dSLR Advice

damonrpayne

I have the Nikon D50.

my son has the Nikon D80

They are both great cameras. I have always had nikons, digital and 35 mm, so my lenses are interchangeable.

I truly think that Canon and Nikon make great gear. I would not want to change just because of the lens issue. You would probably be happy with either.

Paul

I can't comment on the higher-line Nikon vs the more economical Canon. Hopefully someone can give you an intelligible rundown regarding functionality and learning curves vis-a-vis features, advantages and disadvantages. That Canon model is probably lighter than the D80, and the much longer lens in the Nikon package in your link would likely add weight as well.

It seems to me that a 50mm/1.4 lens has a somewhat narrow utility. What advantages does the person recommending it see in a single-focal length lens with the large aperture of f/1.4, i.e., what kind of shooting does he or she do? The bigger, more costly aperture has brighter viewing when it's dark, certainly quite a bit brighter than the f/3.5-5.6 zoom lenses in your other two links, but those newer cameras will give you good visibility with the smaller-aperture zooms, and auto-focus makes it less of an issue.

The 50 mm f/1.8 is a smaller, lighter and cheaper alternative to the f/1.4.

IMO, single-focus lenses such as 50 mm-only are often somewhat sharper, clearer, and have better color contrast than zooms such as those offered in the other two links in your post. I used only single-focus lenses myself for many years for that reason, tho' it was a bit purist of me.

One thing you should consider is how close a lens focuses. Those zooms only give you good magnification at the telephoto end of things, while the wide-angle end can be very frustrating because you can't step up to the subject. If that could be important and you like the idea of a 50 mm single-focus lens, you might also look at a 50 or 60 mm f/2.8 macro lens -- quite a bit more expensive, but gives you the opportunity to focus really close up with excellent clarity and color. However, I think a 100 or 105 macro is more useful along those lines, but now you're talking really big bucks. Anyway, today's zooms have "macro" settings that let you get close, although ultimate clarity is lacking compared with, say, these specialized macro lenses: http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Product/Camera-Lenses/1987/AF%20Micro-NIKKOR%2060mm%20f/2.8D.html and http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Product/Camera-Lenses/2160/AF-S%20VR%20Micro-NIKKOR%20105mm%20f/2.8G%20IF-ED.html. BTW, you'd be right to guess that I don't know the current prices of these lenses!

Back to zooms: these are VERY handy for forming up your picture. You'll be jockeying all over the place trying to get the right pic in your viewfinder with a 50 mm-only lens. The photographer is undoubtedly right about it taking great pics, but he or she is probably used to using it.

Hope this helps.

Guest srobak

D70 here... I love it. Absolutely stunning pix.

For "snapshots" I use a Fuji FinePix S5200... 10x optical... muuuuuch better than your cybershots and whatnot. which rely mostly on digital zoom.

I pondered over both of these same cameras last year.

I utimately went with the Nikon D80. I definitely do not regret it. I love this camera.

Check these professional reviews of both cameras. That's what I did.

Also, note that the Nikon D80 also comes with an 18-55mm lens for a lesser price.
I think at the time I bought mine the D80 was about $200 more than the Rebel with both having the same lenses.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06092301nikond80review.asp

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0608/06082416canoneos400drebelxti.asp

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/nikon/d80-review/

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/digital_rebel_xti-review/

Just like the great speaker questions of our times, the answer to 'which is best' DEPENDS.

What are your intended uses for the camera/lens combo? The 50 1.4 is great for artsy shallow-depth-of-field and portraits, but makes a lousy travel, interiors, and landscape lens.

For so many people, it's about pixels, pixels, pixels. We have enough pixels, you'll never use them all. On my Nikon D200 I rarely use RAW 10 MP files, 4 MP is more than enough for most applications. What matters is features and the quality of the lens. Remember before light strikes those pixels, it has to pass through the lens. Get the best money can buy here and you'll never be sorry. Me, I stick to Nikkor glass.

Michael

Remember, with digital, DUST IS THE ENEMY. You do not want to be changing lenses very often, especially on location. I'd stick to a very high quality wide-moderatly tele with 2.8 aperature if you can spring the $$ to do it. 17-50 or so should do the trick, that's equal to the old 28-70 and should cost about a grand or so for the glass. This lens will last you a lifetime.

I purchased an XTi about six months ago and LOVE it. I got the 18-55mm lens package and the 50mm 1.8 lens also. The 50mm lens is great for portraits and when the family gets together. You can check out this site, I also belong to it. www.photographyreview.com A lot of helpful people if you do join but if you do a search you might get some answers.

I really comes down the functions and fit. Go somewhere and hold each camera. they don't have memory cards in them but you can still hold the camera and snap off a picture to see how it feels.

James

Be sure to check out the new-ish Sony Alpha line before you buy anything. The Alpha mount can use any of the Minolta Maxxum lenses, which are widely available on EBay and used camera stores and are generally excellent, and the Sony has a very unique approach to "live view" LCD panels on a couple of the models. I have an a100 (no longer made, been superceded) and I would not trade it for any of the similarly priced Canons, Nikons, Pentax or Olympus models.

Also be sure to use www.dpreview.com for research - best reviews and tests on the planet, IMHO. Though they do tend to be a bit Canikon-leaning... [:$]

...are the lenses interchangable???...my little brother has a new Digital Nikon (D40???) and said my Nikon 70-210AF tele-zoom won't work on it...

Bill

That is true of the D40. It will only work with new "G" lenses, which are made specifically for digital bodies, and do not have an aperture ring. Aperture on those is set by the camera thumbwheel. The D40 is the first Nikon camera body that won't fully work with any Nikon lens made since the '60s.

Nikon just released the D60, a digital body for about $700, which is a couple of steps up from the bottom-of-the-line; next in line are the D200 and D300, around $1700, which are as much as anyone, except for professional photographers, would ever need.

Its a very difficult call, between Nikon and Canon; neither is head and shoulders above the other on any important dimension. That said, listen especially to Michael Colter, he is a pro photog when he is not at the office.

Just like the great speaker questions of our times, the answer to 'which is best' DEPENDS.

What are your intended uses for the camera/lens combo? The 50 1.4 is great for artsy shallow-depth-of-field and portraits, but makes a lousy travel, interiors, and landscape lens.

For so many people, it's about pixels, pixels, pixels. We have enough pixels, you'll never use them all. On my Nikon D200 I rarely use RAW 10 MP files, 4 MP is more than enough for most applications. What matters is features and the quality of the lens. Remember before light strikes those pixels, it has to pass through the lens. Get the best money can buy here and you'll never be sorry. Me, I stick to Nikkor glass.

Michael

Of course, sir!

I would plan mainly on taking pictures of home theaters and speakers inside, pictures of my food inside, some pictures of grilled food outside, and pictures of my kids inside and out. None of these things are likely to be very far away of course. Does this help give you an idea of what I'm looking to do? Seems folks are a little Nikon leaning.

Michael, need any computer junk done? Maybe I can trade for photography lessons...

Interior shots demand wide angle, kids playing would be normal to slightly tele. You'll want a solid tripod to capture home theaters with ambient light.

Here's the lens I'd recommend for you. If it's beyond your budget I have a lightly used lens 18-70 3.5-4.5 that I might sell.

http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Product/Camera-Lenses/2147/AF-S%20DX%20Zoom-NIKKOR%2017-55mm%20f/2.8G%20IF-ED.html

17 x 1.5 = 24 mm a great focal length for your room setup shots, landscapes, vacations

55 x 1.5 = 85 mm the old portrait standard- slightly telephoto lets you pull in distant subjects and the perspective of 85 flatters subjects in closeup portrait

This is a 2.8 lens so it'll be fast, meaning you can shoot in low light conditions without flash and also have pretty limited depth of field for artistic control. A much faster lens costs big $$$, but a slower one will limit your capabilities somewhat.

• Moderators

When Michael came down here he let me play with his Nikon for a few minutes, I was hooked. I ended up with a Nikon D 80 and I love it, it came with the 18-135 3.5 lens, not the best but a good all around lens. Michael has the D 200 it was a little to much $ for me, I am very happy with the one I got.

One thing I will say is if at all possible buy from a local dealer, for less than $200 extra I got a extended warranty for 5 years, everything is covered even if I drop it. I usually don't buy extended warranties and these cameras are pretty tough but it's still all electrical, chips, light meters and small motors jammed into a very small package anything can go wrong and they are not cheap to fix. This way I don't have to worry about it for 5 years.

RichardP...thanks for the response...does ANYONE use 35MM anymore???...Wink

Bill

If, by "35MM" you mean film, the answer is yes, and probably about the same percent who still prefer vinyl over CDs. And they give similar reasons...that the older technology has something they like or want that the new technology does not have.

To clarify my earlier post, only the D40 cannot accept older Nikon lenses. All other digital Nikons accept the older lenses.