Pointless La Scala Ramble

pauln

Marvel, since owning the Cornwalls I have, first, changed the crossovers, and just this week-end changed the tweeters, all with Bob Crites parts, I am very happy with end results ...............

The only point I'm trying to make is, Most of the La Scala's in this thread are modded, so to compare them to UN-Modded La Scala's really isn't fair, is it? It's like everything else on this Forum, K-horn Guys will tell you K-horns are best, then the Jubilee guys will tell you their's is best. If you don't have the right room for your speakers, they won't sound right ..... the type of music has alot to do with how some speakers sound ...... I'm as happy with my speakers, as you guys are with yours ........... I've been over 2 years coming to this point with my speakers ....... have tried many ..... it wasn't easy ..... I really don't appreciate being told I didn't hear La Scala's with the right equipment, but that's a minor thing ........... The La scala's I had here had BEC Xovers, and Tweeters, believe it or not, they just didn't fit my needs, or my room, it's that simple .......... The guy that ended up buying those La Scala's just bought a set of JUBILEE'S ............. go figure !!!!!

I really don't appreciate being told I didn't hear La Scala's with the right equipment, but that's a minor thing ........... The La scala's I had here had BEC Xovers, and Tweeters, believe it or not, they just didn't fit my needs, or my room, it's that simple ..........

Well that would be me that said that, and I apologize if you took it personally. I said that because I had a NOSValves 299 for 5 years, and much preferred the La Scala's over my Chorus and Chorus II's at the time (I didn't have the Cornwalls then) with the Scott. Like you, I just feel my room is a better fit for the La Scala's, and really allows them to open up. Also, my music tastes have changed over the years, and alot of the stuff I am playing will sound better on the La Scala's, but I still play alot of classic rock from the 60's and 70's.

And yes, you are right, my La Scala's are modified. I started with the ALK Universals, and they just made such a huge difference over the stock AL's. Then I added the Altec 511B's and they too made a huge difference over the stock K400, and lastly the Crites tweeters, which I prefer over the stock K77's. There is no doubt that those upgrades make a significant improvement over the stock parts. But I would also like to mention, that I much prefer the sound of horn-loaded bass. With the right equipment/room/music it just sounds glorious imho.

Regardless, I'm not here to ruffle any feathers. I know which one I prefer and that's all that matters. I am pretty certain if I had friends over to compare the 2 they would prefer the La Scala's as well. Again, that's in my room with my gear. YMMV...

Mike

Mike. it's no big deal, I tried many power sources with the La Scala's, they are just not for me. I did ask the question about enclosures earlier in the thread, and no one responsed to it. I will admit, I liked the La Scala's better than I liked the Forte 2's, but that's all about mid-range presentation, I find the Traxhorn to be alittle to overpowering, just my tastes. Believe me, if you told me 2 years ago I'd own Cornwalls, I would have laughed, but, it is what it is. I know you aren't trying to ruffle my feathers, nor am I trying to start anything. I'm just as happy with mine, as you are with yours, but, the wrong speakers in the wrong room can be awful .................... besides, I need something to be cranky about ............... EH !!!!!

The LaScala's sound awesome to me too. Have you raised them up about 3 inches in the front? Makes a huge difference!

Where did you learn that trick Wink

True, true, I did learn that trick from one of my favorite amp builders! I really need to have some risers built for them. Rosalie has not complained about the shoddy looking blocks ......yet. Are you still using lotion bottles Craig?[;)]

It's been a long time since I listened to LaScalas. Comparing my upgrade from Cornwalls (which I still have) to KHorns, I have to say that Michael Colter observes much the same as me. For example, old Deep Purple sounds less "hissy" through Cornwalls as it does through KHorns. I think the size of the midrange horn causes that. But top quality production (like much Steely Dan, for example) sounds better through KHorns.

I don't hook up my Corns anymore, and my music preference has shifted away from some of that "rough and tumble production" like Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Jethro Tull, The Guess Who, etc. - except for I still like to play them to drums (where just "sitting and enjoying" is not as much an issue).

Also, what is interesting is that new, head-banger nusic sounds freaking awful through KHorns. My nephew brought some music (I don't know what it was... Korn, Radiohead, whatever), and I was unable to take it. I literally feared it would damage my speakers if I tried to jam with it like I do cleaner rock.

I'd say CW's are better for 70's hippy classic rock with a more raw production, and KHorns are better for more-refined production. I'd bet the same goes for LS as does KHorn just for the fact of the larger mid-range.

I appreciate the tip Craig via Gonzer[;)] Will be trying this out in short order[Y]

I would like to say I think I know exactly where OB is coming from since he is the proverbial rock hound of the late 60's thru late 70's the Cornwalls are a classic rock speaker for any environment where as the oh so bright Las especially in a small confine can get just a little un-nerving at medium volumes where the Cornies will absolutely get tighter especially in the bottom end once the juice starts increasing. I have no technical #'s or engineering expertise on this whatsoever but I do know how these two speakers sound and what they are strongest at regardless of how good the gear is.

I don't think Mike's killer 103 Zu system would be what OB likes as far as sound signature because he likes the warmer bass heavy sound of that direct fire 15"er[:D] Now he may come in here and tell me I'm full of $%$# as a Christmas Turkey but I happen to feel the same way about that era rock on these two speakers. Speaking of the hissy sound Jeff there are far to many mediocre recordings of that era and what I find the best (also what I think OB hears) is a very forgiving Cornwall vs. the ruthlessly revealing Las[;)] Love the term RAW PRODUCTION[H]

4 my favorite rocker out here anytime Br-O-B[;)]

Now I will say by the thread topic there is nothing pointless about the Las[:D] With the right tube amp/amps Classical, female vocals and Jazz can absolutely not be beat not to mention if you want to run for your states govenor all you have to do is tie these down to the hood and bed of your truck and they won't forget your traveling speeches for years to come[:o] LOL