Using center channel speakers as main speakers?

So I am pretty new to the whole Home Theater thing, so be kind please[:D] I am wondering if it can be optimal to use the same speaker as center channel and right/left speakers? I already have an RC3 center channel and can get two more that are in great shape for my right and left speakers, could this kick butt? Thanks for your opinions guys!

Welcome to the forum.

I think it would work fine. If you've got a really good deal on the additional RC3's that nice. I would not recommend spending more money than it would cost to get a pair of, say, RB3's or RB5's. Both of these have a little more bass extension than the RC3.

The problem with doing this is that the frequency response on the center channel speaker does not go as low, an RC-3's frequency response is 62Hz-20kHz ±3dB while an RF-3's is 37Hz-20kHz ±3dB. You will get much better sound using the front mains than you would using the centers as mains.

Guest srobak

You would actually do better to use a regular L or R speaker as a center. You will notice a lot of guys with heritage speakers do this.

I am using a SUB-10 to fill all bass below ~90 hertz, so the lacking lower bass response of the RC-3s may not be an issue. I think that I'll go with the RC-3 as my mains, if it doesn't work out very well then I'll just sell them and upgrade. I'll let you guys know how it sounds, I am excited to see how the efficiency of the RC-3 as mains will improve over all midbass response.

silversport- The perfect matching is what I am really excited about, The bass response issue is actually not a big worry of mine since the L/R speakers that the RC-3 speakers would be replacing have a low pass cut off of 92 Hertz, so I know it will be an upgrade from there. As far asThe RF-5 speakers you mentioned, they are just out of my price range right now.

• 3 weeks later...

So I was cruising craigslist and saw a set of RF-3 tower speakers for sale, went and checked them out, asked what he wanted for them, the guy said "$100 for the pair" I almost fell over myself giving him the money. I am so excited, it made my year to get a deal like this!

So I was cruising craigslist and saw a set of RF-3 tower speakers for sale, went and checked them out, asked what he wanted for them, the guy said "$100 for the pair" I almost fell over myself giving him the money. I am so excited, it made my year to get a deal like this!

Congrats......Good for you [:D]

What kind of condition are they in?

Other than a couple of broken speaker grill pegs (go figure) that were still embeded in the peg holes, the speakers are in perfect condition. Just got the chance to really let them sing last night when we rented an action movie, they were simply awesome! I glued the pegs back onto the speaker grill covers with plastic epoxy and they are good as new. I am VERY happy with the RF-3 towers!!!