Cornwall Project

bliss53

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I need some help. I have talked to Noah and I have determined that my cornwalls IIs may have been 1.5 that recieved what ever parts were on the shelf. See the picture. I think I have a k77 and a K57 with a B3 crossover. I changed the caps in the B3 with Bob Crites supplied parts. My question is is there a compromise to using this combination with gothovers new horns in this project? What if anything would you change?

Bump for some help with my driver question.

Guest David H

Does your driver screw on to the horn or is it bolted on? I think the horn you are planning to use is a screw on. Bob Crites

Bob, the Fastrac Horns are bolt on or thread on, just requires a simple adapter. Bliss, give me a call. I left a pm for you days ago.

Bob, thanks for the quick turnaround on my order. DH

post-24405-13819476934862_thumb.jpg

Hi Pete,

If it were me, I would go back to B crossovers with K-55's or try to find a pair of K-52's to go with your B-3's..

Personally, I like the sound of the K-52 w/B3 a little more than the K-55 w/B...

But it's close.

One should work as well with the new horns as the other (with that adapter.)

I would like to hear other opinions.

Noah

Does your driver screw on to the horn or is it bolted on? I think the horn you are planning to use is a screw on. Bob Crites

Bob, the Fastrac Horns are bolt on or thread on, just requires a simple adapter. Bliss, give me a call. I left a pm for you days ago.

Bob, thanks for the quick turnaround on my order. DH

Let's see if I can show what I am concerned about supposing the K-57 is a bolt on. Looking at the picture below, you see the K-52H which is the Heppner driver that Klipsch took and turned into the K-57K. Notice the metal phase plug and it's shape. The "nose" (part with the screw threads) fits over that metal phase plug and has the right taper inside to match the phase plug. Notice also that the diaphragm is separate from the phase plug.

Bob Crites

post-9312-13819476968468_thumb.jpg

Now, Klipsch took that basic design and had a new diaphargm manufactured that incorporated the phase plug as a part of the plastic housing of the diaphagm. They also molded the horn to allow the driver with diaphragm and phase plug to bolt on the new horn. So any part the metal "nose" may have played would now have to be performed by the new plastic horn. That is why I am not sure you could use this driver with a different horn unless you had some of the original screw on type "nose" pieces.

Bob Crites

post-9312-13819476969218_thumb.jpg

Guest David H

I think I have a solution to the problem Pete, contact me when you have a chance.

In the mean time I ran some curves on the K-52H and the Fastrac. The K52H is decent driver.

post-24405-13819476975478_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the review. Do recall what tweeters your cornwall 1.5s had?

Edit: forgot to hit the quote button for dkalsi's post

If it means anything to you - I would like to add that out of the 4 Cornwalls I have had (including Cornwall IIs), my Cornwall 1.5 (i.e., the one with B-3 networks) are the best sounding Cornwalls I have ever heard.

That network was modified due to the different midrange driver. It would work but it most likely won't sound right, should be easy enough to turn it back into a B network since it is a simple network with a 4uf & 2uf cap, coil, autoformer and terminal strip.