Cornwall Project

bliss53

Greg,

I have read that the mid range horn for the cornwall is the weak link. I know you have built some 2" throated horns. Before I paint my motorboards I wondered if there is a wood horn I should consider. It would be great if they worked well with the b3 stock networks that I just recapped, but I would consider new networks. What do you think?

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greg,

I have read that the mid range horn for the cornwall is the weak link. I know you have built some 2" throated horns. Before I paint my motorboards I wondered if there is a wood horn I should consider. It would be great if they worked well with the b3 stock networks that I just recapped, but I would consider new networks. What do you think?

Yes I did build a Fc400Hz, 2" throat wooden horn with a known tractrix flare for my Cornwalls. I also had to build some pretty expensive crossovers for them. It's not something I can recommend yet. Not only is it expensive, but I'm not sure I like the sound. I think I may need to take them to my house and hook them up in my living room so I can hear them in a known environment. I also have a few things to try, like crossing over at a lower point and going back to the original K33's.

You should contact Gothover, he's got some experience with a horn that takes the original driver and can be used with the stock network.

Greg

Ordered some of gothovers cornwall horns yesterday. I am really looking forward to hearing them. Met jntfoley last night for a quick beer and talked about speaker projects and crossovers. Also took some more pictures last night of my painfully slow progress.

Nice work, and nice shop. I'd like to try to reveneer one of my pairs of Corns someday. I like your nice organized shop too! I just have to plug myself and say that I did a bunch of machine work on the molds that make those Hanson socket trays you have pictured. Keep up the good work and keep the pictures coming.

Jeremy

Those Cornwalls are coming along nicely, Horns are on their way.

BTW, I feel your pain, I restored this set in 2007

Thanks for following along. Is there a link to your 2007 restoration project? Also, will the horn adapters fit k57 drivers?

I need some help. I have talked to Noah and I have determined that my cornwalls IIs may have been 1.5 that recieved what ever parts were on the shelf. See the picture. I think I have a k77 and a K57 with a B3 crossover. I changed the caps in the B3 with Bob Crites supplied parts. My question is is there a compromise to using this combination with gothovers new horns in this project? What if anything would you change?

Just to re-cap what I found in my records...

It looks like your Corns are "1,5's" as during 1984 Klipsch seemed to put what ever was handy into the last of the Cornwall's..

Although the K-57 looks just like the K-52, the K-57 was actual the standard mid driver for :

the Cornwall II and

the Chorus 1 and

the CP-301 (pro chorus) and

the CP-1 (pro heresy listed as OBSOLETE) and

the P-201 (pro heresy)

But was never LISTED with the Cornwall...

When Klipsch started using the K-57 they also started using the k-79 (and started using the Cornwall II crossover in the Cornwall line.)

Nowhere that I can find did Klipsch use the K-57 with the K-77 or K-77-M (like you have,) always with the K-79.

Either Klipsch did it and never listed it as having been done or a prior owner (of your corns) did it...

That's what my best research shows.

Noah