EARTHQUAKE !!!

colterphoto1

Guest srobak

What - the 89 quake wasn't big enough? :) I seem to remember pancaked sections of double-decker skyway flattening passenger cars to about 1 inch thickness and all that.. .

My daughter called me from St. Louis. I think the first she has experienced.

The New Madrid fault is dangerous, my friends.

It has produced the four largest quakes in recorded history in N. America. It's seismic zone includes parts of five states.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Madrid_Seismic_Zone

Oh, yes, we felt it in St. Louis this morning. Also, felt at least one aftershock. (4.5). Now strangely enough one of our interior doors will not fully close. Time to look at the foundation tomorrow.

I agree, the New Madrid fault is dangerous. This morning was the much smaller (and less dangerous) Wabash Valley fault, located in eastern Illinois. Ironically, I head to Wabash Valley for Tuesday to Friday of next week to produce some people for depos. Hopefully, it stays quiet, and this was an isolated occurrence.

Carl.

I was in one in Nevada in 1978. It felt like someone shook the bed sideways just a little.

In about 1987 one hit in the Chicago area. I was in a restaurant. It felt like someone kicked my chair by accident. I looked around for the joker but everyone was normal.

Last night I was in light snooze mode. Again there was the characteristic side motion and the metal window frames in this high rise made a small tinkling sound. Even in snooze mode I thought "earthquake" but nothing to worry about.

A buddy at the office has a loft condo in the South Loop with a long run of exposed sheet metal HVAC ducts. Apparently this event excited a resonance and the structure gave out a very loud noise like someone was breaking into the place with a crowbar. In the morning he recreated the event by giving a light finger thump to the HVAC ducts. Again, it was as if there was a major assault.

It just goes to show that some of our homes have built in seismometers which may give reports out of proportion to the actual event.

Gil

My daughter called me from St. Louis. I think the first she has experienced.

The New Madrid fault is dangerous, my friends.

It has produced the four largest quakes in recorded history in N. America. It's seismic zone includes parts of five states.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Madrid_Seismic_Zone

Thanks D D,interesting read.

5:45 am in cincy

Wasn't it earlier then that?

Granted I'm in NY, but as I saw news of the 5.0 earthquake on the TV at 4:40am EST...so wouldn't that put it at prior to 3:40am? (I take a 4:54am train into NYC if you wonder why im up so early.)

todays paper confirmed it was at 5:37 am in cincy

If you want an earthquake warning get a dog. If you want a tornado warning listen for the air raid siren or watch the super magnificent 70000 doppler radar weather interupts on your local tv programs. They will show the "loops" and the crosssection of the impending storm. They will also bore you to death with their in depth warnings as the tornado crunches your house when you should be hiding in a shelter. Funny that I have never seen a reporter trying to stand in the wind of an approaching tornado.

JJK