Rejoining the Klipsch community after a break of over 40 years

If the Italian and French couriers perform as they have promised, I ought to be the proud owner of a pair of RF-83's tomorrow morning. I last had a Klipsch speaker in the early 1960's. It was a single Klipschorn for a mono system. I bought the Klipschorn second hand from a small cinema in Edinburgh, Scotland when it was closing down. I remember the look on my mother's face when it arrived back along with my school trunk, at the start of school vacations. "Where on earth are you going to put that monstrosity" or words to that effect were said. Sadly it disappeared when my parents moved to a smaller house at the end of the 60's.

Moving on, I decided to replace the worthy but dull Dynaudio 122's in the main system at my French house, with something a bit more exciting. I had my main Quad 606 amp rebuilt over the winter back in the UK and amongst other improvements, the drivers were updated to now give me around 350 watts RMS/channel. I felt that the Dynaudios were just not going to do justice to this. I had thought of second hand Quad 989 Electrostatics but in the end decided that a new pair of RF-83's were the route to go.

My question is - how long do people think it will take my new RF-83's to break in. The various speakers I have bought over the last few years have varied enormously. Approximate figures as follows: Dynaudio 122's - 50 hours, Dali Royal Menuet MkII - 25 hours, Infinity Kappa 200 - over 150 hours, Acoustic Energy AE 1 MkII - nil, sound the same 7 years later as they did when they came out of the boxes.

Wilson

Welcome back! It must be like you have not left.

No the gentleman responding to your question may well be spot on. He(*Duke Spinner) does not mince words, or bandy about. It will be interesting to hear your take when they shortly arrive. *Youthman a forum member here, may be able to expand upon your well placed question.

For that matter, please elaborate on your adventure with Klipsch, if you so desire.

Wow, a Leica M8. Nice camera! I only have the older heritage products, all well broken in before I got them, lol. I, too, will be interested in how you like them and how long you think it took or will take for them to break in.

And also... a big welcome to the craziness. We're mostly a bunch of nutcases here, but we enjoy it and help each other out the best we can.

Bruce

Welcome back to Klipsch and congrats on the RF-83's.

I'm no help on suggesting how long to run in the speakers. It would be interesting to hear your take on it.

One thought came to mind, have a party which will continue until they are properly broken end. Could be an open ended adventure!

Bruce,

I have to confess I was lazy and downloaded that photo of an M8 from the Leica Website. Mine is actually the black and silver one. It has had teething troubles (mine is camera #310) but various firmware updates have gradually sorted it out to become a wonderful camera. I have been using Leicas since I could first hold a camera. I still have my father's IIF, which works as well as the day it was bought in 1953 and still looks like new. In fact it was a friend on the Leica Camera user website who suggested I go for the Klipsch speakers, when I was moaning that after 12 months, I still had not bee able to find a pair of Quad 989 Electrostatics at the correct condition/price. It would seem from various discussions on the Leica forum, that people who like Leicas, also like top end HiFI equipment and many like me, are keen on "lifting the hoods" and upgrading the internals inside those grey boxes. Now just eagerly anticipating the knock on the door from the courier and then I will have to fetch my neighbour to help me shift those 100 pound lumps into the correct positions.

Wilson

PS Can someone tell me how to put paragraph breaks in a reply - Is it because I am using a Mac, that the paragraph breaks in the draft don't appear in the post?

France, should'nt we be trading you some Morels for som truffles. Or trading something what do they have the best of in France that I want???? Long trip for cheese????? Any thoughts?

Brac,

Where I have my house, I am surrounded by oak trees. I was woken up two nights ago by the sounds of wild boars (sangliers) routing around in my grounds, I assume looking for truffles. The next morning, there were 6 inch to a foot deep holes all over the place. I often have to chase mushroom hunters out of my little wood, explaining that I too like morels, cepes etc and these are MY mushrooms.

"PS Can someone tell me how to put paragraph breaks in a reply - Is it because I am using a Mac, that the paragraph breaks in the draft don't appear in the post?"

As far as I can tell, Klipsch managed to choose the only forum software available that doesn't have good support the Mac platform. You will find that using Firefox works somewhat better than Safari at least for the formatting although it has other issues.

Bob Crites

Blah, blah, blah....("<-p-><-p->")

Blah, blah, blah...("<-p-><-p->")

Take out the dashes and you're back in business. At least that;s the way it works with Safari. Welcome to the forum...cheers

To make a paragraph break using a Mac ... and Safari .. you need to manually enter a bit of HTML.

At the end of a sentence ... where you want a break ... type ..... a less than symbol ... p.... and a greater than symbol

If you do two of these combos ... you get a double space, like I just did .... I can not type the actual code.... cuz it does not appear ... but if you reply to this post .. then hit "quote" ... you will see what I have typed.