Speakerfritz Cornwalls VIA Chicago_Pete...early poll results are in...

...just got back from Chicago_Pete's after picking up my new Cornwall clones with cabinet by Speakerfritz...

first off, I had no intention of buying these when Pete posted these for sale at the end of June...I don't need any more speakers...but I have no real time with Cornwalls...it must have been the fates as no one else really bit on these Cornwalls with cabinet by Speakerfritz...and when Pete threw down the gauntlet of "Bill, get your butt over here and score these."...well, I did...

Pete sold me my first pair of Heresys about four years ago before he was on the Forum here and we have done a couple of deals over the years...straight shooter and great to deal with...plus I get to see whatever car he is messin' with...always an added treat...Pete is always a great host...thanks Pete!

I went with a buddy to pick these up today and they are quite sturdy and heavy but not bad with two guys...got them back to my house and my buddy had to run so I just placed them in the living room and hooked them up to the closest "set up" I have...the Nakamichi TA/2A SS receiver and a Sony DVD player...currently it is hooked up to run DVDs so I put on Diana Krall Live in Paris DVD in 2 channel stereo...

Let me tell you last weekend my brother and I went to Simlpy Stereo and I got to audition Cornwall IIIs there...I wasn't really thrilled with the sound but I know Cornwall IIIs sound great and it had to be the room with all the other speakers in it (this was the same room that the same pair of Klipschorns set up differently sounded thin in so I know placement can help)...I was a bit concerned that I might not be enamored with these Speakerfritz Cornwalls...all Cornwall parts...the bass woofer set up a little higher in the cabinet and crossed over a bit like IIIs according to Dr. Speakerfritz, all wired with new built crossovers and Mon$ter wire...well...I was worried for nothing!

On Diana Krall...Live in Paris DVD...they hit some bass notes...WOW... I have to say it again...WOW!...there is some kinda bass comin' out of these speakers...and they retain all of my favorite Heritage sound...this is where the IIIs I heard last weekend seemed a bit thin...in the mid horn and I know from hearing Corn IIIs at the Pilgrimages that they rock...Speakerfritz...your creations ROCK!

I have not carried these upstairs to the EICO or McIntosh...nor hooked them up downstairs to the Outlaw Audio HT ...not even the VRDs...those are right now hooked to Klipschorns but...I have to try 'em all right???

I promised that I would report and it has only been minutes since I have hooked thes up...they sound crisp, clean and clear with a nice amount of bass...I will report back when I listen further if you care to hear about 'em...gotta get ready to head in for a budget meeting tonight...picture the scene where the villagers are searching for the Frankenstein Monster...that ought to be fun!

To sum up for now...Speakerfritz you built an authoritative combination...Chicago_Pete...thanks for "makin'" me buy these...Nice!

Bill

Bruce,

The build thread in Pete's for sale post shows how high the woofers are placed. Basically, they are pretty much max out to increase the distance between the vents and the woofers for low end improvement, while reducing the distance between the woofer and the mid driver to improve point source imaging.

The crossover frequency is just under 800hz. The new cornwalls have an 800hz cutoff. The older ones use a 600 hz cut off. My purpose was to move more of the upper midbass material into the woofer rather than the horn.

Gentle sloping xovers were used.

Eggshell type foam was used on three of the internal sides.

Wired up with Monster cable XP which has the plastic core fishing line looking plastic line running thru the center of the cable.

yeah, I kinda thought you'd say that Big Smile

I didn't...I guess that's why I am so blown away...plus the price of admission was sweet...

I survived the meeting and came back (late) and stuck on Eagles in Melbourne...nice...lotsa bass...

Bill

The change in layout to the CW III motor board (moving the woofer upward in the cabinet) was done principally to reduce internal cabinet resonances.

Remember that the original CW was constructed pre Theil-Small.

If I may relate a quick story. The one time I spent a day with PWK, in 1985, and met a fellow by the name of Jim Hunter, when he had no gray hair (LOL, and neither did I), I mentioned the Cornwalls to PWK, while in the library.

I stated that I had read his Audio Papers and found it interesting that he had come up with a 4th order filter analogy for the bass reflex design of the Cornwal (1958) a full 3 years BEFORE Thiele's work in 1961, which was never published by the AES until 1971!! You should have seen the smile on his face when I said that! Anyway, Don Keele went over the design many years later and found the alignment to be very close to Thiele's Quasi-Butterworth 3rd order alignment, which yields the lowest modulation distortion..........hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

But then, he and Jim told me that the actual performance of the box was more cut, measure, and listen, rather than just the math, which is also outlined in the paper. Think about that, it was done exactly 50 years ago this year!!! How come no "Jubilee Cornwall" from KAT??

Almost as good as horn and much smaller.......................see my Avatar. LOL..................Peace.

""But then, he and Jim told me that the actual performance of the box was more cut, measure, and listen, rather than just the math, which is also outlined in the paper. Think about that, it was done exactly 50 years ago this year!!! How come no "Jubilee Cornwall" from KAT??""

It looks to me more of a consideration of wood enconomics. pair of cornwalls = 2 sheets plywood, LaScalas=3 sheets plywood, Hersey's = 1 sheet plywood, etc. Meaning, the final sizing was simply the largest size possible using the indicated number of sheets with minimal waste.

Sure you don't have that backwards?.... I mean I would like the story lots better if it turned out that plywood was sized to be 1 sheet = Heresys, 2 sheets = Cornwalls......

Bob

Thanks for the kind words but it certainly wasn't one sided.
Great to see you again and now I also have some new toys.
rb5.jpg
Too pretty for the garage.

My RB-5s are so wasted by the bedroom system duty.[:'(] Next year they go to AK Fest with new networks with tube amps.

Strong little speakers need strong anchoring. Once you get them anchored down to a 15 plus pound stand I think they beat a RF-3 by giant steps. My stands are 35 pounds.

The original prototype CW had a sliding door across a port opening. This was used for testing purposes to determine the correct port size by trial and error. I think I read (or heard) that they missed the T/S box volume by about 3% which is astronomically close for that era.