surface noise

No you dont need a high end rig to listen without excessive noise. Various possibilities:

1. Your records havee been through the mill and are all shot.
  2. You have a problem with your setup - if all records are noisy this might be the problem.
  3. You need a new cartridge.

With a record that is even semi decent louder passages of music should drown out any noise. The better the condition of the vinyl the lower the required level of music to drown out the noise. Vinyl in perfect condition means that you can't even hear the noise between the tracks.

Michael,

I've listened to your TT set up with the Thorens. Throw that POS entry level cart away. It's a $19.95 cartridge that comes on a new $79.95 plastic turntable.

I mentioned it when I went to your Home Warehouse and helped set up your system. You're gonna have to brace the floors in the 2ch room also. You can't even walk without the windows moving in the room.

Go with a good cartridge and start over your set up again. You can't even think about starting to set up with a POS like that. I don't know where you got it but the salesman should be tied to the bumper of your truck and dragged through the streets.

Harry

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So how do you REALLY feel HarryO[:o] LOL

The 681EEE and even the Stanton 500EMKII are fine carts for the money but they must be new also not vintage "76[:|]

I hope you do get yourself a Denon 103 but if you want a couple killer carts for a great price and work with almost any MM phono pre get yourself the Shure MX97 for the Techniques and a Grado Prestige Gold for that 125 and I would think if the sound is bad then that its your LP's[:(]

Michael, do you remember how good that little vinyl rig of Seti's sounded in the little room in Hope? I don't know how much of its sound could be contributed to my BAT VK-P5 but that little Music Hall MMF 2.1 with Grado Platinum carts sounded very good and quite for a $600.00 rig[;)]

Ever think the Turntable experience isn't for EVERYONE ???????????? Stick to CD's Mike, easier on your nerves !!!!!!!!!

So how else do you listen to the 90% of recorded output that cannot be had any other way, Herr Buckmeister?

It isn't just LP's. Few visit my system without being treated to Kid Ory "Muskrat Ramble" on an original 78. I've heard the CD transcription. Stinks.

Given a choice, I'd rather see THE Mona Lisa than a picture of it.

Dave

What I see happening to me on old LPs is that even if I clean them they sometimes gunk up the needle. I was using the Discwasher and solution. I just ordered one of these http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100775&navAction=jump&navCount=1&id=prod2223146 and it's free ship if you spend $50. I think there is a $10 rebate but it's a little vague.

I'm also trying out homemade cleaning solution. I ordered 99.9 % isopropyl from Walgreens pharmacy and got some distilled water (not lab grade). Mixed it 50/50. Some people put a drop of detergent in it. So far, I like it. Dries faster than when I grab the dishwater sponge. ;)

I do this for the first play of garage sale records to see if there worth keeping.

Lets get this straight. I'm going to play my LP's, I'm going to figure this out. Keep this solutions oriented- please.

http://www.cartridgedb.com/default_arms.asp

Using this calculator I see that the SL1700 (original type) wants 5-11 gm cart and the 681EEE weighs in at 6.3. Add hardware to that an we're smack in the middle of the range.

The Denon 103 weighs in at 8.5 so it would also fit.

I don't know what the deal is with the Thorens TD125MKII, neither of those cartridges seem to work with it.

What is the difference between just the simple mass matching as seen on this website and the deeper calcuation that teakes the compliance of the cartridge into account? Do I need more numbers on the Technics to make a good choice? What in the work will work on the Thorens?

Just got off the phone with Stanton. Their VP says to increase the tracking weight above what is listed .75-1.5 by an additional .5 to 1 gm if the brush is being used. The brush supplies some suspension or up-force and needs to be compensated for.

They had no info on what cart to go with what arm since they make their own turntables and are mostly DJ use today.

I'll refer to Max's guide and report back.

My bad. Right thinking, wrong words.

Dave

You can quit apologizing now Dave (x3), I understood what you meant- the important thing to know is that there is an adjustment to be made. Heck, it isn't even mentioned in the spec or on the website and I couldn't find an online manual. Had to go to the VP.

The Denon 103 is a ROUND stylus that takes 2.3-2.7 tracking grams. Do I really want that skating through my grooves?

I'll check the Grado next.I think Marshall said the MX97 was good too.

I'm not finding a lot of good reviews on the M97X or the Denon 103 really.....maybe I'm looking in the wrong places.

We may have a WINNER!

Grado gold at 5.5 gm and 20 compliance, seems to work within the parameters given for the Thorens. It's right at the edge but it's within the preferred range. How much do you add for cartridge mounting hardware?

A good friend can MAKE a CD of an album, or a tape of said album ..................... The Vinyl Experience Isn't for Everyone !!! What is wrong with that statement ? Given a choice, I'd rather Touch a woman, than see her ............. EH !!!!!!!!

Yezzir...but would you rather touch an ANALOG woman than a DIGITAL woman? [:P]

Dave

Michael, I have heard the Grado Prestige Red/Stanton 681 on a TD124 and they sounded very close so I know and also by review that the Gold would be an awesome cart for your 125. This cartridge has become so popular over the last year that all major retailers have gone from the old $180.00 on this thing to the new $220.00 which should tell you something in itself. If you can get one below the asking $220 more power to your wallet[;)]

I like the way you said you use the SL to plow through your pile as it is a killer moving iron cart which will do just that and sound well + work long life if cared for properly[:D]

I don't think the MX97 can be beat for under a bill period. Musical & foregiving. Both these carts are a rockers delight and I would think that is were the Colt lives in ROCK[H]

Just to through one more inexpensive cart in that I know works splinded on Thorens is the Ortofon OM-20 or OM-30[Y]

We may have a WINNER!

Grado gold at 5.5 gm and 20 compliance, seems to work within the parameters given for the Thorens. It's right at the edge but it's within the preferred range. How much do you add for cartridge mounting hardware?

Usually add .5 gram unless you're doing something special (long bolts, washers, blu-tack, etc). I'll second whoever said that you should consider replacing the Thorens' mat. That piece of rubber could be the cause of all sorts of noise.

I read some HI-FI mag a long time ago that 1.5 grams of stylus pressure was the equivalent of 1.5 tons of pressure on the sides of the record groove. I also read in some physics mag that precision measuring equipment measured the groove width before and after playing the record with 1.5 grams of force and that it took 20 minutes for the groove walls to return to 98% of where they were before playing and that they never fully return to their original position. I guess that's why the CBS test records were only good for 10 plays.

JJK

The mat is pretty stupid looking. It's very hard rubber with two rings of 'dash' lines around the inner and outer circumference. I guess the vinyl could have all kinds of flexation or vibrations going on.

Suggestions for new one? I probably have an old D'stat mat from the olden days....

And yes, I go by the rule that you can only play a LP side ONCE in a session so that it can regroup before being played again. I think that has some validity.

I noticed that in all the Grado lines there is a top percentile of each type that gets a special designation (and price). I'm wondering, is that upgrade worth it? I mean to have the Gold vs the Prestige (however that works out). Am I that picky to spend another $30 for the pick of the litter?

I have a Prestige Red Michael and it sounds very good just not quite a Gold. They are the same cartridge really just the Gold is in the top 5% tested and there is a difference to be heard for sure. I'm happy with my Red until she dies and then I will go for the gold!

I know people perfectly content with their Prestige Black so I don't think you will be displeased with any of the Prestige range for the price[;)]

Michael...

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/storage/3/515664/Klipsch%20MCZ%20Phono%20Cartridges%20(with%20H.%20Hibino).pdf

Since you like all things Klipsch too..

Let me know where you get the screws to attach it.. The guy I bought mine from, did not have them, and I can't use it for now? waaaaaaaaaaaaaa Good eBay lesson to know what to ask before the trade. I didn't here, I assumed it would be included!

I was told by many on the forum that this is a terrific Cartridge / Needle.. You can borrow mine for a while if you want to?

Next time it comes up for sale on EBay I want all the hardware too?

For now, I use a shure. Sounds in a good way cool to me too.