FAA bans anti-smoking drug Chantix .

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/health/drugs/2008-05-21-chantix-smoking_N.htm

Dang , I'm heading to Costa Rica Thursday on a surf trip with some old friends . I was hoping to pick up some Chantix while I was down there . " Much cheaper and you do not need a presciption for anything there ".

My father quit smoking at age 70 using Zyban . Anybody have suggestions as far as Zyban or any other stop smoking drugs out there ?

BTW - I quit smoking April 30th and am using nicotein patches right now .

I'm confused. The FAA banned it, so unless you are a pilot, and need some to fly, you should be fine.

The thing I like about the patches, at first, is that it they are a constant supply of nicotine. When you crave it, but also when you don't. If you're doing well not smoking, you might try an on-demand delivery system. I'm a big fan of the lozenges, much more so than the gum. With these options though, you only have it when you "want" to. Challenges include the potential for more frequent cravings, without the patch.

Good luck!

I'm confused. The FAA banned it, so unless you are a pilot, and need some to fly, you should be fine.

The thing I like about the patches, at first, is that it they are a constant supply of nicotine. When you crave it, but also when you don't. If you're doing well not smoking, you might try an on-demand delivery system. I'm a big fan of the lozenges, much more so than the gum. With these options though, you only have it when you "want" to. Challenges include the potential for more frequent cravings, without the patch.

Good luck!

Yep I jumped the gun . It was only the FAA not the FDA that banned it . Chantix still sounds sketchy to me . I would hate to be driving and pass out while using it .

Congrats! Keep it up.

Chantix worked for my wife. She just passed 1 year smoke-free on May 12th. I couldn't sleep while taking it so after a week I went cold turkey. Chantix works though! Travis used it and quit successfully. He's still around to tell about it.

I'm coming up on a year myself. I'll probably get hit by a bus instead.

Congrats! Keep it up.

Chantix worked for my wife. She just passed 1 year smoke-free on May 12th. I couldn't sleep while taking it so after a week I went cold turkey. Chantix works though! Travis used it and quit successfully. He's still around to tell about it.

I'm coming up on a year myself. I'll probably get hit by a bus instead.

Congrats to you Gary . I remember when you started the Chantix treatment but I did not know you quit it after a week . Cold turkey is hard ! I think I'll try Mungkiman suggestion about the nicotine losenges after I finish the patches I have .

I did the losenges too. They work as well as any other nicotine replacement product, better than some since it gives you something else to suck on (keep your minds out of the gutter folks). In the end, it's all in how much you really want to quit!

If a drug gets banned or put on limited distribution, etc., that is a big red flag to me. The government agencies that are supposed to protect us are more interested in protecting the profits of the drug companies, so I figure if they are worried about something then it is probably just the tip of the iceberg.