Why???

jimmy4300

ok i use firefox with my mac. its just easier to me than safari. don't really know why, but i like it.

at work we use pee cees and i also loaded firefox.

i'm with michael.

how the heck are you all changing colors and fonts. i just figured it out before the last upgrade and bam i'm black and white again.

danny

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the advantages to using FireFox is the tremdous number of add-ons and extensions available. For anyone who does web development, tools like FireBug are a Godsend, and I'm not aware of anything similar available for IE. FireFox also does things a bit differently - it displays tables as they are being rendered, rather than waiting until the whole table is downloaded and formatted, which can be a *BIG* timesaver when working with very large tables. (Some of the tables we use at PeriShip while monitoring our shipments' status can easily have over 10,000 rows with a lot of data per row.) It is better at Javascript, in both execution speed and forgiveness for minor programming errors. It is also a lot more customizeable, both in the number of things you can tweek and how you tweek them.

Anyone who does a lot of web surfing should download FireFox and try it out - it lives in peaceful cooperation with IE and other Micro$oft apps, doesn't cost anything, and if you don't think you need it just uninstall it.

If youhave a Mac, you should download Camino, a build of Firefox that is more Mac specific. Nice! We put it on the Macs at work.

IE works almost everywhere because it isn't as stringent at interpreting HTML and all the other funny stuff web developers do on their sites now. In other words, by not doing things the correct way, web pages don't break on IE as much as they might on other web browsers.

That was one funny post Ray... and about those tubes... [:#]

Bruce

So I've now heard that IE has gotten better at handling html errors than in the past. That said, my IE at work gets an error and closes down all IE windows at least once a week. But that is better than a blue screen of death. I don't recall when FireFox last crashed on my home laptop.

You might also have noticed that FireFox has had tabs for years while that didn't occur until IE 7. We're still on IE 6 at work as the company I work for tries to avoid adapting new releases for things until the kinks have been worked out.

FireFox does seem to work better for me. I also use Thunderbird as my home email client and it seems to work as well or better as Outlook Express though I've not used Outlook Express for 2 or more years now. We use Outlook at work.

Can I get a tube powered lap top?

Just a couple should do it. Impart some of that tube magic to the Windows operating system somehow, you know kind of mellow it out and smooth it out a bit. If nothing else, I think tube amps overload more gracefully than solid state. If they make audio smoother and sweeter, why not my laptop.... of course have to keep the tubes away fromt he interior components which get too hot as it is and would definitely need to cage them to help avoid burning oneself. And of course we'd need lower power tubes to get decent battery life. Probably also need the military field grade in a laptop. Of course has the added advantage of helping to warm the room in the winter and providing extra mood light in the dark.

Of course I suppose a tube that flashes out in a blaze of glory may fry the motherboard or memory chips. But man it sure did run smoothly and sweetly. And if it was used for the audio could the tubes even add some life to those dreadfull built in "speakers".

Maybe laptops could be retrofitted. Even a new TV show: "Tube My Laptop" Sort of a retro version of "Pimp My Car" That reminds me - the "Pimp My Klipsch" thread died pretty fast. I recall something about Dtel wanting to hook some MCM bins up to the Heresies in his workshop.

I can here it now... in dorm rooms accross the country .. #&*@! anybody got a spare EL-34. My term paper's due tomorrow.

Hummm... a tube powered laptop. Let's think about that.

According to CNN ( http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2001/06/25/305473/index.htm ) there are roughly 800 million transisters per laptop computer (current generation). Let's replace those with tubes. Let's use a fairly small tube - how about a twin triode 12AX7 type. Two "switches" per tube, so we only need 400 million tubes.

Running at 12 volts it draws 150mA at idle. To power our 400 million tubes we need, uh... 60 million amps. At 12 volts (roughly). That's, uh... 720 million watts. At idle, of course. The capacity of the main station of my local utility company (United Illuminating) - before deregulation, don't know what it is now - was 1,100 megawatts, so we could have powered up the laptop and had 35% capacity reserve to, like, run the state of Connecticut. I don't know how much heat we'd be dissipating, but I would guess you would need to leave the windows open.

Each tube is 1 2/3 inches tall and 7/8 inch in diameter, for a volume of roughtly (pi r squared h) of approximately 1 cubic inch (convenient). 400 million cubic inches is, uh, 230,000 cubic feet. So, if the ceiling in my kitchen is 8 feet high, the floor would need to be about 170 X 170 feet for my laptop to fit. (Cool! A 30,000 sq ft house! Always wanted one of those!).

Unfortunately, I think the yearly capacity of the currently on line manufacturing plants is on the order of 2 million tubes per year, or some such thing, so laptops would be on lengthy backorders.

Well, I was thinking just a couple of tubes per laptop.... to add some of that tube magic to one's computing experience. Tthough a fully tube laptop, sort of the child of ENIAC and a normal laptop... probably would set a standard house on fire

IE should work fine, yes. I have it at home, and haven't run into any issues.

What problem are you having with it specifically? What content editor are you using in your profile?

What's a content editor? I'm using IE 7.0.5730.11 and the OS is XP SP2.

The problem I have is that perhaps a third of the time the Reply page doesn't load properly and shows "Done, but with errors", with a little group of "p"s and < > brackets in the top left corner of the reply field (I won't type them exactly in case it causes an error on the page). When that happens, whatever I type can't be formatted and appears as a single block of text, even if it shows as separate paragraphs when it's typed.

If I re-try it a few times, it may load properly, or it may not. Sometimes, hitting the Edit button will open a page that works properly, but not always. At that point, the gem of wisdom I wanted to post just doesn't seem that important anymore.

You can see how bugs like that take the fun out of the forum.