surface noise

Bummer on your parts Indy, I have heard the MCZ's when they first came out and to the best of my aural memory they all sounded very sweet but you know Paul would not have given it the time of day much less his personal endorsement had they not been. Michael, it's good to have such nice friends and close[:D]

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike, I think I have a Grade Green Prestige. Low-ish hours. Less than 2yo.

It needs a new stylus. (needledoctor.com, kabusa.com if those have yet to be mentioned here).
If interested I'll send it to you and you can put the new needle on and keep if you like it.
PM (or however) address etc if so. I'll dig it up and make sure it is what I think it is before continuing.
(i.e. don't buy the replacement needle yet)

On the vinyl washing note:
It is probably sacrilege to some.

When I wash LP's (usually garage sale and goodwill sourced), I use the (very clean) sink, with an inch or few of warm/hot water, enough detergent to make some bubbles, and a few capfulls of household bleach. I do 10 or so before bothering to change the water. Sometimes more depending on how much I care about the LPs to be washed. But after 10 or so, the sink is usually starting to fill up and needs emptying anyway.

I have selected my softest all-cotton dish towels (usually the oldest ones).
They are relegated to LP duty, stored separately and away from sources of cat hair.

1 goes on the bottom of the sink as a matt, then the LP (sink it), wait a few (10) seconds.
Less if the water is on the hot side.

Then I 'dab' with a second cloth, using decent force, moving in circular motion through the one side.
This of course may result in the LP being suctioned (or giving that impression) to the bottom of the sink.

To flip without accident, lift the corner of the towel acting as the matt.

The process takes 60 seconds if even that. (...longer and most labels start to noticeably deteriorate)
Take out of suds, blast groves thoroughly with more warm/hot water from faucet (spray setting) to rinse.
Avoid blasting the label. (or who cares... "you don't play the label")
Sometimes I finish by spraying with household ammonia. GF does not like this. I just open a window.
I dry with the same collection of cotton cloths. I wipe the label first thing, one pass, very little pressure.

If they are truly moldy, it will take 3 odd tries or much longer soaking.
Usually at that point, we're committed to sacrificing labels.
I think that the warm/hot water is key.

Albums always only handled by the edges, to avoid fingernail etc accidents.
That is why using the bottom towel to flip it works well.

Indy,

If you're looking for nuts, bolts, screws, washers and such drop by your nearest hobby shop where they carry these little parts for the model builders and such. I picked up all the hardware I wanted - in metric and standard sizes, black, gold, brass and stainless steel... you name it - they should have it and at prices that should shame some of those audio web sites. Have fun.

Colter, I owned a Grado Blue, Dynavector 10x5, and finally the Denon Dl103R. The 103r was not optimal according to cartridge db with my Rega P3-24, but it blew the doors off of the other two. Even though the 10x5 was supposed to be a match made in heaven for the Rega. My offer still holds. If you want to borrow my Cinemax stepup transformer for the Denon dl103 you won't be dissatisfied.

Colter, I owned a Grado Blue, Dynavector 10x5, and finally the Denon Dl103R. The 103r was not optimal according to cartridge db with my Rega P3-24, but it blew the doors off of the other two. Even though the 10x5 was supposed to be a match made in heaven for the Rega. My offer still holds. If you want to borrow my Cinemax stepup transformer for the Denon dl103 you won't be dissatisfied.

I'd even ship out my DL103 that still plays good,if you want to try this set up.I'm happy with my ZU modded cart,and don't for see using the Stock 103 any time soon.Let know.

Larry

Why is the stepup transformer needed? Is the 103R a lower output or different impedance than standard cartridges?

I appreciate the offers guys, with all the setup time needed, wouldn't I need multiple headshells to try them out effectively? Does anyone have any of those funny Thornes headshells lying about? (they have shorter mounting 'plug' than most). Thanks

With so many using the other Grados quite happily, is it a needless expenditure to go for the Gold? My reasoning goes like this- I have so much tied up in this 125 already (probably $450, not a lot by some standards), that if I'm going to keep it I might as well give it the best chance it's got.

How about my other turntable guys- Scott, Larry, Allan, Max, Gary- does it sound like I'm on the right track (pun very much intended)?

Shopping for mats is about as complex as the Cartridge debate.

And why is my TT much lower output through my receiver than CD or DVD player? I have to crank my Yammie up to -15 to get any decent volume, I'd be blown out with a CD at that setting...

And why is my TT much lower output through my receiver than CD or DVD player? I have to crank my Yammie up to -15 to get any decent volume, I'd be blown out with a CD at that setting...

Michael,

I wouldn't worry too much about the mat. Just get some cork shelf liner at Home Depot and be done with it.

Are running your phono through the phono input of your Yamaha? You need to use an input that is specifically built for a phono or the output will be low and the sound will be awful.

The Denon 103 is a Low output moving coil so it needs either a step up transformer or a phono pre that is made for low output cartidges.

Yes, I am smart enough to use the correct input with step up and RIAA eq. [8-|]

The sound is fine quality, but it's much lower than the other inputs. [:^)]I'll check the manual, perhaps the RXV2600 has an adjustment but I don't think so.

I don't have a RS db meter so can't tell what the difference is - I blew up the old one - CW's at 126 will do that! [:o]

Don't go overboard. You can make a pretty respectable mat just to see if there's an improvement. There's a drawer liner you can get from Home Depot, Linen's 'n Things - even most craft, grocery and drug stores carry the stuff. It looks like little foam pebbles netted together (I doubt that helped). Its not the end-all-be-all of record mats but it'll certainly give you an alternative to the Thorens' rubber mat. 

A CDP, tape deck or tuner can output 2-5mv while most carts can't manage much more than 1mv (MC carts usually output .2-.5mv - as in 2-5 tenths of a microvolt). Step-up transformers will help boost the output enough to match the gain of the other sources.

This thread got me spinning vinyl today. Something that I haven't done for months. Some of the questions Michael has asked are similar in nature to the ones I have been pondering. Especially the question on the difference in gain when comparing TT and other sources.

One thing I have realized today is that alot of the yard sale lps that I have are junk. But, when I consider the cost I can't complain. I have done well by picking up lots of 100 and 200 for $20.00 and $30.00 respectively and am averaging one good lp out of every five or so.

I am using a HK T60 with an inexspensive Grado cartridge. I am not sure of the model of Cart. since it came with the TT and I have not messed with it. I am pretty sure it would benefit me by upgrading said cart. but that will have to come at a later date.

It's good to be spinning again.

Tom

So how do you REALLY feel HarryOSurprise LOL

The 681EEE and even the Stanton 500EMKII are fine carts for the money but they must be new also not vintage "76Indifferent

I hope you do get yourself a Denon 103 but if you want a couple killer carts for a great price and work with almost any MM phono pre get yourself the Shure MX97 for the Techniques and a Grado Prestige Gold for that 125 and I would think if the sound is bad then that its your LP'sSad

Michael, do you remember how good that little vinyl rig of Seti's sounded in the little room in Hope? I don't know how much of its sound could be contributed to my BAT VK-P5 but that little Music Hall MMF 2.1 with Grado Platinum carts sounded very good and quite for a $600.00 rigWink

Going right to a MC like the Denon 103 is a big step. Old carts are not the best plan.

Either the Shure or Grado is fine. I have to upgrade from mine but i just do not despise it yet after 4 years.

I am only on page two but agree with the Kaiser emphatically.

Good thread guys- keep em coming.

I like the bargain bin records. Heck we used to go straight to the cut-out bins at the record store because we didn't have much $$ (remember 'cut-outs')

Used vinyl is dirty but the soap and water trick can help with the nasty ones, there is a fair percentage of like new finds, and sometimes you get a real musical gem, dirty or not.

Grado has an interesting rating and pricing scheme. I can't see much difference in the specs but they say they use different materials/techniques in making the better models. Ranging from about $70 to $200 I wonder which to get...

This afternoon I think I'll put an extension cable on my Technics so I can sit at a table and crank through a pile of this old vinyl. I must have about 8 linear feet of shelf space full of stuff I've been given/bought and NEVER PLAYED. Time to enjoy the music and forget about the machinery for a while.

Rock on my Klipsch Brothers!
Michael

I appreciate the offers guys, with all the setup time needed, wouldn't I need multiple headshells to try them out effectively? Does anyone have any of those funny Thornes headshells lying about? (they have shorter mounting 'plug' than most). Thanks

Yes, you will quickly start collecting headshells as well.

This
is one reason I like to stick to TT's that use the 'standard'
's-shaped-tone-arm' 'bayonnette' style headshells. (all terms
typically used to describe them). Easier to swap. Easy to loan to a friend who needs one in a pinch, etc.

Then (if not already) you get
further into the questions of whether you want ones on the heavier
side, vs lighter side. OR which to pair with which cart for the best
sound etc. You start buying TT's at yard sales just for the sake of
taking the headshell and carts (then when enough pile up, you give the
stripped TT's away to members or post them 'free' on that free classifieds
site).

Don't know about the thorens HS.

It can be fun
having multiple TT's of different manuf. and vintages, but it can also
be frustrating. I have found a vintage series that I like a lot and
continue to buy from, which allows me to better concentrate on the
differences in the actual media (vinyl) and carts, neeldes/stylus
whatever. I have a/b'd multiple copies of albums on multiple decks
feeding the same system, to determine which was the better copy, and
which played better with a particular cart/headshell combo. (and which
combo I liked better).

So even a good TT with new cart hooked up to a proper receiver input won't be as loud as a CD? What a rip off! LOL What's the point of purchasing receivers that have phono inputs if they're 10db down from the rest of the system?

Is there any way other than to buy a separate pre-amp to get more volume? My Sansui AU9900A integrated amp has three position impedance switch, but that's not really input sensitivity per se, is it?

So even a good TT with new cart hooked up to a proper receiver input won't be as loud as a CD? What a rip off! LOL What's the point of purchasing receivers that have phono inputs if they're 10db down from the rest of the system?

Is there any way other than to buy a separate pre-amp to get more volume? My Sansui AU9900A integrated amp has three position impedance switch, but that's not really input sensitivity per se, is it?

Well, if you're counting on the phono section of a "receiver" to drive your "good TT with new cart" you're never going to get there.

By the way, my SPU mono with Jorgen Schou step up tranformers going through the phono section of the McIntosh C22 is about 10 db UP from the CD output through the line stage.

Pm me your address, I'll send you my Cinemag stepup. See if that works for you and if it does, build one and you're good to go. They are very easy to build.