They changed the little t-amps ?

dtel

• Moderators

I remember reading after a certain point they would start to distort before their actual watt rating.

I just got one from Parts Express and tried it out, I turned up the volume expecting it to get nasty and it never did, full volume and is sounds fine ?

With Cornwall lll's, sitting 15' back and the speakers about 10' apart it was at 94 db and clear. ?

It was plugged into the wall with the little transformer thing that comes with it and connected to a cd player. Is there something built in the new ones that limits the output to make them a little safer, or am I just mistaken about the original model.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can get mine to distort for sure ... but ... things in your favor ... and against me ....

I have only run on battery power ... so 12.3v and down to about 11.3 then I switch batteries. I bet that wall wart is running closer to 13.0v .... I have read up to 13.2v is safe, but over that and the chip is in jeopardy. .... I guarantee you have more headroom with the wall wart.

2nd up ... I have only ever driven mine with an iPod. I guarantee you have a cleaner, stronger signal feeding the thing with a proper CD player.

Maybe they made some changes .... I have not been following the latest updates to the boards. I have a photo of my board somewhere ... I'll try to dig it up tomorrow and post it.

Lastly ... my KP201's clip at 3/4 volume ... my La Scalas can almost get to full volume ... but they fall apart at the end.

• Moderators

I thought wall power and a strong signal from a regular cd player might have helped.

Full volume sounds as clear as half volume ? Didn't plan to use the little batteries you can put in them, probably something like you did would be best, or can you use alligator clips to a car battery ?

There is a thread on here with a guy who bought some new LaScallas and took them out into the desert and powered his little amp with a battery I'll look in the morning if I can find it I'll post a link. Watch peoples avatar his has 2 Lascallas outside in the desert I believe.

Here is that thread it was easier to find than I thought it would be.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/95616.aspx

dtel

That's what I discovered from the one I bought from Dean. Sounds very nice at moderate levels, of course it runs out of power so it's not a party amp. My idea was to hook the thing up to a golf car for summer pool parties driving heresy 2's. I need those hookup cables though.

I rec'd my Parts Express t-amp and Tio this week. No time to play with either for a while. I plan to try to integrate the tio into the venerable MBS-5 to make a complete system. That will be interesting.

I am tempted to write the Card Deluxe and/or M-Audio and ask why they aren't building a soundcard/amp combo yet. Seems like a no brainer. Granted, most don't care and are happy with crappy, but there should be enough music-interested market segment to support.

What I REALLY want to do is collect 5 Dixielanders and build an HTPC with everything, including 6 channels of Tio, on board. That would be COOL.

Dave

• Moderators

Bigdaddy, the post before you from G.Kennedy is who you are talking about.

Arky that sounds like a good idea.

That little thing had the Cornwalls lll's at 94db's and was clean, could be the wall power and cd player helping it out ? I sat 15' feet away with the db meter for 5 minutes in shock.

This is fron the website for the Clll,

sensitivity 102 db @ 1watt/1meter

• Moderators

Dave, I had read that thread about the Dixielanders because I had never see or heard one, but that sounds like a good idea.

With a PC you would have a ton of controls over the whole thing. That's probable the future, PCs in the music chain for more control and unlimited music storage and choices.

• Moderators

dtel ... how do you feel the bass is ????

At a medium or higher volume there was alot of bass, but it is a Cornwall, it does feel a little funny only having a volume control even though I usuialy just set them flat.

• Moderators

Pardon the aside from the thread, but

Dtel: You and your wife still coming this way for the cruise soon? The offer of dinner, music, parking, etc. is still good!

Dave

We would like to try to, if nothing else we would like to pass over for a while just to listen and talk a little. It's at the end of April so we will get with you soon to see if the date we will be in the area will be OK with you. Thanks , That's very nice of you.

Pardon the aside from the thread, but

Dtel: You and your wife still coming this way for the cruise soon? The offer of dinner, music, parking, etc. is still good!

Dave

We would like to try to, if nothing else we would like to pass over for a while just to listen and talk a little. It's at the end of April so we will get with you soon to see if the date we will be in the area will be OK with you. Thanks , That's very nice of you.

Looking forward to it...

Dave

The volume knob position on the amp is not the only source of setting the actual volume output of the amp. If the signal you're sending into the amp doesn't cause the amp to clip when the amp is turned up all the way, then that's all that means...your amp isn't clipping [;)]

The output from a cd player or an ipod or a preamp or whatever all will have their own maximum voltage associated with it, so it just sounds to me like your CD player doesn't have the ability to saturate the input on your amp. This is not a big deal at all unless you want it to go louder (but then you already know you're limited by the amp).

• Moderators

The volume knob position on the amp is not the only source of setting the actual volume output of the amp. If the signal you're sending into the amp doesn't cause the amp to clip when the amp is turned up all the way, then that's all that means...your amp isn't clipping Wink

The output from a cd player or an ipod or a preamp or whatever all will have their own maximum voltage associated with it, so it just sounds to me like your CD player doesn't have the ability to saturate the input on your amp. This is not a big deal at all unless you want it to go louder (but then you already know you're limited by the amp).

Ok I got it, I will probably need to try it with a few different types of sources. To get an idea of what to expect if I were to use something different to be completely portable, like outside.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Dave,

Just curious if you've had a chance to check out the Tio card?

No sir. Still sitting in the box with the amp. Way too much going on. I've some thoughts about what to do with it, but no time to play. Spent my free time in the last couple of days beginning to rebuild my recording rig, which had remained scattered around since the move.

Dave

• Moderators

Ok I have alot more playing time on the T-amp, I am using it with a little $10 portable cd player. I put the volume of the cd player about 3/4 and the t-amp is plugged in to an extension cord and it still don't distort at any volume.

I had it playing all day today out to the yard while I did a bunch of things I had been putting off. If nothing else it has me working outside instead of being lazy ! I need to do alot of work outside before it gets in the 90's, this garage setup will help it takes 2 minutes to roll out the back workshop doors, I love it.

This is a pic of the little cd player, I tried my daughters mp3 player but it didn't sound as good, she has them recorded at too low of a rate or something ( never got the whole mp3 thing yet ).

Edit; tried to zoom in but it posted the whole pic, anyway it has not distorted with anything I connected yet, although I never tried it on batteries yet ?

post-11804-13819367029352_thumb.jpg