How much power should my amp have for the THX Ultra2 speaker system?

phastlane

I am setting up a new 7.2 home theater with the full Klipsch THX Ultra2 speaker system with three KL-650 in front and 2 KW-120 Subs.

My room is 20x30 with 10' ceilings.

How many watts per channel should I look for in my amp?

Can you recommend a good pre/pro amp combo or a powerful AVR to power the speakers?

What should I buy to drive these speakers?

Thank you!

• Moderators

Welcome to the Madness Fastlane!

You have an excellent setup there. With the Ultra 2's, I would definitely go with a pre/pro instead of an AVR. Many guys recommend the B&K amps. The B&K 200.7 would be a sweet match for your speakers. Many others have suggested Outlaw Audio for amps and pre/pro. Rotel also is highly recommended around here. If it were me, I would drive the Ultra 2's with a 200 w/ch amp. Please post some pics when you get it setup.

ok, I just got this recommendation: "At least 300 W for the KL-650-THX and at least 200W for the KS-525-THX. If price is no option whatsoever then 600W and 400W – this probably isn’t necessary though. Remember the difference between 300W and 600W is 3db – as you must double your power to get 3 more decibels."

What amps are in the 300x7 - 400x7 and 600x7 class???

Thank you!

I am 17 x 32 but real room dimentions because speakers are behind a skrim is 17 x 26.

I would go no less that 200 wpc..

The sunfire at 200 or 400 WPC would rock your world amp wise.

New pre amp has HDMI etc etc look hard at Sunfire.. I am VERY happy with mine.. (the sub line out issue fixed)

http://sunfire.com/TGP5.htm

http://sunfire.com/TGA7400.html

The sunfires will run all day, all night, and never get hot and have incredible dynamic range too!

If price is not option of course go to or consider McIntosh as well...

http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/mcprod/..%5Cdata%5Ccompare%5C2%2026%2007%20Mulit%20Preamp%20processor%20compare.pdf

for the pre amp and below for the amp!

http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/mcprod/shopdisplayproducts.asp?hid=1&id=14&cat=Power+Amplifiers&prodid=1096&product=MC207

Good luck!

Have you thought about maybe 5ch + 2ch?

That's what I do. Outlaw 7500 - 5x200 & QSC pro - 2x425. Sunfire signature offers 7 x 400 I believe.

I don't know that you need all that power but some extra headroom is certainly beneficial.

Arky-Did you compare the Outlaw at 200wpc and the QSC at 425wpc when you had your RF-7s?

If you want to do THX Ultra 2 right, definitely separates. Definitely.

I just looked up Yamaha receivers and my RXV2600 is only Select 2 capable. All but the largest receivers from the best brands are not set up for Ultra2.

I'm with Steve, headroom is what it's all about in HT. I'd have 250-300 wpc available.

ok, I have a new requirement. I am going to be using three KL-650's across the front and temporarily, for 6-8 months, I will have to use 4 - CDT-5800-C in ceiling speakers in the sides and rear...

So, I now need High power for the front three and more moderate power in the surounds. But in 6-8 months, I will need full power all around.

Is there a way that I can buy a full power x 7 anp now and somehow restrict the power going to the surounds?

Or do I need to get a 500x3 and a seperate 200x4 amps and sell them off in 6-8 months?

Thank you,

Jeff

Is there a way that I can buy a full power x 7 anp now and somehow restrict the power going to the surounds?

Or do I need to get a 500x3 and a seperate 200x4 amps and sell them off in 6-8 months?

Thank you,

Jeff

Jeff.. relax... Just turn down the sides and rears..your fine..

Go with 200 WPC at least for your size of room.

Go separates.. (pre amp and a amp) (As newer sound modes or technology come along, like HDMI, you can get a new pre, but keep your great amp!)

Bryston makes very good multi-channel amps as well as their stereo units. Build quality and reliability are among the very best.

As for reducing power to rear channels, your pre-pro or receiver should have level controls to match all your speaker output levels. Unless there's an extreme power and sensitivity mismatch between the front and rear channels, there should be sufficient adjustment range to match all channels properly. If your front speakers are larger, they'll probably be more sensitive, but the rear speakers will likely be closer to the listening position, so it usally works out okay.

http://www.d-sonic.net/

Look at the Magnum 2500-7. These are the same class D amps that are going in a lot of very high end products. Great reviews all over the net.

CECAA850, I think the Magnum 2500-7 solves my problem, with it's 525x3 fronts and 250x4 for the rears.

I spoke to Dennis and for $575 + shipping both ways, he will upgrade the 4 rear modules to 525wpc, to a Magnum 3500-7 - 525x7, when I get my new rear speakers that will need more power than the 5800's

Thank you for all your help and suggestions everyone!

Now it is time for me to start a new thread for the Pre/pro.... Woo-Hoo this is fun!

Well the CDT's are rated at 50 and 200 peak. If you are careful with the volume levels, you may be OK with 200 wpc. 500x3? Be careful with both sets of speakers........head room is nice, but too much of a good thing may offer less than good results.

True, I do use a 3 channel amp that clips at 275 per with speakers rated at 100 nom, but I run them small and have had no issues....1980 Cornwall's L&R with 1982 Cornwall center.

My 2 cents