RF-83's and HK Receiver

Youthman

• Moderators

I'm going to call my dealer tomorrow to see if my RF-83's came in yet. For now, I will be powering them with my HK AVR55. As soon as I pick up the 83's, I'll be putting my CF-2's and KV-3 up for sale. Once they are sold, I will use that money towards the RC-64.

No rears for now, and will continue to use my Velodyne F1500 sub. We are putting aside all the money we can for closing cost on our house. Once we close, I can begin putting some money aside for the dedicated HT (along with money for furniture).

My question is will the HK be able to handle the 83's and the 64? I realize it will not sing like it would with a separate 200x3 channel amp. The RF-7's dip down very low in ohms and figure the 83's will as well. Eventually will have a separate amp and new receiver but for now, it's what I have to work with.

Would it be better to hold off on the RC-64 and use the money from my CF & KV towards a 2 channel amp?

What would you do if it were you?

I soooo can't wait till they come in!

I don't think there's a big problem with the HK powering the 83's.I had my 83's hooked to a hk 635 for a little while and they sounded fine,plenty power @ 75watts per ch.If you want balls to the wall then an amp would be nice,get which ever you get the best deal on.

• Moderators

Thx Fish. Mine is only 55 w/ch. I'm leaning towards getting a 2 or 3 channel amp before I get the center. I'm trying to figure out (for now), which would be better. A high power amp with the RF-83's and my 15" Velodyne sub or the low powered receiver with the RF-83's and the RC-64 with the Velodyne. Decisions...decisions.

• Moderators

I was kinda bummed that my dealer does not carry B&K or Rotel. They are authorized for Parasound so I thought I would check out the forums to see if others have used Parasound. To my surprise, there are many Parasound/Klipsch owners and they love it! Is it tomorrow yet?

I can't comment on Parasound but i've owned a few HK receivers at least. Most of them smoked the newer seperate Rotel amp I owned at one time. I don't like giving advice on gear that much anymore it's so subjective, and many folks are very biased towards certain things. I don't care about anything except for the musical ability the amp has, and that it can handle the volume levels I like without listener fatigue. Good luck. :)

Hold on to that old HK receiver you got. I would just incase.

• Moderators

Eventually will have a separate amp and new receiver

Question for ya. Why would you buy a new receiver instead of a dedicated processor?

Just depends on what my budget will allow. [:D] Very new to the concept of using separates. Looking into it though. I know I definitely want an external amp, even if my receiver had 140 w/ch.

I wasn't being critical just curious of your use. imo, even a prepro from Outlaw or Emotiva will perform better than a receiver within your budget & you won't need to duplicate amplification. Moving to separates a few years ago was an eye opener to me. I moved from an HK 7200, now in the bedroom & very nice, but you've seen the separates light.

Would it be better to hold off on the RC-64 and use the money from my CF & KV towards a 2 channel amp?

I would suggest a family answer until the budget is in order. If you guys watch alot of movies together I would buy the center first. If music dominates your listening, the amp. btw, have you seen the movie "facing the giants"?

• Moderators

Good suggestion. Yes I showed my youth ministry the movie Facing the Giants. Awesome movie. Starts out slow and acting is not as good as "Hollywood" but considering it was put on by a church and their members and it has an incredible message, the movie was fantastic.

I own rf-83s and rc-64, i drive them via denon 4306, i had good results except at high volume where my center channel seem to be in need of power, heard some distortion. I bought an used MCA-3 from Anthem to drive my 3 front speakers. It's the best move i made so far, my center channel sound way better with the external amp.

• Moderators

I would think that 130 w/ch would do much better than my 55 w/ch but totally agree with you that even at 130 w/ch, a good clean external amp will yield much better results. I hooked up a QSC amp recently to my setup and it sold me on the idea of using a separate amp. Just trying to decide what is the best move in the meantime.

Still waiting to hear back from my dealer on whether my 83's came in yet. He was checking with the guy that placed the order. Really hoping I can pick it up today or tomorrow.

• Moderators

The RF-83's have a 100db sensitivity and my CF-2's has a 98db sensitivity

The RC-64 has a 99db sensitivity and my KV-3 has a 95db sensitivity.

From my understanding, the higher the sensitivity, the easier it is to drive the speakers but what exactly does this mean? I have heard some say that in order to increase 3db you have to double the amplification. Does this mean that since the KV-3 and RC-4 have a 4db difference that it will be similar to me doubling the power of my HK Receiver?

From my understanding, the higher the sensitivity, the easier it is to drive the speakers but what exactly does this mean? I have heard some say that in order to increase 3db you have to double the amplification. Does this mean that since the KV-3 and RC-4 have a 4db difference that it will be similar to me doubling the power of my HK Receiver?

Pretty much. Your new center channel will be noticeably louder than your old one at the same volume level on your receiver.