Your Experiance with a Crown Xti

jacksonbart

In my case I purchased an XTi2000. The amp is now being used with a PS Audio Trio P-200 preamp, which can handle balanced interconnects. It is being fed with an Olive Music Server with TI DAC (PCM1794A) analog out. I am now only listening using only Cornwalls. My RF-7s are stored and my RSW-15 is in pieces as it was returned for service. My first impressions of the Crown amp since moving from the Denon 5803 was how much the top end opened up. The Crown does exhibits a “Pffffff” sound for sure once it’s turned on. It is noticeable but not distracting, unless your wife is a bat. At first to be honest it was a bit alarming as the Denon unit is dead silent. The difference in sound was much more alarming, the crown had much more defined top end and the Denon felt warmer, yet the Crown went lower. I say that it was not night and day to the non critical listener, but for me there was a difference in sound. The “Pfffff” was far less noticeable that the difference in sound. As I spent more time with the Crown I found myself, unless I was listening to TV or a movie, always switching the main left and right speaker connects from the Denon to the Crown. I really did not get enough time to spend with the RF-7s (less than 20 hours) since I sent back the RSW-15. I can’t wait to hear them again. However I will say the Cornwalls sound good at all levels with the Crown. For me it’s not been music dependent. Jazz, Blues and Rock all sound better.

In my case I purchased an XTi2000. The amp is now being used with a PS Audio Trio P-200 preamp, which can handle balanced interconnects.  It is being fed with an Olive Music Server with TI DAC (PCM1794A) analog out.   I am now only listening using only Cornwalls.  My RF-7s are stored and my RSW-15 is in pieces as it was returned for service.  My first impressions of the Crown amp since moving from the Denon 5803 was how much the top end opened up.  The Crown does exhibits a Pffffff sound for sure once its turned on.  It is noticeable but not distracting, unless your wife is a bat.  At first to be honest it was a bit alarming as the Denon unit is dead silent. The difference in sound was much more alarming, the crown had much more defined top end and the Denon felt warmer, yet the Crown went lower.  I say that it was not night and day to the non critical listener, but for me there was a difference in sound.   The Pfffff was far less noticeable that the difference in sound.   As I spent more time with the Crown I found myself, unless I was listening to TV or a movie, always switching the main left and right speaker connects from the Denon to the Crown.   I really did not get enough time to spend with the RF-7s (less than 20 hours) since I sent back the RSW-15.  I cant wait to hear them again.  However I will say the Cornwalls sound good at all levels with the Crown.  For me its not been music dependent.  Jazz, Blues and Rock all sound better.        

Nice. I like the idea of competing xti threads. Given Mark's comment on page 25 of his thread, tho, I think the wife comment is a bit out of line. Maybe because yours is a xti2000 as opposed to Mark's 1000, however, you didn't mean it that way?

I have one but have only used it a few times. It's been in storage all winter in the mezzanine at work along with literally a ton of other stuff. I haven't used it in a home setting but am willing to try it out sometime. I was completely satisfied with the performance of it for the limited time I did use it. I bought it on Dr. Who's recommendation. BTW you spelled experience wrong. Mark

In my case I purchased an XTi2000. The amp is now being used with a PS Audio Trio P-200 preamp, which can handle balanced interconnects. It is being fed with an Olive Music Server with TI DAC (PCM1794A) analog out. I am now only listening using only Cornwalls. My RF-7s are stored and my RSW-15 is in pieces as it was returned for service. My first impressions of the Crown amp since moving from the Denon 5803 was how much the top end opened up. The Crown does exhibits a “Pffffff” sound for sure once it’s turned on. It is noticeable but not distracting, unless your wife is a bat. At first to be honest it was a bit alarming as the Denon unit is dead silent. The difference in sound was much more alarming, the crown had much more defined top end and the Denon felt warmer, yet the Crown went lower. I say that it was not night and day to the non critical listener, but for me there was a difference in sound. The “Pfffff” was far less noticeable that the difference in sound. As I spent more time with the Crown I found myself, unless I was listening to TV or a movie, always switching the main left and right speaker connects from the Denon to the Crown. I really did not get enough time to spend with the RF-7s (less than 20 hours) since I sent back the RSW-15. I can’t wait to hear them again. However I will say the Cornwalls sound good at all levels with the Crown. For me it’s not been music dependent. Jazz, Blues and Rock all sound better.

Nice. I like the idea of competing xti threads. Given Mark's comment on page 25 of his thread, tho, I think the wife comment is a bit out of line. Maybe because yours is a xti2000 as opposed to Mark's 1000, however, you didn't mean it that way?

Kev313,

Sorry but your banned to the Peanut Gallery and in this thread there is no Howdy Doody, so you are out of luck.

You shouldn't need a CleanBox, partly depending on your preamp. The Crown has a lover input impedance than most tube rpeamps can deal with. If you have a SS preamp, you should have no problem at all.

In my case I purchased an XTi2000. The amp is now being used with a PS Audio Trio P-200 preamp, which can handle balanced interconnects.  It is being fed with an Olive Music Server with TI DAC (PCM1794A) analog out.   I am now only listening using only Cornwalls.  My RF-7s are stored and my RSW-15 is in pieces as it was returned for service.  My first impressions of the Crown amp since moving from the Denon 5803 was how much the top end opened up.  The Crown does exhibits a Pffffff sound for sure once its turned on.  It is noticeable but not distracting, unless your wife is a bat.  At first to be honest it was a bit alarming as the Denon unit is dead silent. The difference in sound was much more alarming, the crown had much more defined top end and the Denon felt warmer, yet the Crown went lower.  I say that it was not night and day to the non critical listener, but for me there was a difference in sound.   The Pfffff was far less noticeable that the difference in sound.   As I spent more time with the Crown I found myself, unless I was listening to TV or a movie, always switching the main left and right speaker connects from the Denon to the Crown.   I really did not get enough time to spend with the RF-7s (less than 20 hours) since I sent back the RSW-15.  I cant wait to hear them again.  However I will say the Cornwalls sound good at all levels with the Crown.  For me its not been music dependent.  Jazz, Blues and Rock all sound better.        

Kev313,

Sorry but your banned to the Peanut Gallery and in this thread there is no Howdy Doody, so you are out of luck.

I don't think you're giving yourself enough credit. That said, I'd ask you to take my comment on this thread on its face. Given your posts on the other thread, I cannot imagine the wife comment was an innocent coincidence. We take a lot of shots here, but that is an absolute lack of class. I'm not pro-Mark, anti-Crown, pro-Juicy Music or anything else you may be imagining. I'm pro decorum, or whatever passes for it here. That comment doesn't.

Wait until the DSP, starts AMP tone modeling & doing tube line up,,,with editing software,which amps would one like in your Amp Farm ?.......it's already here just hasn't crossed over yet, ..........,johny has heard the Xti brothers in a large PA room,sounded neutral,like a Crown,dial it in,3 year transferable warranty,blah blah .........note the 4 EL34, display knowledge is readily available....."Their here"

post-16352-1381936658608_thumb.gif

Thank You, a REAL review ..... not that .. [bs] .. like that other joke of a thread !!! It amazes me that such supposedly smart, and knowledgeable people waste so much time baiting folks around here, they are Masters at it .... Gee, I guess that makes them Master- Baiters ......... EH ! ... Good Honest review, Top Notch !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kev313,

I don't think you're giving yourself enough credit. That said, I'd ask you to take my comment on this thread on its face. Given your posts on the other thread, I cannot imagine the wife comment was an innocent coincidence. We take a lot of shots here, but that is an absolute lack of class. I'm not pro-Mark, anti-Crown, pro-Juicy Music or anything else you may be imagining. I'm pro decorum, or whatever passes for it here. That comment doesn't.

What wife comment? I can't hear you from the peanut gallery

I'm using 2 XTIs powering the top ends on modified Khorns with an XLS Crown on bass fed by an analog xover triamped. The DSP in the XTIs are being used for time-alignment delay, along with limiters for driver protection. There is low level hiss present in the HF horns that is inaudible at the listening position. I like what I am hearing from the system set up this way. I guess the only knock I can put on this amp is that the DSP seems to be a work in progress - the two XTIs I own have different versions of firmware, despite being purchased 1 month apart. I downloaded a firmware update 3 weeks ago, and 2 days after I did so, there was another, newer firmware release on their website. Oh, well.

Don