My poor garden

peshewah

My garden started out great. Lots of rain and sunshine. But now my pea's are shot, the tomato's and pepper plants are looking bad. Way too much rain. The leaves on the tomato plants are turning up. But my wife and I where trying to over look the tomato and pepper plants by looking at our corn. The corn is loving the rain. Until today. A storm came thru and flatened my corn. The ground is so soaked that we can't stand it back up. More storms is on the way. We count on our little garden to help feed us thru out the year. A person might not think that it helps that much but it does. And the price of produce is going sky high.... Whats a man to do

You know a private little garden of any sort is more than just a way to get good veges, flowers or whatever. It is a statement. If a mans home is his castle then his garden reflects the level of his majesty. You put more into a private garden and it is heart breaking to see it throttled by anything. I feel your loss.

• Moderators

We have seen this time and time again with our landscaping clients that do not install an automated irrigation system.

The only way to tell a plant has been overwatered....lift the plant out of soil...if the hole fills with water or the water is dripping off the roots...overwatering is the culprit. Oddly enough the outward appearance of the plant looks exactly the same as a plant that has been underwatered.

We had the same problems with out tomato plants this year. We installed a zone on our automated irrgation system to make sure the tomatoes received adquate water (an obvious problem with the heat in our area). We do not have a rain sensor on our automated system. We left on a seven day cruise....torrential rains occured in our absence....tomato plants were yellowing and dying....had to replace a lot of them.[:(]

Build a frame with enough height for the plants. When it starts to rain too much, cover the garden with thick plastic sheeting. If there is too much heat and sun, cover with a sun-blocking material which comes in ranges from 50% to 80% blocking ability. The larger scale the garden is the harder this is and more expensive, but make it in unit sizes you can work with. Use drip or soaker hose irrigation to save water when needed.

Thanks for the reply's. Our plants do look like they are under watered. The pepper plants look burned up and it hasn't been that hot. Building a frame is a good idea. But I'm a little stapped for cash. Had to send one of my boys to Hawaii on a band trip. But anyway, we did try to stand the corn back up using strips of old sheets and T-post. I hope they take. We should know in a few days. Thanks again guys and gals