Klipshorn too big for my room?

Nate3200

Roger, here is the back of the unit you identified. It looks
brand new. Also, when I unscrewed the bass compartment there was a smell of
fresh cut plywood! It felt like I was opening a treasure chest! I'm a guitar
player and have some experience with 50s-60s guitar amps, but the hifi realm is
all new to be. It’s ironic; many guitar players do not like EV and JBL speakers
because they are too efficient. They want the speaker cones to break up.
Anyways, I can see that the build of these components are superior to what is
made today; just like in the vintage guitar amp world.

Posted Image

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The EV speaker cone code is 7270. Would I be able to see the doping from the back of the speaker? As I look at the compents more closely, this is what I can see:

Cab A: University horn with wooden "Squaker", EV350, EV T25A, and Stephens Truesonic. (Three units in the top, one woofer in the bottom)

Cab B: EV6HD horn, EV350, two identical units with circle screen in middle,

Posted Image

a circle shaped unit which is red,

Posted Image

EV 15" speaker. (Five components in the top and one woofer in the bottom)

I paid $560 for the pair. What do you think they are worth? I realize that they are not a matched pair.

Is cab A a three way, and cab B a five way?

Nate

Posted Image

Posted Image

Nate3200,

The dope on the EV woofer is on the cone surround. Is the EV woofer cones surround an Orangish Red surround??

The EV woofer and Stevens true sonnic woofers are period correct.

The university driven wooden lensed horn is period correct.

Those EV T-350 tweeters are an upgrade, and are much newer than your speakers, if they were the same age, the alnico magnet structure would match the tanish paint on the EV15W-K woofer.

Incidentally, you could Ebay that pair of EV-350 tweeters and come out having nothing in your speakers at the price you paid.

I have no idea what that red coned thing is, but it never came in that speaker.

Your one speaker apears to have an EV-25 horn in it as well. This is not orriginal either.

Once you get this pair correct and up a running correctly, I would be guessing at best, especially without close personal inspection, but I would say easily 5 times what you paid.

Drivers alone those tweeters are $500 for the pair. The EV15W-k is $250 if it has a perfect orriginal cone, $150 with a replacement. I'd say $150 for the T-25. The wooden horn lense Universities are worth at least $100-$150 each as conversation pieces if nothing else to a Klipsch lover. I don't follow Stevens prices, but I'm sure it would probably bring as much as the EV woofer, and I don't know what the hell that red thing is.

Lets just say that you did not get hurt with your purchase...

Roger

Thanks for the info Roger. Now that I know the EV350s are not original to the unit I might use them for a smaller project. The EV 15" does not have the orange surrounds. It must be a recone. Later I will open cab B to see the model numbers of the other components.

Since the tag on one unit appears to be original Klipsch authentication, and is dated 1954, I suspect this unit was originally purchased as a single unit, as consumer stereo hadn’t really been introduced yet (still the monaural era), and other unit was purchased sometime later when stereo became available. I also suspect the second unit may not be an authentic Klipschorn and is most likely a third-party clone or clone kit such as those made by SpeakerLab, unless of course you can find orgianl tags somewhere, but even then it looks modified. The owner then may have made some changes to the original Klipschorn such as the T350.

Since you mentioned that you’re a guitar player it might interest you to know that the Stephens Tru-Sonic speaker company was purchased by The Standel Company in the late sixties for use in their musical instrument amplifiers and PA systems. Standel was not known for grungy sound and consequently was increasingly not very popular with the Rock crowd although you can spot old pictures of bands like Jefferson Airplane & Quicksilver Messenger Service using them. The Lovin Spoonful and Young Rascals were among their rock endorsees. Because of Standel’s very clean sound they were popular with C&W and jazz musicians such as Wes Montgomery, Chet Atkins & Joe Maphis. I used them also & still have a couple.

And yes, the Klipschorns are too big for your room. Both the room and setting them up as pictured will not do them any justice but none the less, a great find ~ especially the “real” Khorn. The Fisher should mate real well.

Nate3200,

Exactly what I was going to say in regaurds to the Patrician. I have been OOT and just got back. The long unit is most definately Electro Voice. These same drivers were also used in the Georgian, mounted in the center of the big mid range horn with a smaller horn attached to it.

Roger

Does anyone know what type of tweeter originally came in this 1954 Klipsch cab? Right now, there is an EV350 and an EV T25A. I would like to take one out to make it more original.

Nate3200,

Neither of these two were orriginal too your speaker. Your 1954 cabinet with the 190 serial number is the 69th Klipschorn built at the factory ever. Paul Klipsch made 20 more of these speakers in a shed prior to opening up the factory, so this is probably the 89th Klipschorn ever built.

Orriginally, your speaker would have had a University MID-T-4401 tweeter. This will be very hard to find. Until you can find a pair of these, I would suggest putting in a pair of Electro Voice T-35 tweeters that they first started using in November of 1957. These early EV tweeters will have the same tannish painted Alnico Magnet driver as your EV woofer. These early EV T-35 tweeters will be alot easier to find, and came with two different sized horn lenses. A skinny one, and one with the same dimention horn as on the new speakers. I believe the skinny one to be more period correct from the few early units I have seen pictures of. (I just checked ebay and there are several University MID-T-4401 tweeters for sale right now!!) Maybe BEC or Colter, or someone knows which ohms rating you need for sure, but I suspect you need a 16 ohm. Can anybody verify this????

If your Stephens Woofer is Orriginal, it should be a 103LX2 woofer. I just saw one of these on ebay. Please post a picture of your stephens woofers model number. Please also post a good picture of the badge on the back of your EV woofer, a close up please.

Do both of your units have the wooden K-5-T horn with university drivers attached???

I watch Klipsch on ebay about twice a week. You should be able to pick up a close to period correct crossover with alot of dedication.

You can call my cell (419)-231-5494 but I will be OOT till Tuesday afternoon.

I woould keep all of the Patrician IV stuff, and build one. The books with the planns for one of these is readily available on ebay under Electro Voice.

Good Luck...... Roger

Roger,

The woofer is indeed a 103, LX2 and measures out at 3.4 ohms. There is not enough room in the speaker to get a good shot with my camera. Attached is the best I could do. Only cab A has the wooden K horn.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Cab B is 100% EV including the horn. The woofer looks new and has the original cone.

. Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here's the crossover in cab B. It is the same found in the Patrician.

Posted Image

I'm planning to get rid of these speakers and get my living room space back. I'm open to trades for 50s-60s guitar related stuff (guitars, amps, microphones, tube recording gear) if there is anyone close. I'm located in Portland, Oregon.

Roger,

Cab B is 100% EV including the horn. The woofer looks new and has the original cone.

. IMGP8137.jpg

IMGP8139.jpg

Wow, that 15WK looks MINT! One of the great woofers when properly crossed over within the system. The light is just right in the mirror to show the glint of the stamped "K" after the 15W, both in reverse, in the first pic above. It should be worth something in auction.

EDIT: Earlier in the thread, twistedcrankcammer said it would have an orange-red surround if it were an unreconed Klipsch 15WK, and that's my memory of it. If it doesn't, I wonder if it might be a non-Klipsch E-V 15WK, or re-coned.

Roger,

. IMGP8137.jpg

IMGP8139.jpg

Wow, that 15WK looks MINT! One of the great woofers when properly crossed over within the system. The light is just right in the mirror to show the glint of the stamped "K" after the 15W, both in reverse, in the first pic above. It should be worth something in auction.

EDIT: Earlier in the thread, twistedcrankcammer said it would have an orange-red surround if it were an unreconed Klipsch 15WK, and that's my memory of it. If it doesn't, I wonder if it might be a non-Klipsch E-V 15WK, or re-coned.

Larry C,

I have seen alot of Electro Voice 15W-Ks. The majority of them have been reconed long ago with the black surround with the EV printed on the dust cap. These orriginal replacement cones are no longer available. If it is a black surround recone, it is worth $150. If it has the orangish red surround, it could bring up to $250 if in perfect condition. The badge is the most valuable piece next to the surround. Even if it needs a recone, it is worth $100 with the badge. There are three diferent models of the EV 15W-K woofer; The newest or coffee can version has a cast aluminum housing over a ferrite magnet. This version looks like it has a chrome band or bowtie on the housing which is just a raised and polished part of the cover. The rest of the cover is the same tannish color. The coffee can version is the newest version, and is not worth much at all, $100 perfect. The other two versions have alnico magnets with steel housings. One of the reasons I wanted to see the badge was that if all these parts came from a Patrition IV, it could have been an EV 18W-K, and then we would be talking somw serious money. The version Nate has is the oldest version as evidenced by the badge and the the two machine screws going through the back of the magnet structure. The Stevens true sonic is worth a little more, I just saw one on ebay go for about $325.

Nate3200,

I thing it is a major shame that you don't restore these, but if you are going to part them out, I am interested in the Electro Voice EV 15W-K woofer, but will need full photos out of the cabinet. I will pay a fair price even if I have to get it reconed. I have been putting these woofers in all of my Heritage speakers.

Thanks.... Roger

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. First time poster. Just "inherited" an absolutely gorgeous Sept 1955 Klipschorn (a single one) Complete with orig wooden horn and Stevens woofer. Took some pics earlier today. Had to use a mirror for the rear of the Stevens. My research tells me everything is original except perhaps the EV tweeter horn as the date on is showed as 1958. Otherwise, I think i have something a tiny bit special. Cosmetics are beautiful. Be glad to post pics if anyone wants to see.

Hi. First time poster. Just "inherited" an absolutely gorgeous Sept 1955 Klipschorn (a single one)  Complete with orig wooden horn and Stevens woofer. Took some pics earlier today. Had to use a mirror for the rear of the Stevens. My research tells me everything is original except perhaps the EV tweeter horn as the date on is showed as 1958. Otherwise, I think i have something a tiny bit special. Cosmetics are beautiful. Be glad to post pics if anyone wants to see.

We love to see!!! nice inheritance....don't be shy to start your own thread....

Welcome to the madness!!!

• 1 month later...