College Hoops ........

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well at least Kentucky's loss to San Diego at the beginning of the year doesnt hurt as bad now. At the time I thought how could we lose to San Diego?

That's an interesting comment. Are you a native Kentuckian? I'm still elated we hired Pelphry. Gillespie agreed to terms with Ark until the KY job was open. What's the fan pulse concerning Gillespie there?

is it OK if I bet on Indiana?

You might regret that!

Told ya Sad

Go Arkansas!

Yeh. I was happy to see the Arkansas win one in the tournament. Hadn't won in the big dance since 1999. I'm hoping that Arkansas is recovering from the slump in the post- Nolan Richardson era. Nolan, though a national championship winner, in the end seemed to be begging to be fired. Then he sued Frank Broyles and the university claiming his dismissal was racial discrimination. It was sad to see. IMO, Nolan's lawsuit was as he said "to have his day in court" which I translated "take a pound of flesh" from Frank Broyles. Nolan had seemed to be going off the deep end. IMO, if UA was as racist as he claimed he would never have been hired. Walton Arena was pretty much built because of UA and Broyles enthusiasm over Nolan's coaching.

Anyway, John Pelphrey is the first Arkansas basketball coach ever to win 20 games in their first season.

About the game with IU, I'd thought Arkansas might choke when up against an opponent with such a strong NCAA tradition.

Hope Arkansas will be on their game against NC. Even if that's the case, hard to imagine a real contest.

Well at least Kentucky's loss to San Diego at the beginning of the year doesnt hurt as bad now. At the time I thought how could we lose to San Diego?

That's an interesting comment. Are you a native Kentuckian? I'm still elated we hired Pelphry. Gillespie agreed to terms with Ark until the KY job was open. What's the fan pulse concerning Gillespie there?

Arky, I'm not a native Kentuckian, but I moved to the Lexington area in 2001. As far as I know Gillespie still does not have a signed contract with Kentucky. I think his favor rating now is much better than the beginning of the season. Many people felt it was the right time for a change when Tubby left town for Minnesota. When Gillespie came to town everybody was ecstatic, until the season started. With the start of the season came many rumors about Gillespie and his night life, the terrible play on the court, a couple of players leaving the program due to tension with Billy G. The fact that Billy G is a tough and demanding coach is no big surprise, but a couple of kids couldnt handle his personality and style. He reportedly would hold 3 hour practices with the players running the bleachers on game day. His constant shuffling of the starting lineup, benching Crawford, yep the guy who scored 35 points against Marquette. Then came the questionable preseason losses to Garden Webb and San Diego in Rupp. I guess San Diego is a pretty good team--at the time they were pretty much a no-name, to pad your record. No disrespect intended for any San Diego fans.

Now that the season is over I would say that the majority of UK fans are in favor of Billy G. It has been a interesting year with growing pains for all parties involved. I think he will turn the program around. It became stagnant the last couple of years under Tubby, as far as recruiting. Hopefully next year we are not hit with the number of injuries as this year. I am sure we would have won 3 or 4 more games this year if Patterson didnt break his ankle in Feb.

Here is a article regarding Joe Crawford and Billy G. He does make a difference in his players' life. I have seen similar stories regarding Acie Law IV when they were both at Texas A&M. http://www.kentucky.com/276/story/353082.html

• Moderators

About the game with IU, I'd thought Arkansas might choke when up against an opponent with such a strong NCAA tradition.

You're probably not aware of our equally strong NCAA tradition of choking in the tournament.

[:D]