Cornwall Project

bliss53

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got them sounding great with new caps and tweeter diaphragms, now for the refinishing. Sanded down the original finish carefully with a belt sander. Ordered two sheets of 10 mil backed sequential cherry veneer from Oakwood (Thanks Greg).

Greg where did you get the veneer trimmer that you use for trimming with the grain?

Got them sounding great with new caps and tweeter diaphragms, now for the refinishing. Sanded down the original finish carefully with a belt sander. Ordered two sheets of 10 mil backed sequential cherry veneer from Oakwood (Thanks Greg).

Greg where did you get the veneer trimmer that you use for trimming with the grain?

www.tapeease.com

• 2 weeks later...

Another question. My horns and bass driver are mounted to the back of the motor board. Is there any problem with running a 1/4" or 3/8" router round over bit in the motorboard openings to give a slight horn shaped look to the openings?

Greg,

Got two new sheets of undamaged cherry last week. I have a question. The sheets have a large number of dark slivers in the grain. As an example you can see a few in the damaged picture above. Should I accept this and not send it back or is this pretty standard for cherry?

Peter

The short answer is yes, it's normal. But it all depends on the grade, the price you paid, what was communicated to the supplier, what kind of mood the person picking the material was in that day, etc...

I'm sure you could get completely clear cherry if you asked for it.

Greg

• 10 months later...

First of all thank you for all the great posts of past projects on the site and especially to Greg for the detailed tips and pictures on his site. http://www.dcchomes.com/Gregsaudio.html

Finally started the veneering after the sanded cabinets sat waiting in my shop for almost a year. I picked up some lascalas that put the project on the back burner.

I decided to restore them to a stock look rather than do any big modifications. I procededwith a final fill and sand of the cornwall cabinets. Layed out the cherry veneer and found that it would have been better to two 10 foot sheets rather than two 8 foot sheets. That way the layout for the four surfaces of each cabinet could have been consecutive. Painted the cabinets and veneer sheets with heatlock glue. Wrapped one speaker. Sides first, then top and bottom. Found that using a wide putty knife as a spacer while trimming the cross grain left nice uniform edge of veneer that could be sanded flush eaisly. Veneer trimmer worked great in the straight grain cuts if you cut with the feathered direction of the straight grain. The paper backed veneer from oakwood was very easy to work with and left great looking corners. I will work on the mitered edge banding this week in the evenings after work and take some pictures.

Greg,

I don't know if you remember the set of Cornwalls I did in oiled Flat cut Cherry, but I beveled the ends(only the end joints)of my sheets of paper backed veneer from Oakwood with a picture frame matte cutter. I made 4 to 5 passes with increasing depth/pressure, worked like a charm.

Greg,

I wanted to reduce the stress on the glued edges as I cut so I remember hanging wallpaper (which I really dislike) and it occurred to me that this would not stress the edge and leave small uniform overhang and protect the freshly placed side veneer from my unsteady knife. Sorry for the crude drawing.

Greg,

I don't know if you remember the set of Cornwalls I did in oiled Flat cut Cherry, but I beveled the ends(only the end joints)of my sheets of paper backed veneer from Oakwood with a picture frame matte cutter. I made 4 to 5 passes with increasing depth/pressure, worked like a charm.

Hi Jordan, nice to see you posting again.

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what you mean by beveling the end joints.

Greg

Greg,

I wanted to reduce the stress on the glued edges as I cut so I remember hanging wallpaper (which I really dislike) and it occurred to me that this would not stress the edge and leave small uniform overhang and protect the freshly placed side veneer from my unsteady knife. Sorry for the crude drawing.

Ah yes, I see. With the backer board that would work well. I have tried cutting from the back side and I got a lot of chips in the veneer as the knife blade passed through the top veneer, but with a backer board, that probably wouldn't happen. Thanks for the picture and explanation.

Greg