Cornwall Project

bliss53

Guest David H

Nice, I was concerned the adapter got lost in the mail system.

Your findings on the drivers are consistant with mine, here are the graphs.

I found the K-55 to have an overall smoother response, and respond better at the lower frequencies. The K-52 not as smooth on an analyser, but listening test was difficult to tell the difference.

K-52H

post-24405-13819488151954_thumb.jpg

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The current configuration in testing is ct125, k52, with the ALK ap12-500/es5800 dialed with the mids at -9.5db and the tweeter at -5. Very nice. This is the best setting but I seem to notice a little disconnect between the high end of the mid and the tweeter. If I bring down either the mid or the tweet from these settings the mid detail is decreased to much.

I will be finding the correct settings on the ap12-500/es5800 in my room with the K55. Then I will try a borrowed ALK designed cornwall crossover with the k52. That should ending the testing.

Thanks to all those who are provideing the borrowed equipment and offering the valuable advice.

Are you talking about switching the postive and negative wire connections from the drivers at the terminal strip? If so, do you change the tweeter and listen, then return the tweeter to the original position and switch the squawker and listen?

Bliss,

One of the computer based RTA software programs and a sound card should do for basic testing. You will need a good reliable mike too. I use a fancy dynamic analyzer for testing, but it's not for a living room environment at all. It's a big beast on a wheel cart that I hide in the shop!

There is nothing scentific about listening tests. It's totally subjective. Everyone hears something different. Often people will hear what they want to hear! This is why I very seldom say how something sounds to me. If you hear an improved sound stage with a particular setting, then that's where to leave it set!

Al K.

I have arrived at some decision on my cornwalls. The best sound came form the following 2 combinations for me. The first and the best was the ct124, k52, gothover horns, k33 with the alk network settings described above. A close second was the k77m, k55v, gothover horns, k33 with alk designed B network replacement.

So today I gutted the cornwalls to finish the black spray paint and to put a finish on the new veneer. In order to have something to listen to during this process, I dragged the old lascalas out ant put in ct125s, K55vs, new alk mid horns on top, and k33 with the ap/es alk networks. I was prepared to like this set up less than the modified cornwalls. i believed that the cornwalls were a more appropriate scale for my room, the cornwalls sounded way better than the stock lasaclas, and I like that the cornwalls play a little lower.

Boy was I wrong. The modified lascala blew me away. They may not play as low but the presence of the alk midrange horn was pretty amazing. It matches so well with the woofer that I never missed the lowest register. I now have two pair of great speakers and a main speaker choice to make and testing to do... time for a lascala thread.

I am thinking figured maple veneer with a separate top hat for the lascala... also for a lascala thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Update. Applied three coats of danish oil on and will add several coats of butchers wax this weekend. I broke one of the grills when I dropped on a corner. I had not yet applied the cloth. It was made of 1/4 inch mdf. I will redo with 1/4 inch plywood. Live and learn.

Looking good Pete...

I like that stuff in the background too!

You still have them both, yes?

N

Still got them both. Never heard from shipper. Did you get a settlement. I have not done anything yet.

Working on cornwall grills today. Using groomlake's instructions. I noticed his tag line says that he is not an active member. If any one is in contact, let him know that I thank him very much for sharing his knowledge and experience.

Using groomlake's instructions. I noticed his tag line says that he is not an active member. If any one is in contact, let him know that I thank him very much for sharing his knowledge and experience.

Bliss: I was inactive for about 3 months due to work and mil commitments. Happens every year from mid-May through August. When I get ready to leave or be unavailable, I just change my profile so folks don't send me emails or PM's and I cannot reply in a timely fashion. I've not had any problems using the fiberboard for grills.... but I always use the type that is resin impregnated (has a reddish tint), and always paint both sides to really make sure it is sealed. Greg's method using very thin plywood is probably better for the larger grills in the long run, but either way works well. I like the fiberboard inasmuch as it's what the factory used and I guess it's more of a "nostalgia" thing.

BTW..... They sure look nice so far; absolutely great work!!!! Your attention to detail is superb!!!