New - Super "C" Walls (Super Cornwalls)

Catbo

I wanted a pair of Cornwall's over the last 3 years, I've had no luck finding a used pair locally in great condition. Tried to buy new Cornwall's but after failed attemps with 3 Klipsch dealers telling me it's "special order" and will do no price dealings I realized I wouldn't be owning a pair, several people mentioned the new Cornwall has a smaller horn from the original that I should look into building a pair of CornScala's. I research the CornScala with great interest, admiration, and amazement! It had me wishing I could have the know-how to build like so many others have.

After much research and learning from others, I decided I had to try to build my own if I was going to really own a pair of speakers like I really wanted. So this is my attempt at building a speaker type I really wanted.

I have no woodworking skills, I have no shop or garage with work tools. I had to build these with my own two hands with few hand tools I bought to build these. It took me over 1 month to build the speakers because I could only work on the speakers in my free time only. Long work hours didn't offer much free time but It's finally completed. I've started working on front grill covers, it should be completed soon. Each speaker was glued with very strong bonding glue and each speaker has over 200 screws (internally only) permanently holding speakers together. The screws were needed as I had no way of holding the speakers together while the glue cured bond. The speakers were sealed completely at all joints/seams and also followed with complete silicon seal inside to ensure for air tight enclosure. Speakers were also braced and damping materials used inside. Front, Top, Back, Bottom, and sides of speakers show no screws as screws were done internally only so it would appear to be screw-less.

I'm extremely pleased with the results of the sound quality from the speakers. It has exceeded my expectations and more surprising it produces the type of huge quality bass that is unbelievable in terms of clean, clear, crisps, solid, quick, very tight, with resolution that resonates througout without any hint of sloppiness/muddy bass, yet extremely accurate and fast. Speaker as a whole has a very uniform well balanced sound, smooth, detailed, dynamic, very realistic, very involving. Everyone who have heard the Super "C" Walls say they sound wonderful and think they can talk me into making them a pair but I've told everyone they will have to make their own! I wanted to call these "Super Cornwalls" but a few suggested that I call these [super "C" Walls] because Klipsch owns the Cornwall name so that is how I came up with the name Super "C" Walls for these speakers.
All parts and high-grade birth wood purchased at retail prices, total cost about $1200.00 for the pair.

Thanks to all who shared their projects and encouraged me to not be afraid to take this project on! I'm very satisfied with the outcome of these speakers! I'm set!

Thank you! Catbo

Picture of Super "C" Walls in from of Klipschorn

post-26057-13819366821984_thumb.jpg

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

WoW those look great for someone with no woodworking skills!!

What are the horns? What crossover did you use? Did you take pics as you were building them? If yes I'm sure everyone would like to see them being built.

You don't start with small woodworking projects and work your way up to big projects do you?

How about a comparison between these and the KHorns so people can get a idea of the sound.

Great job!! Wish I could hear them.

Thank you for all the kind comments! It's a great compliment coming from the Klipsch forum!

I do have some pictures I took during building, not many as I should have but have a few I can post. I forgot to list the drivers, sorry.

The internal volume for the bass is the same as the Cornwall cabinet, I just used a cutoff chamber, I'll post a picture of it.

Drivers:

Midrange - Atlas PD-5VH (Phenolic)
Tweeter - Eminence APT-200 Super Tweeter (Phenolic) w/90x90 horn
Woofer - Crites/B&K Sound - Eminence CW1526C (cast frame)
Crossovers - Crites/B&K Sound - CornScala Crossover 400/4500
Midrange Horn: Goldwood GM-450PB 17.7 inc X 9.8 inc. (90X40) http://www.audiolabga.com/mal_cart/data_html/GM-450PB.html

The sound is large and airy simular to the Klipschorns, little more relaxed, little less in-your-face but still very detailted, dynamic, smooth, and a well rounded sound. Both a little different in sound but it still has very much the Klipsch signature sound. I don't want to take
anything away from the Klipschorn's because I still like it very much. I find it very relaxing and smooth just listening to the music flow out of the Super "C" Walls that is very pleasing and the subtle detail I'm hearing. Very impressed with the low bass too! I thought I might like the titanium mid and tweeter but I think I really prefer the phenolic sound, very clean and clear and very nice quality about it.

post-26057-138193668472_thumb.jpg