Dynaco 60 wpc stereo tube amp kit

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about the kit in the link below? I am currently building a Cornscala and looking to drive them with a tube amp. I have very limited knowledge of tube amps and the ST-120 kit looks like an excellent opportunity to learn. I will be using a Juicymusic Blueberry for a preamp. Looking for guidance from the Klipsch gods.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstube&1217945905

Thanks in advance for your help,

Brian

The ST-70 is the best selling amplifier of all time. Even today rusty used ones sell for about one half that price. I had a pair. Tubes sound great with horns, if you have a subwoofer for the deep bass.

You can get tube amplifiers refurbished at NOSvalves for about half that price. You can buy complete new ones from ASL and Cayin for a few hundred dollars more. You can buy used models from ASL and Cayin for about that price.

If you just want a tube amp kit for the experience of building it; go for it. Otherwise, I would build a NOSvalves VRD amp instead for the better sound quality.

Find some folks in your area with tubes and give a listen.

You can spend 500 bucks or 5000 bucks, just depends how nitty gritty you want to get

I exchanged emails with that particular seller and found him to be very responsive and knowledgeable.

Price wise, your only 100 bucks above a standard ST-70 kit. If you check the details of the offering....the ST-120 has a lot of plus up's.

The ST-70 is the best selling amplifier of all time. Even today rusty used ones sell for about one half that price. I had a pair. Tubes sound great with horns, if you have a subwoofer for the deep bass.

But this kit isn't an ST-70. It uses 6550 or KT-88 output tubes. All parts are new, including the chassis, transformers, power supply and driver board. While it looks something like a Dynaco, it isn't one.

What draws me to this amp is the "Made in the USA" iron and the stainless steel chassis. Assembling the kit I believe would help me understand tube amps. All new parts are also a definite plus. I realize this isn't a true dynaco. I guess I shouldn't have put Dynaco in the title. How would this amp compare to a pair of VRD monoblocks by NOS valves?

I think it's great your even willing to consider building for yourself. For many, the learning (including making mistakes) is easily worth the investment, and for others not. Each to his or her own as far as values in that respect.

These have always looked like neat kits to me, and I thought I would leave the link just to check out. MANY people have done modifications to the famous ST-70, and I know of those who have done some of the modifications only to find they preferred the sound of the original. I've heard a couple of different takes on the circuit myself, and I think the original is still a really good design despite what others may say. I have the ability to carry out any of the available modifications, and I'm happy with the stock circuit -- At least for today! Again totally subjective.

Here's the ebay listing for Triode-Electronics: http://cgi.ebay.com/Triode-Electronics-ST70-Dynaco-ST-70-DIY-Tube-Amp-Kit_W0QQitemZ380044579282QQihZ025QQcategoryZ50593QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Erik

If there's something better for the money I'd sure like to know what it is.

A NOSvalved Scott 299-D ..... would be my first answer !!!!!!! ... You think $795. + shipping + NO TUBES is a good price, remember that is UNassembled ...........

If Erik's post is the same unit, it's $210. less ......... if that is an up to date ad !!!!

Apparently, Nailbender isn't afraid to build his own amp, and from what I've read about the provided instruction manual, one of Eric's fifth graders could do it. Just exactly how many tube amps have you owned -- you act like the 299 is the end-all in tube amps. Nailbender also owns a JM Blueberry, so why are beating him over the head with an integrated? Craig's Scotts are very nice (I've owned two), but if you already own a nice preamp it makes more sense to find a nice amp to match up with it. So what's wrong with this approach besides nothing? If you don't want to build it yourself you can get it to your doorstep ready to fire up for $1139, which is about 1/2 the price of a set of VRD's. If anyone here wants to make a case that the amp in question probably only sounds half as good as the VRD's because it's only half the money, then I guess that means it sounds twice as good as a Scott (which you can get for half the money) -- provided you can find a nice one that doesn't look like it's been used in drop tests off the back of a UPS truck.

Here is 60 wpc restored Scott LK-150. It took $900 in parts and labor to get it back to where it's supposed to be. Maybe he was overcharged, but here you go.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstube&1220634933

Here is a very clean looking 222D showing off Craig's exemplary work -- $700. So you see, a nice example is going to cost you.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatube&1219776818

Here's a 222C for $900. He says he's willing to put it up against amplifiers costing up to $6000. Wow.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstube&1217607230

exactly how many tube amps have you owned

Now what's the point of the lecture sonny??? I was just answering your question ..... not everyone likes putting things together, besides who said there was anything wrong with him putting together a kit ? I just stated that was alot of money for a KIT, that's all. Those Jubilee's have got you on edge, don't bark at me ..............

Relax... I realize everyone is very subjective on this forum. I encourage it. Let me ask this question... what makes a VRD amp voiced to a Klipsch speaker? I am not doubting the worthiness of the VRD, but it's out of my price range. Plus I'd like to assemble it to possibly mod it or repair it in the future. I hear that tube amps are high maintenance. I'm sure I'll get blasted with smart remarks, but it's like water off a duck's back. No worries.

For that kit, it's NOT a lot money -- the driver board alone goes for almost $200. Nailbender asked about an amp and says he has a preamp, you said it's a lot of money and he can do better, I ask what that might be -- and you recommend an integrated? btw, that wasn't a bark.

Relax... I realize everyone is very subjective on this forum. I encourage it. Let me ask this question... what makes a VRD amp voiced to a Klipsch speaker? I am not doubting the worthiness of the VRD, but it's out of my price range. Plus I'd like to assemble it to possibly mod it or repair it in the future. I hear that tube amps are high maintenance. I'm sure I'll get blasted with smart remarks, but it's like water off a duck's back. No worries.

Craig owns LaScalas and it's what he used to do all of his listening tests during the prototyping, and he has a hideous amount of time and work into getting them to where they finally ended up. Craig would have to provide the techincal information because I can't, and even if I could it would be inappropriate. BTW, Colin mentioned building a VRD, but there is no kit or schematic. Craig's driver board is kind of his own deal too, and you won't find him talking about it much here or anywhere else. The audio business if pretty cut-throat, and the last thing you want is someone ripping off and/or cloning your work.

Good tube amps are not "high maintenance", but they aren't plug, play, and forget either.

"For that kit, it's NOT a lot money -- "

That is a good deal. I had a Stereo 70 that came with its original sales receipt. As I recall it was about $103 in 1970. Per this site http://www.dollartimes.com/calculators/inflation.htm that is about $575 today and that is based on just inflation alone with no consideration to increases in material costs or the better parts in that kit.

Shawn