Pointless La Scala Ramble

pauln

I started listening to music this evening at 6:00PM; I just finished and it is 3:00AM. There is no real point to this thread except to comment that the Klipsch La Scalas are so nice. I'd love to keep listening but I'm tired. Classical music sounds so good on the LS, maybe I'll play one more record before turning in. Still no real point to this thread except to say that I just love these speakers.

I'm learning the violin, adding to the list of instruments I play, and I just listened to Bach's Double and Brahms' concerto - did I mention how much I love these La Scalas? I know lots of you out there know what I mean - just felt like saying again.

I gotta agree, Paul. Mine have never sounded better since the Zu Audo DL-103R was mounted on the TD-124. I just couldn't be happier with my rig at the moment, and would love to share it with someone that was into it like I am. This ZU is freakin' amazing! Anyone who says La Scala's can't generate bass needs to hear what's going on at my place. I have Cornwalls in the same room and they don't even get any airtime anymore. There is no comparison between the 2 speakers. If the other sources are up to snuff the La Scala's will bury the Cornwalls everytime.

Mike

Mike, I agree totally with your experience. I'm using a 103R in which I installed an ebony wood body and potted with epoxy. This combo with my Scott 299 has an amazing amount of bass. I'm in the process of trying a Juicy Music Blueberry/Jeff Rowland Model 2 combination that I hope will surpass the Scott, if that's possible. I swore I wouldn't upgrade for quite a while. Well upgradeitis has taken over again.[:|]

I gotta agree, Paul. Mine have never sounded better since the Zu Audo DL-103R was mounted on the TD-124. I just couldn't be happier with my rig at the moment, and would love to share it with someone that was into it like I am. This ZU is freakin' amazing! Anyone who says La Scala's can't generate bass needs to hear what's going on at my place. I have Cornwalls in the same room and they don't even get any airtime anymore. There is no comparison between the 2 speakers. If the other sources are up to snuff the La Scala's will bury the Cornwalls everytime.

Mike

The LaScala's sound awesome to me too. Have you raised them up about 3 inches in the front? Makes a huge differance!

No need to raise mine as my 511B's sit on top, and provide the dramatic difference in soundstage and imaging that you might be getting with raising the front of yours.

Mike

Now for the other side of it, I like my Cornwalls, had La Scala's, didn't care for them !!!!!!!! Cornwalls suits my musical taste much better, they look better in my room ........... but, let me ask this question, hope it comes out right; Do you think it's the design of the speaker you like better, for example, the Khorns and La Scala's are folded horns, the Cornwall is a Bass reflex, the Heresy is an acoustic suspension, and the Forte's use a raditor, I think the sound each of those systems makes is different, and makes certain music sound better through those suspensions ? So many speakers, so many different designs, I think Klipsch covered it all !!!!!!!!!!!!

OB,

I would say it is the design, but that the design and
its attributes might need to match what the listener likes in their music for
it to be the right design. I think the La Scala’s design matches well with my
preferences.

Here are my preferences:

I don’t like boomy bass, I like the sound of
instruments that play low well reproduced.

I like a wide band midrange that is not split by a
crossover.

I think I like a slightly rolled off high end
response and certainly don’t need a tweeter that extends above 16K Hz.

I like dynamics, which does not mean loud, but a
range of loudness; including the careful reproduction of quieter sounds.

I like the super low speaker distortion that comes
with very high efficiency.

Here are things that seem to match well:

I listen only to records, so the dynamics and
frequency response is a good match.

I listen at what to me is a comfortably loud level
where the SPL meter shows peaks at 90dB from my chair, which by the nature of
these meters reading about a dozen dB too low below the true acoustic peaks;
meaning that I am still probably pushing less than 1 whole watt.
There is no distortion in the La Scalas. In fact, they are
hardly working at all – no stress, no strain, just dynamics, efficiency, and
big beautiful sound.

I use SETS, so the efficiency and dynamics is a good match. This
listening level is a good drive level for my SETs (preamp volume control at the
half way point). And the load presented by the La Scalas is easy for these kind of amps.

Anyone who doesn't care for them has never heard them with gear that brings out the best in them. I am guessing you never heard them with your 299, ob. The Cornwall is a much more forgiving speaker. Poorly recorded music still sounds good on Cornwalls. On La Scala's poorly recorded music will run you out of the room.

Mike

There's nothing like having a PA in your living room to make music sound LIVE.

Horns are incredible on horns, especially the K400.

But if I could have only one pair of Klipsch (other than Khorns), it would be the Cornwall. To my ears, in my room, the CW sounds better with more different types of music.

Which is better? I had CW and LS hooked up side by side for a few months when I first got LS. It depends entirely on what you're listening to.

Currently I have LS in front and CW behind me- the best of both worlds.

Pauln,

Glad to hear someone else spends hours just listening.............

I was Privliged to AB the LaScalas VS the CW at Michael Colter's House. Both have unique qualities. But I am glad I went with Cornwall's. They seem to handle everything beautifully . IMHO.

I agree with Michael and all the La Scala lovers. Pretty much all the Heritage Klipsch stuff sounds great with new, low ESR capacitors. But you guys simply have not heard ALL of the bass in your recordings unless you put some meat under them LaScalas like I have. Ignore the center LaScala.....my R and L channels are 500 pounds each and sound totally amazing. I tamed that inherent peak in the LS bass horn at about 150 Hz by crossing over to the MWM's and level matching with instruments. That extra few ocaves down there make a huge difference AND it's still ALL HORNS and no "boom." Talk about detail and dynamics.......wow.

post-22904-13819367638554_thumb.jpg

Anyone who doesn't care for them has never heard them with gear that brings out the best in them

That's not True ............. Is it just possible that someone doesn't care for the sound of La Scala's ? Yes, it is ............. They do not fit my needs, nor do they fit my room, just not for me !!!! ............ when I had a pair here, they were powered by Sony HT Reciever, a Scott 222, and a Solid State McIntosh, and I also heard them powered with a Kenwood SS Intergrated, and a Scott 299 ............ So, I did hear them with different equipment ........ I have never said; One is better than the other. I guess my point was, I'm as happy with my speakers, as you guys are with yours, ...... aren't I allowed to write that ???

Anyone who doesn't care for them has never heard them with gear that brings out the best in them

That's not True ............. Is it just possible that someone doesn't care for the sound of La Scala's ? Yes, it is ............. They do not fit my needs, nor do they fit my room, just not for me !!!! ............ when I had a pair here, they were powered by Sony HT Reciever, a Scott 222, and a Solid State McIntosh, and I also heard them powered with a Kenwood SS Intergrated, and a Scott 299 ............ So, I did hear them with different equipment ........ I have never said; One is better than the other. I guess my point was, I'm as happy with my speakers, as you guys are with yours, ...... aren't I allowed to write that ???

You are allowed to write whatever the hell you want. I got both LaScala and Cornwall.

Cornwall seems more forgiving of SS amplification. The LaScala's sound more hollow and boomy with what junk SS I got around here. They sound like a different speaker with a tube amp. My little SE Magnavox 6BQ5 sounds really good with them. But they do lack the lower bass.......but IMO, I like the compromise of lower bass for a cleaner sounding horn loaded bass. And it isn't that much difference to me.

Subwoofers can make up the difference......even a Cornwall can use a couple of subwoofers if you want the bottom feeding bass.

You gave LaScala a chance from the looks of that post.

I just realized that most of you guys aren't using STOCK La Scala's, they all are modded someway, So, are you really liking the La Scala's, or the MODS that make them sound better ???

I just started with a good thing... [:P] What have you done with your Cornies?

You know - you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.