Jubilee question

bigdnfay

Well the deed is done. If anyone of you who built clones hasn't done this yet, this project is a must do. The bass extends even deeper and the upper bass gets tighter(didn't think it was possible). Been listening for about the last 2 hours and it's like hearing them for the first time. I don't know about you guys but "I love my Jubs!" Thanks to all for your input.

Big D

Well the deed is done. If anyone of you who built clones hasn't done this yet, this project is a must do. The bass extends even deeper and the upper bass gets tighter(didn't think it was possible). Been listening for about the last 2 hours and it's like hearing them for the first time. I don't know about you guys but "I love my Jubs!" Thanks to all for your input.

Big D

Very cool congrats.

I am curious BigD whether you were able to make any before-and-after measures when you adding the stuffing.

Did you use the 1inch on both sides and the 2 inches top and bottom? Did you experiment using more or less?

I recall JC had mixed results when he used the stuffing; however that may have been early on when he was using the "wrong" Pioneer driver. I don't know if he played with it more when the other drivers arrived. My memory is imperfect on this one.

I assume the physics behind this is to make the back volume "seem" larger since the calculated value calls for a volume that is a bit over 5% larger. This calculation comes from the issue of reactance annulling. It is described in the JAES 2000 paper. Although I did do some back of the envelope calculations, and the predictions suggested that the cutoff frequency (f sub c) would only change by a couple of Hz at most with the additional volume. Perhaps the stuffing is doing more than I imagine.

Good Luck,

-Tom

The 12" driver is a K-31 which comes from the KLF-30.

Have you ever heard the KLF-30? It looks interesting. I think these could make the start of a great home theater.

No, but it's on my list of "must-hears" from Klipsch. It is extremely similar to my Chorus II, except it has dual 12" instead of a single 15". I think I remember hearing somewhere that the squawker is a bit more open sounding too.

Btw, I meant to mention this earlier....the other driver sometimes being used with the K402 and K510 is the B&C DE75. I think technically it's been discontinued, but I also think Klipsch is still using it. The newest version from B&C is the DE750, but it doesn't perform the same.

Tom,

I don't have any equipment to measure with except my ears. I listened to a few tunes before I got started. Installed the 1" foam in one(1" on all sides and 2" top and bottom) and listened to the same tunes again. The cabinet with the "stuffing" definitly had a more refined sound between the two. I was once using the pioneer woofs but have sinced changed to k-31's.

From the get-go I increased the rear volume by adding holes in the motorboard to utilize the small spaces taken by the first flares(photo),as done in the K-horn. I'm hoping this had alittle to do with my results

post-7478-13819366672722_thumb.jpg

Thanks for that. I say 'mid' as it just is too big to be a tweet but I find that this driver seems to be a carefully guarded secret.

Cheers

The driver looks to be a P.Audio BM-750D or very similar. Check out the design profile of this unit:

http://www.bluearan.co.uk/menu/index.php?id=PAUBMD750&seeimage=YES&img_name=bmd750

Chris