Denon receiver with rotel amp?

elninoloco7

I currently have a 7.2 set up. I have the Klipsch RF-82 (FRONTS), RC-52 (Center), RS-52 (2 SIDES), RB-51 (2 BACK), and 2 JBL 12" 400watt RMS subwoofer. Currently I have a Denon 2307 rated at 100watts X 7 at .08% THD. My friend is selling me a Rotel THX 5 Channel Amplifier for about $400. It is 100watts X 5 at .03% THD. My room is a dedicated theater room which is roughly 16 X 21. Will I hear a noticeable difference if I upgrade in music and or movie wise, and is it worth buying? I would be using the pre outs from my receiver.

A real bargain could help seal the deal.The Rotels are good amps and it's priced about average.The 3802/3 sounded much better with a Parasound amp(140x5).The only downside is your still using the same prepro and will be limited to it's quality.

A real bargain could help seal the deal.The Rotels are good amps and it's priced about average.The 3802/3 sounded much better with a Parasound amp(140x5).The only downside is your still using the same prepro and will be limited to it's quality.

by 3802/3 do you mean the Denon AVR 3802?..and what will i be limited to?........So what you are saying is that overall i can get a better sound with a rotel amp added to my Denon?

Yes,I had the Denon 3802/03/05,you can expect better overall performance.The difference may be big,or modest,set up/room/expectation apply.Last,much will depend on the quality/sound of the preamp/processor in the Denon.

I think its a good deal, he bought new for $999.99 he still has recipt and original box, and in near perfect condition not a scratch on it, he's a real good friend of mine, i know $400 seems like a good deal, but $400 is $400, so i dont want to waste it if i dont need it thats why im asking these questions

Buy it and try it,you'll be able to sell it and get your money back if you really want to.The price is fair for the newer looking model in 8/10 condition..

Thats what i was thinking at first he lives across the country from me, and I really didnt want it shipped until i really thought it was worth it. Thats the main reason i asked if i would notice a difference. The system i have now sounds just fine. But it'll be great to hear a big improvment. I asked a local store that sells Rotel they say it will make a HUGE difference, and i asked at another store saying that because of my speakers and receiver i do not need it. SO i wanted to know if someone has had this set up before. I might have to buy it and try it out for myself to get the real answer, but im trying to stay away from that as my last option

• Moderators

My guess is that the Rotel will sound better, but how much better...I have no idea. I had a Harman Kardon 55 watt/ch and hooked up a QSC 265 watt/ch amp to it. WOW! Huge difference. Headroom out the wazoo and it added to the clarity and separation of the instruments. Not sure though in your setup since many folks around here recommend Denon and the Rotel has similar wattage. I was trying to look up the actual amps each one puts out. Both can have the same wattage but if one has higher amps, from my understanding it will produce more power than the one with lower amps. Dampening factor might play a role as well but that is something I know little about.

Speaking from personal experience, adding an outboard amp to a receiver increased the useable output that was available but didn't really improve the sound quality. Adding a dedicated pre-amp made the biggest difference of any component in my system.

So basically what ya'll are saying is that it will make some what of a difference but by adding an actual pre amp like a rotal processor, im guessing, then i'll see a huge difference? if so i wounder why, all im doing is just taking out the signal, the denon receiver would do the same thing as a preamp processor will do, i tihnk. BY THE WAY THANK YOU ALL FOR HELPING ME OUT!! [:D]

If you decide to get the Rotel, I'd be interested to hear your impressions. I really can't see it making a significant difference in sq or power.......but if $400.00 is not a big deal to you than by all means try it........and like one of the other members said, you'll probably not have a problem selling it.

Good Luck.[:D]

wuzzer get's it! If you look at my replies over the years I've always said that after speakers the preamp is the next most important thing.A good amp(not those included in avr's,not even midfi) is important,but a Rotel,Outlaw,Emotiva,ATI,Parasound etc...will all get r done pretty good.The pre or prepro is what you hear(of course you need a decent source).

There is nothing like having a stack of RB-1090 in the house ... LOL

Well beside the fact you can't stack them because they weigh almost 100 lbs , these bad boys actually come with casters built into the bottom at the rear so you can have a fighting chance of rolling one into a audio cabinet [:P]

Try a 15 x 19 room with 4 k-horns and a pair of RB-1090 Rotels ... if thats not enough to make your ears bleed then throw in a RB-993 running a Belle Center and a pair of Lascala's flanking the side walls ..... and just for good measure we can't forget the 2 klipsch subs