Khorn AA crossover mods...??

Yeh. I think you are getting good advice here. You'll think you've got new speakers with fresh caps. There are other possibilities for mods beyond that, but I'd suggest just enjoying your new sounding Khorns for a while before thinking of doing anything else.

Thank you all for taking the time to send me this info. I agree with the incremental approach: just changing caps with some hi-grade caps (Sonicaps or Solens, or...?) and enjoy it for now...then after I get rich and famous (or cash in my stash of beer bottles a few times) I can spring for some ALK or BC xovers.

Is there any reason for me to continue with the AA xover? I understand it provides tweeter protection from excessive power....but I currently drive the Khorns with a modded Dynaco ST70 (Maybe 30 watts), and will be building a flea powered SET after I cash in LOTSA beer bottles.

The AA crossover should be ideal with your electronics. Some of the steep-slope crossovers soak up a bit of amplifier power. Replacing the caps will bring your crossover back into original spec, so you can hear how an AA crossover was actually designed to sound.

Before thinking of a different crossover, I'd consider a pair of BEC's CT125 tweeters. They sound noticeably clearer than the K-77s and are a closer match for output between individual drivers, typically within 1dB or less, while K-77s, especially old ones, can vary as much as 2-3dB.

Thank you all for taking the time to send me this info. I agree with the incremental approach: just changing caps with some hi-grade caps (Sonicaps or Solens, or...?) and enjoy it for now...then after I get rich and famous (or cash in my stash of beer bottles a few times) I can spring for some ALK or BC xovers.

Is there any reason for me to continue with the AA xover? I understand it provides tweeter protection from excessive power....but I currently drive the Khorns with a modded Dynaco ST70 (Maybe 30 watts), and will be building a flea powered SET after I cash in LOTSA beer bottles.

I would change them to Type A's and just add fuses to the tweeter portion. You want to have tweeter protection, even with low power. I have blows fuses with 30 watt amps (from a faulty volume control on a preamp).

Does anyone have any preference on the caps? I've seen people use sonicaps a lot - is there anything out there that is cheaper but equal quality? I know that 50 bucks or so isn't too bad for 2 crossovers, but I'm sure there is another brand out there that has a really cheap price and the quality is still there. Anyone kn ow?

"I've seen people use sonicaps a lot - is there anything out there that is cheaper but equal quality?"

Nope.

Agreed.

But...I tried out some of the inexpensive Jantzen from PE on my AA's and they're not bad. Not Sonicaps but not bad for $20 for 2 crossovers to my door. The values on the Jantzens are 1.8 and 12 instead of the 2 and 13.

Harry