3-5-7 channel amp questions...

InVeNtOr

all i need is 2 channel amp for the mains and 1 channel amp for the center, or a good 3 channel amp if possible. the problem is i don't know which brands, price, or anything for that matter. i don't even know if i can afford it. i don't care if it's new or used, just that it works. i don't need it now, but would like to at least have the right info for me to search around and look for deals. the weird thing is i found an adcom 3 channel amp but it was as much money as a 7 channel amp.

any help to get me started would be great....

i might get toasted for asking this question, but what watts should i get? what range? the receiver i may get will be 130w. is 200w a good number or should i just pony up the dough and get a 300w? another bad question, if i chose to bi-amp my 82's, how do i do that with a receiver and amp? the receiver will be 130w and lets say the amp is 200w. does the tweeter side get the higher watts? how do you keep the volume the same? is there a way knowing if one side is getting too much power? should i just stick with bi-wiring the 82's?

help the noob!

• Moderators

200 watts is definitely a solid amount of power to push any Klipsch speaker. I've never tried to bi-amp my RF-83's but see if this helps on the bi-amp question. The whole "To bi-amp or not to bi-amp" is a much debated issue. Some say it does make a difference, some say it does not. I would suggest searching the forum for biamp and you will yield a wealth of posts with lots of discussion.

yep i don't think i will bi-amp anything. it lookes like i would need other equipement and i think i am over my limit of questions that i can ask. lol

i think even having it bi-wired would add more resistance because of the 2 equal lenght wire runs instead of 1 run and a jumper. well thats why i am a noob and know no better....lol

By far, the most important question is bugget?? From your other equipement, I believe the ADCOM unit you looked at would be fine. The Carver you looked at is a fair enough price, but with 0 feedback, I wouldn't touch it unless I could listen, pick-up, and pay in person.

The ADCOM unit you saw would have been a GFA-5503, they put out 200 watts per channel time 3 channels, go for about $400 on ebay, and are a fine amp, plus they match the two channel GFA-5500, which is easy to buy and find on Ebay for the same $400, so you can easily match and make the jump to 5 and 7 channel systems for very little money. Some ADCOM units have problems such as the 5 channel GFA-7700, so they bring only $350 to $400. The GFA-565 Mono Blocks at 44 pounds and 300 watts each, are considdered ADCOMs finest, but need the Capacitors changed out as soon as you buy them, so they don't bring big money either, but I am not aware of any problems with the GFA-5500 or the GFA-5503 and they are a bargain at that price, plus a more Bass oriented amplifier. As a side note, the GFA-565 mono blocks are being upgraded on the second hand market up to the price of used Krell gear. I run my center with a single GFA-565 and all others with Nakamichi PA-7IIs

Roger

You also must remember that 100 watts on a dedicated amp is a lot more power than 100 watts on a receiver. A 200 watt amp will make most speakers sing.

I have an Adcom and I love it so far. I'll take a listen to a few others to compare but for the money I like it. I agree about the zero feedback. Don't touch it unless you can pick up locally.

i woun't get it unless it was a deal i couldn't pass up. i don't want to buy anything untill i move into the house. i did e mail them, the wife has an ebay account and has lots of feedback, it's the hubby who put the gear up for sale. it sounds as if the amp is priced right, and that isn't good enough for me to make a jump and buy it.

Inventor,

Does not make sence for husband to have a seperate ebay account, especially if her feedback is good. Anybody who does much ebaying knows that you wont get near as much for anything from an unproven seller. I have 320 feedback with 100% possitive, a never a single mutual withdrawl or neutral feedback. Sh-t stinks and so does his story. Be careful & don't get hosed.

Roger