Palladium voicing -- question for Amy

Daddy Dee

Amy has got a very cool blog entry today with a pic of the Palladium torture chamber. There's a nice looking rack of Mac gear to drive them.

I couldn't quite see everything in the rack and wondered if the lab is using a Mac CDP in the process. Another source?

Recall from my talks with Jim G. and Mark K. that they are expecting Palladium dealers to carry the type of high-end electronics that people who can spend $15k on speakers are likely to be intrested in.

Mark said during the voicing process that when these were brought to him they were some of the flattest speakers he'd ever seen. Perfectly flat speakers apparently don't sound good, so I had a fascinating conversation with Mark about the voicing process. Good stuff.

I've mentioned this previously, so please bear with me as I do it again --- be sure to do some of the voicing with good, demanding classical music. Classical will bring out things, problems, and deficiencies that other kinds do not! This actually happened at an early Pilgrimage, where everything sounded fine until I put on a classical CD. Then, it wasn't so good, e.g., clear, precise and accurate tone qualities were lacking.

The Planets comes to mind, especially Mars, Mercury and Jupiter. Listen for the celesta in Mercury, for example. I suggest this exquisite recording, which will demand the utmost musical accuracy from electronics and speakers: http://www.amazon.com/Holst-Planets-Strauss-Sprach-Zarathustra/dp/B000056TKD/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1204598408&sr=8-1

4164J7VDEWL._SS500_.jpg

Classical will bring out things, problems, and deficiencies that other kinds do not!

I just don't think you can "voice" something that will sound "the best" with all genre and recording techniques.

Ever hear a pair of Magnepan Tympani IV's do Bachman Turner Overdrive -- it ain't pretty.:)

I have that record, Larry, for an age and a day. It really is a sweetie.

In my opinion, a system that will stand up well to all that classical has to offer (full-scale symphonic, choral, operatic soprano, organ, recorder, clarinet, oboe-some of those woodwinds are nasty difficult to reproduce well) will stand up to anything other genres can throw at it.

I agree, TheEvan, and you can add the whole incredible range of percussion sounds, like cymbals, celestas, triangles -- you name it!

IOW, classical recordings have to go as far as possible to accurately reproduce that entire amazing range of qualities. Great non-classical recordings of jazz vocals and instrumentals make the same demands, although the range is not as great or often as massive. But too many of them (to my ear) have really kind of garbage-y, inaccurate repro of one instrument or another. I've heard good "horns" and bad, sometimes both in the same recording, and great and terrible string bass. That's why I suggested that particular recording -- very detailed large and small effects and beautiful tone qualities from strings, brass and winds.

And then there's electronic music -- great transients but sometimes not much from the real world of acoustic music.

I've said before that some Klipsch demos tend to show preference for hard transients. These can cover over problems with detailed delicate music, which can be a problem for me.

Sorry I don't know Bachman Turner, Dean, but Magnepans are well-known for exquisite detail definition and very soft tone qualities, all of which sounds great for strings, but less so for the harder qualities of winds, brass and percussion. The beauty of Klipsch is how well it reproduces everything, maybe lacking only the last degree of string gentility.

To make sure I'm being clear -- classical makes its own demands on systems, and I believe that any speaker, especially with these aspirations, should sound good on that kind of music. Otherwise, there may be some unpleasant surprises down the road. I don't care whether the Palladiums tilt musically one way or another [slight edit], but it's important that [ditto] they sound sensational on The Planets.

I don't care whether the Palladiums tilt musically one way or the other, but they should sound sensational on The Planets.

Someone might think they sound sensational with that music, someone else might think they fall short. So, there is also the subjective nature of all this to consider. This is a complex subject -- once all of the parameters involved with speaker design are put into play, there is an almost infinite amount of variables that impact "voicing". Your statement is somewhat surprising, because the shaping of the frequency response (tilt) is a big part of voicing.

"Classical" covers everything from small quartet to large symphonic works -- and it is very likely that a speaker will do better with material on one end of the spectrum than it does on the other, or will shine with the reproduction of some instruments and not others.

post-3205-13819361298514_thumb.jpg

The speakers voiceing should be as neutral as possible,,,All anolmaties should be smoothed out,,,No tilts or blips,, Low distortion,, clarity,,Polor patterns through out the audio spectrum should be even....Good transition at xover should be smooth....Taking out spikes or extreem suckout. Timing and alignment of drivers should be corrected. Dynamics should not be chocked off.

I don't care whether the Palladiums tilt musically one way or the other, but they should sound sensational on The Planets.

Someone might think they sound sensational with that music, someone else might think they fall short. So, there is also the subjective nature of all this to consider. This is a complex subject -- once all of the parameters involved with speaker design are put into play, there is an almost infinite amount of variables that impact "voicing". Your statement is somewhat surprising, because the shaping of the frequency response (tilt) is a big part of voicing.

"Classical" covers everything from small quartet to large symphonic works -- and it is very likely that a speaker will do better with material on one end of the spectrum than it does on the other, or will shine with the reproduction of some instruments and not others.

I don't have the depth of understanding & experience you and Mark do on speaker analysis and voicing. Note that I said "tilt musically," by which I meant the kinds of things Mark described, not simple response curves. My basic point remains -- to be sure they don't inadvertantly sound mediocre on classical music.

Good point about what all is covered by the word classical. To me, that means a variety of types of works, including solo and choral vocal, chamber groups, and large orchestral. I suggested The Planets for orchestral voicing, since it has LOTS of instrumental detail of all kinds. Your mention of quartets is valuable, since I feel that solo strings, especially cellos, are the most challenging instruments, for (in this order, IMO) CD players, electronics, and speakers. All MHO, of course.

So, can anyone guess where the 'Klipsch bump' is? 

On the head of the designer that thought the opposing grain patterns of the veneer was a good idea? Sorry! My opinion only, of course. I recognize I'm in the minority on this issue.