New - Super "C" Walls (Super Cornwalls)

Catbo

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks again for all these compliments!! The crossovers are Bob Crites CornScala crossovers crossed at 400 and again at 4500. You have good eyes! Yes, it's more than two speakers, it's four. I have one pair in the room with the Klipshorn's and the other pair in the room with RF-7's you see in the pictures I posted. Here's a picture with all four together.

post-26057-13819366861394_thumb.jpg

[:D] Thanks [:D]

I wondered about this myself but if there is an advantage to having the tweeter in the middle (below the midrange) vs on top, the difference was very subtle to my ears, but a couple of friends that helped me out on where to place the drivers, both have much quicker ears than I on changes in sound so I trusted their ears more than mine because it takes me longer to hear changes in sound of what I'm actually hearing, I have to study if for awhile to figure it out. I did some test runs on positions and both liked it in this configuration best, said it was the most balanced sounding. I also sketched out different speaker layouts because my original plan was to put the tweeter on top above the midrange, it would have worked but after showing the sketches to many people and asking which looked better, most picked the look with the tweeter in the middle, saying it looked better that way because the mid horn so close to the woofer. The cutoff chamber doesn't leave much room between it for the mid horn and woofer, because the woofer was positioned higher up like the Cornwall III but it could work, just tight. It turns out the two friends who said it sounds better with the tweeter in the middle below the mid, also came up with a look most people liked so I went with that because I liked it better than the other looks/sketches I had. My two friends make sure I give them full credit for it too! [:D] and I do

I forgot to mention for the bass ports, I also added inlayed veneered birch around the bass ports to give it a more finished look so it wouldn't have that utility look that my other half calls it without the veneer.

post-26057-13819367149472_thumb.jpg

The Super "C" Walls are sounding very very good, incredible sounding to my ears. I was listening to these last night with a friend and he asked me when was I going to build his Super "C" Walls and when was I going to sale my Klipschorns. I told him he can't talk me into it, he will have to build it himself and I'm not going to sell my Klipschorns. He said I will not want to listen to them anymore with how the Super "C" Walls sound.

Ok, I must admit that I am really liking the way these Super "C" Walls sound. I never was going to modify my 2004 Klipschorns but now I'm thinking I might. I would like to get the performance level out of them like what I'm hearing in the Super "C" Walls. I am wondering if all I need is a change of crossovers will do it? I guess I should ask for help in another post for my Klipschorns.

super job catbo

can i bother you for the exterior dimensions of your cabinets?

did you use any sound dampening material inside the bass enclosure?

any estimate of what you're overall sensitivity and average ohms ended up being?

Thanks