fly points for dummies

Daddy Dee

Still planning the church fellowship hall pa project and have gotten great help on this forum. Thanks for all the schooling you guys have done.

We expect to be hanging Heresy sized cabs as mains. The ceiling in this room is dry wall on joists.

I've been imagining something like eye bolts in the joists and using chains to support the speakers.

Will three points do it?

What do we need to be thinking about here? What will the speakers need to be securely flown?

Any help appreciated.

http://www.penn-elcom.com/Default.asp?MC=1115000&GC=540&SS=&RC=2&Fl1=&Fl2=&Fl3=

This shows how the eye-bolts are used with the L-brackets (inside the box).

http://www.stlouismusic.com/downloads/crate_pro_audio/owners_manuals/HK2.pdf

Only forged shoulder eyes may be used, and they should be threaded all the way in for maximum strength. 3/8" shoulder eyes run about $3 each, I don't know what the L-brackets sell for. The six L-brackets tie the sides/top/bottom//back together as well as holding the eye-bolts.

• Klipsch Employees

Thanks dtel.

Yeh, that would be an interesting:

"pastor killed by falling PA speaker, funny, we always expected him to be struck by lightning!"

Thats not funny Dee. We don't want something to happen to you.

JBL had just that happen a few years back. One of their pa speakers fell on Sunday morning.

Not good.

It is serious business.

I have seen an LaScala which has some odd damage and or rebuilding. It looks to me that someone decided it was okay to fly it by putting some eye-hooks into the top surface. But it seems that it broke away. There is no question in my mind that the folks at Hope never designed the overall structure to be supported, read hanged, from the top.

Obviously the same with the Heresy, or any speaker unless some engineer has looked at the issue.

You should also worry about the joist you are hooking into. You are inadvertently redesigning the structure and altering loads with little or no engineering analysis. Yeah, it may look like a little hole and a little load. Still, it is worthy of consideration.

Gil

You can place 2 x 4 (or other cross support) across the ceiling joists to distribute the load more evenly. Attach your rigging to that. Folks often end up changing light fixtures and add more weight than this cabinet will end up being.

Full Sail in Orlando has a degree in live sound, which includes rigging and how to calculate hanging tons (literally) of gear over a stage.

I get rigging questions almost every day at work. Other than telling people where our fly points are located and what hardware is compatible, we offer no advice other than to have a licensed rigger hang our speakers. The liability is out of hand.

Check out ATM's website. They may have a cradle or something that would simplify the process. http://www.atmflyware.com/

Official company position:

I agree with colterphoto1. Especially since I have pulled the motorboards right out of the front of Heresy 1 cabs with very little effort.

Dee,

My suggestion for attachment at the speaker, is to use through-bolts, using large "fender" washers and (the more permanent) loctite on the threads. Also, I'd locate the bolts close to an edge or corner. Bruce's idea of spreading the load is good, too. Do you have access to an attic space above? Again, you'll have a structurally stronger attachment to the ceiling the closer you are to a wall. Do you have any photos of the space?

• Moderators

I think that was a good idea, use some L brackets on the inside to tie all the sides and motherboard together so your not just counting on the glue to hold it together. The L brackets are cheap and would make it much safer for very little money.

Dee,

My suggestion for attachment at the speaker, is to use through-bolts, using large "fender" washers and (the more permanent) loctite on the threads. Also, I'd locate the bolts close to an edge or corner. Bruce's idea of spreading the load is good, too. Do you have access to an attic space above? Again, you'll have a structurally stronger attachment to the ceiling the closer you are to a wall. Do you have any photos of the space?

I would ask how much this cabinet is going to weigh? Most of us could sit on a ceiling joist or two for months with no adverse effect. I imagine we also weigh more than this speaker system will weigh. Using a 2x4, 2x6, etc. across those joist should work fine. We did something similar to hang 150lb projector screens in classrooms at the school where I work. There we used metal cross supports running through the metal trusses. A lot better than putting molly bolts in the wall...[*-)]