surface noise

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michael,

There are basically three levels of noise, and each has it's own method of mitigation.

Quiet: don't do anything, just listen.

A little noisey: pretend you have a crackling fireplace, or that there is a wind storm outside;depending on the particular kind of surface noise.

Real noisey: plug your electric guitar, pick up your violin, grab your harmonica or whatever you play, and play along with the record.

Michael,

There are basically three levels of noise, and each has it's own method of mitigation.

Quiet: don't do anything, just listen.

A little noisey: pretend you have a crackling fireplace, or that there is a wind storm outside;depending on the particular kind of surface noise.

Real noisey: plug your electric guitar, pick up your violin, grab your harmonica or whatever you play, and play along with the record.

Or if it's really really noisy pretend you're at the bar listening to your favorite local band while you crush the last little bit of ice left in your well drink.

I've got an old "Billie Holiday" I bought at a yard sale like that. Great music and won't let it go. I found some CDs with the same tunes but it's not the same. Some of the old old stuff still sounds better with the noise.

Harry

What I see happening to me on old LPs is that even if I clean them they sometimes gunk up the needle. I was using the Discwasher and solution. I just ordered one of these http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100775&navAction=jump&navCount=1&id=prod2223146 and it's free ship if you spend $50. I think there is a $10 rebate but it's a little vague.

I'm also trying out homemade cleaning solution. I ordered 99.9 % isopropyl from Walgreens pharmacy and got some distilled water (not lab grade). Mixed it 50/50. Some people put a drop of detergent in it. So far, I like it. Dries faster than when I grab the dishwater sponge. ;)

I do this for the first play of garage sale records to see if there worth keeping.

InnerTuber,

Can you please explain your step by step process for this method. I am looking into getting something to clean some records that I've been given and wanted to know the start to finish steps. I was thinking about getting a steamer, like you mention, but is a brush also required in the process?

Great thread as I am looking to see if I need to up-grade my cart. I too find that I have to turn up the volume more when listening to vinyl as appose to listening to other inputs, I am running my Thorens 160 off my M/K-730.

James

I too find that I have to turn up the volume more when listening to vinyl as appose to listening to other inputs, I am running my Thorens 160 off my M/K-730.

That seems to be some sort of rule, or at least it usually happens to me, too. I wouldn't worry about it unless the phono is so high that the volume jump is uncomfortable, or so low that the phono is buried in hiss and hum.

It's related to the combo of the cart output and the phono stage gain. Maybe it's historical, for a MM phono input to accommodate older >6 mv MM carts.

Michael,

I didn't think of this till after I sent the transformer. I can send a Dynavector 10x5 also if you would like. Just to get an idea what works best with your system. It's just sitting here collecting dust.

Thanks, I received it safely today. Is there an instuction set for this?

So this is for using a MC cart with MM input? How does it increase the voltage without any power? It's totally passive isnt' it? Looks like the black connection is for ground, right?

I appreciate the loan but my Sansui has both inputs with 3 position impedance switch for each. Would there be any advantage for using this device inline also? If I were trying to use a MC with my modern Yamaha receiver this would be required if I understand correctly.

It's an interesting conversation piece for the desk, I'll tell you that!

So this is for using a MC cart with MM input? How does it increase the voltage without any power? It's totally passive isnt' it? Looks like the black connection is for ground, right?

Transformers are totally passive and don't need separate power, but have to work from an alternating type of voltage, i.e., anything from AC power to a musical signal from a source like an LP, microphone, etc. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformer.

They operate by raising or lowering non-DC voltage according to the turns ratio of the two sides. Note that the total power (millivolts X milliamps) stays the same outside of slight internal losses. They also have an impedance-matching function, and that may be the most important thing for power output transformers. It seems to me I remember learing many years ago that power transfer is maximized if impedance is matched for both input and output. Anyway, with MCs, most installers go by relating voltage boost to cart outputs and phonostage db gain (don't ask), although some seem to go by how closely impedance is matched.

Oh, it's just like the mic transformers on cables that go from hiZ to loZ. Gotcha!

That's exactly what they are. They're the closest you can get to Altec Peerless transformers without breaking the bank. They work very well with the dl 103. I'm currently using Lundahl transformers which I think have a blacker background than the cinemags.

Give em a try before you discount them. I used them with my 10x5 with great results, and it's not a lomc.

nu2,

Did you make your own step-ups? I have one I made with the Altecs, but have yet to use it. I was all ready to mount the DL-103 on my SME, but found out it was a bad match (my SME 3009 is the lighter series II improved). I'm in the process of breathing new life into my Ortofon RS-212 and Thorens TD-124, to be used with the 103.

I built it following these plans http://home.comcast.net/%7Eomaille/audio/cinemag/cinemag.html

This page provided by O'malley, a regular on Audio Asylum

nu2,

Did you make your own step-ups? I have one I made with the Altecs, but have yet to use it. I was all ready to mount the DL-103 on my SME, but found out it was a bad match (my SME 3009 is the lighter series II improved). I'm in the process of breathing new life into my Ortofon RS-212 and Thorens TD-124, to be used with the 103.