusted in the music industry. He has commented that "we've all heard him before" but will not tell anyone who he is for privacy issues.

Anyway his comment is that the recording industry is giving contracts to these kids with "the look" and not so much with the talent. The lions share of his work comes from "clean up" work in the studio. Basically, when one of these "no talent" bands records and the guitar track stinks, the studio will call him in to rerecord the track. He said, most of the time the band never even knows he's done it. He said he's seen the kids face look like "wow, I'm good" when hearing the guitar track.

Point is, theres a TON of crap out there. What I find is that it seems a group will record one good song on a CD and the rest will be utter CRAP! In the past it seemed like artists wanted to record a good quality CD/Album from start to finish...something you could put on and enjoy, not struggle through to get to the good song.

Yes we noticed you have been awol.....glad you're back! Its about time to start talking college basketball again and then in the spring we can dig up that barbeque thread and breathe life back in it. And we have'nt discussed our latest Scotch find....Woops I am hijacking someones thread[:$]

I've not posted here in a long time and just started the other day. This thread, I think, we can all understand. At another website I've been at, too much, there is a guy who does "Play Overs" for guitar. He live in LA and is disgusted in the music industry. He has commented that "we've all heard him before" but will not tell anyone who he is for privacy issues.

Anyway his comment is that the recording industry is giving contracts to these kids with "the look" and not so much with the talent. The lions share of his work comes from "clean up" work in the studio. Basically, when one of these "no talent" bands records and the guitar track stinks, the studio will call him in to rerecord the track. He said, most of the time the band never even knows he's done it. He said he's seen the kids face look like "wow, I'm good" when hearing the guitar track.

Point is, theres a TON of crap out there. What I find is that it seems a group will record one good song on a CD and the rest will be utter CRAP! In the past it seemed like artists wanted to record a good quality CD/Album from start to finish...something you could put on and enjoy, not struggle through to get to the good song.

Why I am not inspired to buy CDs (and kids as well)

1. When I was paid $ 5.00 per hour LPs were $ 5.00. Now the CDs are 2 times the hourly wage of a kid.

2. Marketing of music without talent is an obsession with the mega music industry. I have no explnaation. Small labels focus on talent.

3. No dynamic range.

4. Although I am a rocker, listening to a Benny Goodman LP from the early 1960s is more involving than any rock of today.

What new rock artist introduced in the 1990s will people be obessed with seeing live or buying music from 20 years from now ? Green Day? It makes a short list.

Point is, theres a TON of crap out there. What I find is that it seems a group will record one good song on a CD and the rest will be utter CRAP!

That sums it up pretty well, Kids, Young Adults buy single songs for their I-pods, they don't buy whole discs anymore, guess they wised up. I also consider myself a Rocker, but would much rather listen to Benny Goodman, or Duke Ellington BIG Bands than that stuff they call rock today.

Anyway his comment is that the recording industry is giving contracts

to these kids with "the look" and not so much with the talent. The

lions share of his work comes from "clean up" work in the studio.

Basically, when one of these "no talent" bands records and the guitar

track stinks, the studio will call him in to rerecord the track. He

said, most of the time the band never even knows he's done it. He said

he's seen the kids face look like "wow, I'm good" when hearing the

guitar track.

Phil ..I have done that for years ....It's .. S.O.P these days ...

Duke, the irony is that this is nothing new.

Contrary to what many think about the 60's, it was SOP for hired guns to record the music for almost all of the groups!

Remember the bruhaha over the Monkees playing their own stuff? That was normal for all bands! The irony is that the Monkess, with their resultant fight with the label over this became one of the first groups to actually begin to play their own stuff!

Hall Blaine, et. al., didn't become rich simply by selling instructional books!

Its amazing to listen to folks idealize the good old days. Funny, our parents summed up the 60's and 70's as there being "alot of crap out there" too.

Funny, our parents summed up the 60's and 70's as there being "alot of crap out there" too.

hehehe So the "lizzard king" Jim Morrison ramblings half drunk with "The Doors"... yep crap! But "Riders In The Storm" and some select others have to be any Rock n Roll lovers some of the best tracks ever. Even if you think he was a jerk!

I asked my mom why didn't they go to listen to the "Beatles" when they played at the Indiana State Fair..Here in Indy? She laughed.. Said we had you two kids to entertain us.. Who cared about the Beatles? hahahahahaha

Dad was the music lover in the house.... Sad but The Beatles were just no big deal to them! hahahahahaha

I have seen "Sir Paul" 3 times. one tour twice on consecutive nights. 1st night in Indy he sucked....Voice wise.. He did not look good at all. 2nd night he was right on (same jokes, breaks, the exact show list) Hard to believe it was the same guy. We had seats up close stage right and all of the rumors were true... Linda may have been his wife.. But omg stone cold deaf!!! We heard her monitor and thank goodness she was not featured! LOL.. Still all that being said.. How cool to have your wife in the band and playing with you every night?

Might I suggest we have too many options and most of it is really crap?

I thought the Partridge Family had more talent than the Monkee's ... Big Smile ...

Really?

That explains allot!

Nesmith was talented in his own right. Tork was Steven Still's roommate and a player as well. (BTW Stills tried out as well but looked too old) Dolenz and Jones were actors with as much if not more credits than perhaps all but Shirley Jones (a real rocker, she! right...) of the Partridges.

The Monkess sold more albums that the Beatles and Elvis combined in 1967, oh, and some guy named David Jones had to change his name to David Bowie to avoid confusion as the other Jones was more popular. I wonder how many Partridges had to change their name - for reasons other than embarassment?

And supported by the writing of Goffin-King, Boyce&Hart and Neil Diamond, I guess the Monkee's songs were worse too.