Cheapie up-converting DVD player....who has one?

Tom Adams

buying one just for the upscaling is definitely a waste of money because even with the upscaling, even the very best Hi Def players don't deliver as good a picture with standard DVDs as regular DVD players do

I hate to disagree with Dean, but I see a huge difference between a standard and the toshiba units.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tom, have you experienced these quality issues? I have the 3910 inputting to a 1.2 version display, and not noticed any issues. I realize that your display is probably 1.3 and MAYBE uses tru-color x.v. or whatever they call it. I may be wrong , but I dont think SD disks are capable of this anyway. I would think the 3910 would do just as good a job as a cheap player until you can get a Bluray.

LOL! are you sure at your age you can see and hear the difference? just kidding....lol

I've actually been very fortunate. I didn't have to use reading glasses untill I hit 50 and can see far off better than my teenagers. I can also hear things in recordings that my family doesn't notice (or maybe it's just the voices in my head[*-)]).

"I hate to disagree with Dean, but I see a huge difference between a standard and the toshiba units."

I should have said "a good standard unit". A $400 HD-DVD machine that is now selling for $80 undoubtably delivers a better picture with standard DVD than a $50 regular DVD player from Walmart. I mean, the original poster is using a Denon 3910 and I'm comparing to the $1200 Sony 9100ES.

What are you comparing it to?

http://reviews.cnet.com/video-players-and-recorders/toshiba-hd-a3/4505-6463_7-32563584.html

Do you own a 983H, because if you do you're one of the few that do -- I've been on the waiting list for over a month. The only Toshiba HD player that got high marks for standard DVD playback is the HD-AX2 -- which as of right now is still running close to $600.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=133#ToshibaHD-XA2%20(Component)

Feel free to read all of the Hi Def player reviews with the benchmark tests. Everything I've read everywhere (except your post) says the new Oppo is top dog.

Guest srobak

I believe my own eyes more than I do reading specs and benchmarks. Any Klipsch owner should be able to understand and appreciate that logic :)

Saturday Audio Exchange had one some time back, I took my A2 there to compare with Hunt For Red October, Star Wars Ep 3, and Batman Begins. Straight HDMI from deck to display (Pioneer 52inch model I think? I forget exactly what), and it was a clear difference. The older Oppo was a friend's, and I used on my own Westinghouse display when decidingif I should keep the Toshiba. The answer was clearly yes. :)

I have had or installed alot of different dvd players, high end low, HD and upconverting. Before the HD dvd players came out, my eye were partial to the oppo units but they don't compare to the toshiba's. I will at some point pick up a BD player, or PS3, but they are not as good up converting either.

Of course these are my eyes and my oponions.

Don't know if its' been stated yet, BUT... The Toshiba HD-XA3 (IIRC) has an EXCELLENT scaler in it, and originally listed for about a grand. These should be hitting the secondary market for fairly short money now that HD-DVD bit the dust.

and Avelink

Ok lets keep this apples to apples. The Avelink isn't really made to play disk. It is however the best thing going for a link player. Who needs an HTPC when you have an Avelink.

I love my Avelink Player, it's Awsome!

great link, DeanoG,

"The 983H is also a true universal DVD player, offering DVD-Audio and SACD playback via HDMI (v1.2) or analog outputs. The 983 does not offer a pure DSD output though for SACD...The tentative release date of the Oppo DV-983H is March 10, 2008, and if you’re looking for reference video playback performance, this is it."

I got the Oppo-981HD because of the great audio reviews (I do far more movie watching at home now than music listening, but this way I get to hear my sound system)

standard video on my Oppo seems better than my cheapo $40 Magnavox

it has HDMI connection, but 1080 upconverting is not available unless you make the HDMI connection

controller is crowded and the first one that I will say is not easy to use

wish I knew how to find Hometheater's recommended list when I am looking for something

After reading all of the responses, here is my question. . . If I don't want to shell out the $400 yet for a BR, but want the best possible picture quality with a SD DVD going to a Panasonic 1080p plasma tv, what could I go with? Should I opt for a Toshiba that upconverts to 1080p for $70- $80? Sorry to add to the confusion.

I realize that the Toshibas that have been referenced have been about HD DVD players. It is my understanding that an SD player that upconverts to 1080p via an HDMI connection will provide an exceptional picture, just a step down from BR.

Am I mistaken? Should I be looking at the soon to be defunct HD DVD player to give exceptional quality for a SD DVD?

Guest srobak

The answer to your question lies in several responses already posted.

As I said - my HD-A2 upconverts SD DVD's to 1080 over HDMI far better than even the top Oppo. The UC chipset in the A2 (and I think the A3, not sure) is the same as was in their $400 model.