Don't Buy McIntosh

artto

I have never met a nicer bunch of people than I have met at the McIntosh Factory, and Service Department. Their service and customer interaction is TOP NOTCH, and far above what other companies provide ........ The Service Department went well above what they need to do to please customers, and my Hats Off to them .......... Proud they're in New York State !!!!!!!!!

I remember the MX130. Stereophile recommended in 1995. When did they stop making them? 1998

I have had to wait for MAC glass as well. Longest was about 1 year. THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE AND I WILL NOT TOLERATE IT.

I dont know of any other MFG that still supports 10-15 yr old gear; or would re-order glass once their stock goes out. We all know what happened to Rolls Royce - they went belly up. APPARENTLY THAT'S WHAT HAPPENED TO McINTOSH. THEY WERE BOUGHT OUT IN 1983 BY CAR AUDIO MANUFACTURER CLAIRION AND ARE CURRENTLY UNDER NEW OWNERSHIP, D&M HOLDINGS

Good luck. TommyK

My experience with Klipsch is that customer service hasn't changed much. It's as good as it ever was.

Back in 73' I bought my first Klipsch, some "custom" unfinished Cornwalls with mitered joints & grill cloth, just like the finished models. Several years later the veneer started lifting on one of the cabinets. I thought it might have been my fault because of sanding the finish too much. Klipsch said no, it doesn't matter, we'll replace it. A few weeks later the cabinet arrived but it was the standard unfinished model. I called and explained, got apologies galore, and a promise to put it into production immediately. A week later it was on my door step & the local dealer came over to swap the components.

Last year I bought three RC7 direct from Klipsch. One of them was badly damaged. I had another one back within a week including shipping the damaged one back to them at their cost.

Now THAT IS CUSTOMER SERVICE. I'm not getting this from McIntosh right now.

I too would recommend that you contact Audio Classics. They had glass in stock for my 6100. I believe that Mcintosh manufactures the glass once they get a few orders for it. I don't think that getting a cagey response is good but I would have to say it is pretty remarkable that they still will supply glass for a unit that old. Even if it takes a while to get it. There are not many if any companies that I can think of that do that. TRUE, BUT IF THEY ARE GOING TO DO THIS, THEY NEED TO DO IT IN A MORE TIMELY MANNER. A CUSTOMER SHOULDN'T HAVE THEIR EQUIPMENT SITTING IN A SERVICE CENTER PARTIALLY DISASSEMBLED FOR UP TO YEAR WHILE IT WAITS FOR PARTS!!!

Josh

God forbid anything should go wrong with your unit. McIntosh service SUCKS.

The front glass panel for my MX130 is backordered. The unit has been in the shop since February 4. McIntosh has no ETA on the part and refuses to give an ETA.

When I buy a Rolls Royce type product, I expect Rolls Royce type service. The service department was even very cagey and sly about the way they answered, or I should say, declined to answer any of my inquries. For having so many products in the $5000 - $25000 range this is a *** shame!

Is this Mcintosh as in your local dealer or Mcintosh factory service department. ITS AT ELECTRONIC ENGINEERS IN CHICAGO, THE LOCAL AUTHORIZED McINTOSH SERVICE CENTER.

How does it sound? Indifferent IT SOUNDS FINE. THAT'S WHY I'M PISSED OFF. I WANT MY MAC BACK!!! I POSTED A REVIEW OF IT A FEW MONTHS AGO WHICH WENT LARGELY UNNOTICED.

Best of luck!

McIntosh is expensive anyway.

Have you any idea how much more it would be for glass if they carried a large stock level for non-current product?

I'll wager you wouldn't be willing to pay it. THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT HERE. I'M NOT PAYING FOR IT. IT'S AN INSURANCE CLAIM AND THEY'VE ALREADY PAID ME FOR IT AND I HAD TO PAY FOR THE PARTS IN ADVANCE BEFORE I GOT REIMBURSED AND THAT WAS ALREADY 3 MONTHS AGO!!!!! GRRRR [8o|]

Klipsch follows the same business practices on replacement parts for older speakers, even though they made mass quantities (compared to McIntosh).

My experience with Klipsch is that customer service hasn't changed much. It's as good as it ever was.

Back in 73' I bought my first Klipsch, some "custom" unfinished Cornwalls with mitered joints & grill cloth, just like the finished models. Several years later the veneer started lifting on one of the cabinets. I thought it might have been my fault because of sanding the finish too much. Klipsch said no, it doesn't matter, we'll replace it. A few weeks later the cabinet arrived but it was the standard unfinished model. I called and explained, got apologies galore, and a promise to put it into production immediately. A week later it was on my door step & the local dealer came over to swap the components.

Last year I bought three RC7 direct from Klipsch. One of them was badly damaged. I had another one back within a week including shipping the damaged one back to them at their cost.

I am suprised that you dont see the difference here. In your Klipsch example you were dealing with Klipsch. In you McIntosh example you are dealing with a repair service that is not McIntosh. It would be like blaming Klipsch for the moron salespeople in Best Buy. Best Buy is an authorized Klipsch dealer but talking to them is not the same as talking to Klipsch. I think you vitriol and anger is misplaced. Instead of Saying DONT BUY MCINTOSH you should have said DONT GET YOU GEAR SERVICED AT ELECTRONC SERVICE CENTER.

There are good service placed and bad ones. Audio Classics is a good McIntosh service center, the one you choose in Chicago is not. Neither should be thought of as a representation of the quality of McIntosh's service center.

Josh

I am suprised that you dont see the difference here. In your Klipsch example you were dealing with Klipsch. In you McIntosh example you are dealing with a repair service that is not McIntosh. It would be like blaming Klipsch for the moron salespeople in Best Buy. Best Buy is an authorized Klipsch dealer but talking to them is not the same as talking to Klipsch. I think you vitriol and anger is misplaced. Instead of Saying DONT BUY MCINTOSH you should have said DONT GET YOU GEAR SERVICED AT ELECTRONC SERVICE CENTER. I UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU'RE SAYING, BUT I RESPECTFULLY DISAGREE. THIS IS McINTOSH'S AUTHORIZED CHICAGO AREA SERVICE CENTER. THE LOCAL MAC DEALER REFERRED ME TO THEM. AND McINTOSH ALSO REFERRED ME TO THEM. MAKING A CUSTOMER PAY IN ADVANCE FOR THE PARTS AND THEM HAVE TO WAIT UP TO A YEAR TO RECIEVE THEM IS RIDICULOUS, ESPICALLY SINCE THE UNIT IS ALREADY APART. THE SERVICE CENTER CALLED ME AND SAID THE PARTS WERE IN BUT APPARENTLY IT WAS A DIFFERENT GLASS PANEL, NOT FOR MY UNIT. SO YES, THAT PART OF THE EQUATION IS THE SERVICE CENTER'S FAULT. BUT NOT BEING ABLE TO SUPPLY REPLACEMENT PARTS IN A REASONABLY TIMELY MANNER IS NOT.

There are good service placed and bad ones. Audio Classics is a good McIntosh service center, the one you choose in Chicago is not. Neither should be thought of as a representation of the quality of McIntosh's service center.

Josh

here's the Program, since it seems nobody gets it ..

you pay for the glass up front, 'cause the service center knows it's gonna be a year ..

mac, ain't gonna silkscreen 10 pcs of glass..

when they have an order built up, for say, a hundred, they'll run your particular glass

it's just how it is ...

should they stock glass ..??

well, that's a topic to ask .. Mac ..

If you've got a problem with McIntosh, ranting and raving on this forum will do you no good FROM MY STANDPOINT ITS A BUYER BEWARE ISSUE. A LOT PEOPLE ON THE KLIPSCH FORUM USE McINTOSH, & A COMPANY WITH McINTOSH'S REPUTATION SHOULD HAVE MORE CONSIDERATION FOR EXISTING CUSTOMERS. ............ complain to them, I ALREADY HAVE. THE PARTS DEPARTMENT PERSON WAS ACTUALLY KIND OF SLY AND SNOTTY IN HIS RESPONSES. I ASKED TO SPEAK TO SOMEONE WHO COULD ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS & I WAS FORWARDED TO THE COMPANY PRESIDENT'S SECRETARY. SHE CALLLED ME BACK & SAID SHE WOULD HAVE THE CUSTOMER SERVICE MANAGER CALL ME BACK. HE HASN'T CALLED BACK YET. .. OR .. Don't buy McIntosh products PERSONALLY I HAVEN'T REALLY CARED FOR MAC, PARITICULARLY THE 70'S & 80'S SOLID STATE STUFF. IN RECENT YEARS I'VE HEARD AND READ MORE GOOD THINGS ABOUT THEM, SO I GAVE IT A TRY. I REALLY LIKE THE UNIT. IT'S MUCH BETTER THAN THEIR EARLIER SS DESIGNS. I WANT TO KEEP IT AND USE IT BUT NOW IT LOOKS LIKE I'M BACK TO WHERE I WAS, MAYBE WORSE. I'VE SHELLED OUT THE MONEY FOR THE UNIT AND REPAIRS AND MAY NOT HAVE THE THING BACK FOR ANOTHER NINE MONTHS? HOMEY DON'T PLAY DAT GAME. .. doesn't seem hard to me THEN WHAT'S SO DIFFICULT ABOUT KEEPING SOME INVENTORY AND WHEN IT RUNS OUT, MAKE A FEW MORE? .. they are good folks in Binghampton, N.Y. ............. THAT'S YOUR OPINION. THEY HAVE YET TO PROVE THEY ARE WORTHY OF MY ATTENTION AND MONEY!!!

It doesnt sound like anything is going to change your opinion of Mac. I for one am still impressed that they would actually manufacture spare parts for a product that was discontinued long ago. They may decide that that's not a good idea since it pissed off a customer so much. It would be easier for them to say "sorry we do not provide parts for old units". Not sure that would really be better.

BTW Old Buckster

My Mom was born and raised in Binghampton - and both parents went to high school there. Used to go to Binghamton for family stuff some 40 years ago. Maybe I just have a soft spot for companies in Upstate NY and want to cut them a little slack!

Josh

Artto, welcome to the world of custom, one-off JIT production. I am a grateful customer of McIntosh, because they are the ONLY stereo company I know who will still produce OEM replacement faceplates for one, two, three, four or five decade out of production equipment.

You have the short end of the stick for three reasons - the 130 has a tremendous number of holes, with a couple well noted weak bridge points that like to fracture, as yours probably did. Second, your stereo store should have promptly returned(or not even taken) your unit until the replacement arrived. Third, your unit is just out of production - but it still follows their JIT inventory practices, based on orders in hand. FWIW, it sounds like you have spent a considerable sum on Mac gear at this store. It may be worth requesting a demo unit to replace yours awaiting repair as a customer accomodation. The Mac dealer in St. Louis did this at one time, I'd try asking. Good luck!

Why does their glass break so often and why do they keep designing something that breaks all the time? Or is it one of those things that gear-o-chondriacs have a need for.

I was wondering the same thing. Why not make it out of polycarbonate? Hmm, now THERE's an idea...