Score 4!

ClaudeJ1

In my quest fro sonic nirvana, I just scored 2 plus 2 Peavey MB-1 Midbass horns within a week, from 2 sources. One pair in large, heavy cabinets, one pair without. I know this is a Klipsch board, but I coudn't find an MSSM to go on top of my MWMS's, so this is the closest I could find that I can afford.

This horn is amazing
looking. It has a Phase plug that the 12" woofer feeds into, just like a
compression driver, with a molded "salad bowl" sized back air chamber,
totally sealed with 8 bolts. There is a 4" voice coil metal cap on it. It has an efficiency of 109 db/watt. It's
supposed to be the most kick butt mid bass horn ever made but few were
sold and made because of the size and expense. Shipping weight with all
the lumber housings was over 350 lbs. According to a 1981 spec sheet,
the horn is good from 150 Hz to 1.2 Khz which is PERFECT for 98% of the
vocal range without Xover anomalies................we shall see.

I
should get to plug one into my left channel tomorrow, since I have
parts from a KG-4 Xover that I can use........ to see how it compare
with my reference LaScala midbass (with the amazing K43 woofer).

May the best horn channel win!! I had a friend stand next to it for scale.

post-22904-1381939366289_thumb.jpg

Guest srobak

I don't recall where that pic is from, but I know the Carolina Panthers have a bunch in their stadium. I had to help re-position the ones at Spartan Stadium ages ago during a remodel (there were 4), but I think they are now long gone. 6 feet tall, 6 feet wide, and 7 feet deep. Absolute monsters at 750lbs... loaded with 6 15in drivers, 1 4in mid coupled to ahorn and 2 2.8in highs coupled to horns. 1200w cont, 3000w peak/prog, 112db

http://www.robak.net/downloads/leviathan-2.pdf

In my quest fro sonic nirvana, I just scored 2 plus 2 Peavey MB-1 Midbass horns within a week,

Lordy, seems more like a quest for a double hernia! Big Smile

I guess you have a heckabig room?

Actually, without the 18 cubic foot 3/4 Baltic birch enclosure, the horns are not that heavy. My basement is about 26x40 and split down the 26 foot dimension. To the left of the laundry room door, it is 6 feet to the cement wall and the room is 13.3 feet wide, which allows me to put everything in that area since it is useless for anything else. I had Khorns in there before, so, effectively the MWMS don't take up any more space. They do give me a large platform to put stuff on, including the upside down LaScala you see in my Avatar. I plan on aligning all of the voice coils on the horns back to the corners for acoustic time alignment. I want to control the position, angle, intensity of each horn separately and I'm investing in a measurement system next.......It will end up as a 3 or 4-way setup with passives or active Xover.

Changed the Xover point with the K55/K400 to 1Khz and left the JBL where it was, of course since all phoenolic drivers die at 6Khz.

Here's the best part. I tried an old Peavey 22A driver in the K400, still crossed at 1Khz, but now I don't need the JBL superteeter. Yes the HF dispersion is really narrow, especially compared to a JBL 2404, but it's crisp, clean and detailed.

The tonality seems to be there, with amazing lower midrange detail from the MB-1, especially on vocals, since it covers the ENTIRE vocal range without a Xover point..........not sure yet about upper midrange/lower treble as I'm only playing with the Crites Autoformer, caps and chokes..........First order only. I will want to use the Behringer DCS 2496 later on to play with Xover points, slopes, and PEQ's etc.

But for now, the crude results are encouraging. I just never thought I'd be using a K400 as a tweeter, but in looking back at PWK's original data in the Klipsch papers, he had curves showing that thing going way up there with a metal diaphragm driver in about 1964.

Looks about the right size for MWM's. Stick out tongue

Good of you to notice. I thought so too. As to the MB-1, it is the rarest and most efficient one from Peavey. The phase plug allow it to have to HF response, I guess. I noticed way more detail in the mid bass than the LaScala L vs. R channel. I may be selling 2 LaScalas soon..................